• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 8 - Australia v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Great win by Australia tonight.

For a team that is ranked #1, has won the past 3 World Cups and have won the vast majority of their ODIs over the past few years, we seem to be copping a lot of criticism.

I'm not saying that much of the criticism isn't deserved. I believe we should have included M Hussey in the squad, as well as a few other things. But the truth is, we are winning. People can talk as much as they want about our inability to play spin, or Clarke being too slow, or having too many attacking bowlers or how we lost our warm up matches. The list goes on and on.

I don't care how quickly Clarke scores, or about any other of these issues......so long as we score 1 more run than the other team in each game I'm happy.

(I hope this makes sense, and doesn't look like I am completely missing the point)

Redbacks

International Captain
Really have to hope that Ponting catches fire in this WC, if he does we can definitely win it, otherwise we need 4,5,6 to all perform a bit above their normal which I don't see as all that likely. Nor is it likely that Ponting will fire, hence we fall against the first serious contender should we make the knockout stage.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Step two complete
Exactly. An emphatic display of not-peaking-too-soon from NZ last night. Excellent tactics to leave well-known trump card Kyle Mills up the sleeve as well.

I can't see us beating Australia when they have three express pace bowlers. So we'll just have to rely on someone else knocking them out so we don't meet them in the semi or the final :happy:

Spark

Global Moderator
Great win by Australia tonight.

For a team that is ranked #1, has won the past 3 World Cups and have won the vast majority of their ODIs over the past few years, we seem to be copping a lot of criticism.

I'm not saying that much of the criticism isn't deserved. I believe we should have included M Hussey in the squad, as well as a few other things. But the truth is, we are winning. People can talk as much as they want about our inability to play spin, or Clarke being too slow, or having too many attacking bowlers or how we lost our warm up matches. The list goes on and on.

I don't care how quickly Clarke scores, or about any other of these issues......so long as we score 1 more run than the other team in each game I'm happy.

(I hope this makes sense, and doesn't look like I am completely missing the point)
Anyone who complains about Clarke's SR yesterday is a fool of the highest order.

Unless, of course, they picked Clarke to have the highest SR :unsure:

Spark

Global Moderator
But in part, that's one of the secrets to Johnson's success here. In England and at times in Australia, he has tried to bend it like Beckham, only to spray it like a sprinkler. In India, there is no expectation that he will swing the ball, so he is free to bowl in his natural style, angling the ball across with slight variations in movement off the pitch, and getting the occasional one to lift into the ribs.
Makes sense tbh.

salman85

International Debutant
The best part about New Zealand's loss is that Bennett will be dropped for the next game.

Oh the joy.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Dire.

- Batsman getting themselves out
- ********, logic-defying team selection

Just another day in NZ cricket.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum still got it with the gloves obviously.
I remember him standing up to the opening bowlers in the Kings High First XI, and he nailed one of our batsmen (club side) with such a stumping. Ridiculously quick reflexes.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd like to see that. Mills offers more with the bat than How at the moment tbh, so such a move wouldn't weaken the batting.
Agree entirely, and with NcCullum's form it isn't like it is the lower order that is exactly our weakpoint right now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agree entirely, and with NcCullum's form it isn't like it is the lower order that is exactly our weakpoint right now.
Yeah if How has the play (and that's a gigantic if) the current batting lineup makes no sense. Get him up the order to protect Ryder and Taylor a little more. If the top order does its job (another big if) then I actually think the likes of Nathan McCullum and Kyle Mills would be more useful coming in at 7 then How anyway. It's almost like New Zealand had resigned themselves to needing the #7 to come in and see off the new ball - surely enough it happened that way!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ should really consider reversing their batting lineup. It's amazing how often the bottom 5 score more than the top 6.

Howsie

International Captain
NZ should really consider reversing their batting lineup. It's amazing how often the bottom 5 score more than the top 6.
You mean that's not what they're already doing? Because surely it's the only explanation for why Brendon McCullum is continuing to open and why James Franklin is batting ahead of one of New Zealand crickets most successful world cup batsmen in Scott Styris. Forget all this talk about the wrong bowlers being selected, the batting line up is a joke and has been for quite sometime.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You mean that's not what they're already doing? Because surely it's the only explanation for why Brendon McCullum is continuing to open and why James Franklin is batting ahead of one of New Zealand crickets most successful world cup batsmen in Scott Styris. Forget all this talk about the wrong bowlers being selected, the batting line up is a joke and has been for quite sometime.
Yeah I like Franklin in the team but he should be used as a finisher/hitter. I have no idea why he's at 5 ahead of Styris, particularly in situations when NZ lose three quick ones.

As for McCullum opening - well it's a better idea than Ryder opening or How playing.