• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 8 - Australia v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I don't subscribe to any one theory on what to do with our batting. But I'm not against

Marsh
Watson
Khawaja
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin

Jayzamann

International Regular
I know it would just be another thing to complain about (more channel nine commentary), but it still surprises me at just how little analysis nine puts into the cricket. They're always falling over themselves to start the movie.

pup11

International Coach
How much more compact are their techniques though? Ponting has always relied on his eye, picking up length early, and his quick hands. Do any of Tendulkar, Kallis or Jayawardene bat at three in Tests anyway?

If you look at his technique carefullly, you'll notice limitations that have nothing to do with his mental focus.
Well I would back a bloke like Ponting to make the right decision, he is the 2nd highest run-scorer in international cricket history and I think he would just leave when he realises his time has passed.

Anyways good win for us today the annoying thing though of course is that now we don't play a game for more than a week!!

TumTum

Banned
Wouldn't read too much into it, everybody and his dog lays into NZ these days. Good professional display from Australia though, and the bowlers made the most of some slight assistance in the morning, making it a pretty one-sided affair.
Haha that's true, SL match will be a better indicator. But I liked the fact that everything clicked for us, there were always negatives in our wins previously.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much maligned and rightly so for a good while, but Clarke has been good since the mid way point of the series vs England after the Ashes.
Agreed. Everything about his batting and his balance at the crease is starting to look much better. A bit of confidence can do funny things.

pup11

International Coach
I don't subscribe to any one theory on what to do with our batting. But I'm not against

Marsh
Watson
Khawaja
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin
Haha..you are gonna persist with bunch of 36 year olds and yet drop Clarke..??

Even if one overlooks the fact that Marsh is inconsistent and highly injury prone, still Marsh at best is only a candidate to fill #6 slot because he doesn't have the technique to open the batting in test cricket IMO.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Well, I've plotted New Zealand's path to winning the World Cup. Nostradamus has spoken - these are the nine no-nonsense guaranteed steps to World Cup glory. Place your bets now. Doubters be warned.

Step 1) Beat Kenya.
Step 2) Do the expected thing and lose to Australia. Do not under any circumstances beat Australia, as this will cause teams to mentally move NZ from 'speed bump' to 'possible threat'. It's important not to peak early.
Step 3) Tactical loss to Zimbabwe, confirming to everyone that New Zealand are a bunch of complete no-hopers with no chance whatsoever in the tournament.
Step 4) Batsmen get themselves into form with a confidence boosting 320 batting first against Pakistan. Then bowlers bowl half volleys and half-trackers to Abdul Razzaq and Shahid Afridi as Pakistan get there in 37 overs.
Step 5) Manage to beat Canada comfortably, despite John Davison scoring a quick 70 from 40 balls.
Step 6) Narrowly beat an understrength Sri Lanka (who have already qualified) and sneak into the quarter finals on net run rate.
Step 7) Somehow end up playing the West Indies in the quarter finals. They have one of their off days and self destruct batting first. NZ limp to 153/6 in entirely unconvincing fashion and take the match.
Step 8) Play South Africa in the semi final. They enter the match as overwhelming favourites and do what South Africa does best.
Step 9) The Indian papers have already printed their celebratory headlines for the next day. But MS Dhoni has a nervous breakdown under the pressure while NZ play out of skins and beat India in the final. The stars align... This is just going to be the 1-in-20 day when everything goes right.

<Picture of Vettori holding up the trophy>

Step two complete

Spark

Global Moderator

Even if one overlooks the fact that Marsh is inconsistent and highly injury prone, still Marsh at best is only a candidate to fill #6 slot because he doesn't have the technique to open the batting in test cricket IMO.
Nnanden always picks more or less that side tbf. He has his own reasons.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitch's form is scarily good ATM. He's bowling very accurately as well. Can see him being the bowling wildcard that Australia invariably manage to pull out of their arse come WC time. How do the ****s do it? :@

Spark

Global Moderator
Agreed. Everything about his batting and his balance at the crease is starting to look much better. A bit of confidence can do funny things.
His pull shot at least is so much better looking now. A genuine pull shot with his own wristy style.

Better than that front foot flail he was playing during the Ashes, anyway.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

As I just said, it's not the only scenario I am content with, just one of them.

Yeah, I would drop the guy who average less than Steve Smith in The Ashes, and has a huge flaw in his technique, and keep the guy who saved us big time, and the Australian all-time great batsman, as discussed a million times before.

I fail to understand how making runs as an opener in First Class Cricket makes him a candidate for the number six position, but okay. He averaged 60 last season, and is averaging 60 again this season, that's pretty consistent.

Regardless, not the thread for it.

Blaze 18

Banned
Mitch's form is scarily good ATM. He's bowling very accurately as well. Can see him being the bowling wildcard that Australia invariably manage to pull out of their arse come WC time. How do the ****s do it? :@
That is the incredible thing about Australia. Like I said in one of the other threads, someone always seems to put their hand up and deliver; it is just amazing. I won't be surprised one bit if Steven Smith scores a match-winning century in the World Cup final, or if Jason Krejza picks up a match-winning fiver. Hell, I can even see Tait hitting a last ball six to seal a fifth World Cup win. In other words - Australianism.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, thought a wildcard would have to be more inexperienced than a bowler with 91 ODIs and an average of 25.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is there so much discussion about Australia's Test team in a WC match thread? I thought someone wanted Khawaja in the ODI team for a second and I was about to go on a massive rant. Confusing, guys. :p

Spark

Global Moderator
Why is there so much discussion about Australia's Test team in a WC match thread? I thought someone wanted Khawaja in the ODI team for a second and I was about to go on a massive rant. Confusing, guys. :p
Go post some averages. Or better, tell us when the match is :ph34r: