• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Howsie

International Captain
CD won both tests this summer for us single handedly tbh.:happy:
Yeah Bracewell goes alright, although that should be the first sign he isn't a true blue Central Stag. Born in Tauranga, ND age group rep, can bowl. Obviously a ND boy tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
Everyone knows the only good ND bowler is a bowler who left ND, therefore making them not ND anymore.

Boult the only exception.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How to make a rubbish commentary team even more rubbish - add 'Barry' Young. I only watched the highlights and they seemed diabolical...

How can Pollard's lbw be overturned with iffy camera work, no Eagle Eye/tracker etc? It was marginal at best.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can Pollard's lbw be overturned with iffy camera work, no Eagle Eye/tracker etc? It was marginal at best.
I thought that was pretty bizarre. With no tracking, how they could give that out I do not know. Also Doully showing he doesn't understand the Lbw law either from what I could glean - though it may have just been an atrocious job of explaining it.

thierry henry

International Coach
I thought that was pretty bizarre. With no tracking, how they could give that out I do not know. Also Doully showing he doesn't understand the Lbw law either from what I could glean - though it may have just been an atrocious job of explaining it.
Nope, I think he genuinely doesn't get it. Not the first person I've heard misunderstand the "assume a full toss is going straight on" thing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nope, I think he genuinely doesn't get it. Not the first person I've heard misunderstand the "assume a full toss is going straight on" thing.
I can't fin that rule in the rule book.

At least not in the versions I have seen I have only heard about it on TV.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, that was an atrocious piece of commentary. Basically Doully telling us that if you are hit on the full, you have to presume it is going straight on. So in Doull world, no matter what angle you release from, and no matter where the batsman is, as long as you hit him in front of all three on the full the umpire has to give it. Embarrasing.

I don't profess to know the rule inside out but doesn't it pertain to spinners and if a batsman is hit by a full toss it has to be presumed it's going straight on?

As for those who didn't see it - Bates was bowling to Pollard, hit him on the back of the foot with a full toss. They went upstairs (sorry if I'm missing parts, I only watched the highlights) and checked it without the aid of Eagle Eye/tracking data etc. It looked to me to be missing off or at the very most shaving it - which last time I checked would suggest there's benefit of the doubt to be had.
Meanwhile, Doull is telling us 'there's no doubt' it's out because it hit him (maybe, hard to tell whether the camera was right down the barrel) on off stump on the full and it has to be presumed it's going straight on. Ignore the fact that Bates released it from left-arm over. And he felt vindicated - and Rigor gave him the opportunity to be so - when it was given out.

HeathDavisSpeed

I don't profess to know the rule inside out but doesn't it pertain to spinners and if a batsman is hit by a full toss it has to be presumed it's going straight on?
If a batsman's hit on the full, you cannot assume that any movement would occur were the ball to bounce. Whatever trajectory the ball was following, you assume it continues along the same trajectory. With Pollard being hit on off stump by a ball coming across him, I think the assumption was that the ball continued on a straight line to hit the stumps, rather than continuing along the trajectory that the ball had taken; which would have had it missing off. However, the ball had started to swing in so I think it was only missing by a couple of inches rather than half a foot.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, that was my understanding as well.

I'd be pretty mad if I was Pollard. No way should that have been overturned and he was potentially a match-winner

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If a batsman's hit on the full, you cannot assume that any movement would occur were the ball to bounce. Whatever trajectory the ball was following, you assume it continues along the same trajectory. With Pollard being hit on off stump by a ball coming across him, I think the assumption was that the ball continued on a straight line to hit the stumps, rather than continuing along the trajectory that the ball had taken; which would have had it missing off. However, the ball had started to swing in so I think it was only missing by a couple of inches rather than half a foot.
Quote from the rules please...with link...i will take a look myself.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently what happened was the umpire went upstairs to check it hadn't been hit. He thought in his own mind it was out lbw but wanted to check whether there was an edge. So it wasn't reviewed, as such.

HeathDavisSpeed

Apparently what happened was the umpire went upstairs to check it hadn't been hit. He thought in his own mind it was out lbw but wanted to check whether there was an edge. So it wasn't reviewed, as such.
Didn't know that you could do either for Lbws without the proper DRS system in place, tbf.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Makes two of us. Seems a bit Michael Mouse to me - you either have the whole thing or nothing at all.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I remember last year they said that they would review things like the batsman hitting the ball and close catches but wouldn't review anything else.