• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 5 - England v Netherlands

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder if, given the closeness of the England-Windies-Bangladesh teams in this group, England's close win today could harm their NRR by the end of the group stages.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Anyone know why Mark Jonkman or his brother aren't in the netherlands squad? I thought Mark was ment to be a good bowler with abit of pace?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Anyone know why Mark Jonkman or his brother aren't in the netherlands squad? I thought Mark was ment to be a good bowler with abit of pace?
Apparently Mark Jonkman was reported to have a suspect bowling action a few months ago. I don't know what the end up verdict was though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FC - 3665 @ 38.98 & 134 @ 35.08
OD - 1772 @ 37.70 & 56 @ 34.07 (6.15 per over)
T20 - 916 @ 27.75 & 23 @ 22.86 (7.30 per over)

If that's what you call excellent then you have a very generous description of excellent.
Still be a decent replacement for Colly and I would take him Ravi, Yardy, Wright et cetera. But I don't think RTD has any ambition of playing for England, especially with the IPL deal he just inked and with his 31st birthday approaching. He said during the 2007 WC that he wanted to represent South Africa but that boat has surely sailed too.

Tremendous batting display by the Dutch. As I said yesterday they have got the batting but their bowling is completely popgun and probably the worst of the associates, no pace, no decent spinner, just trundlers.

These sort of games work best when the minnow bats first. Saves 350+ totals being scored and 200 run defeats from occurring. Even though England were never troubled in their chase it at least feels like the WC has begun now.

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Apparently Mark Jonkman was reported to have a suspect bowling action a few months ago. I don't know what the end up verdict was though.
Thanks, i thought that was like 6 months ago, thought i'd seen him playing in other ICC cup matches since then and assumed he was cleared. Maybe it's still that keeping him out.

joels344

U19 Debutant
This was easily the most exciting game of the WC so far. Impressive batting from the Netherlands and one hell of a good chance by England.

Ryan ten Doeschate is a fabulous cricketer. I loved his all-round performance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't do better than that without an infraction!

Thanks for the SMS telling me they won at 4 a.m. You will keep.
Haha, touche.

As for the txt, I replied as soon as I got yours but I did have crap signal all days. I'd apologise if you weren't a.......( )

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has a 38.8 degree flexion on his bouncer. Must be one of the worst actions ever. It's like those news reports of the drunk driver: "Over two and a half times over the legal limit"

Stapel

International Regular
Darn, after 46 overs I really figured we had England on the brink of defeat. They needed over 8 runs an over. That is more than they managed in 2009's T20 during the last 3 overs. But then we had Nannes. And thta's it, we really were one or two fine bowlers short :( .

He (well, it might have been his brother :) ) was sitting in a pub in The Hague yesterday. As was Lord's T20 hero Schiferli. In the end, we lacked such bowlers to really put England on the backfoot in the last 5 overs.

As other have said, Mark Jonkman bends his elbow a tad bit too much. If I'm not mistaken, his brother has the same problem.

Has a 38.8 degree flexion on his bouncer. Must be one of the worst actions ever. It's like those news reports of the drunk driver: "Over two and a half times over the legal limit"
One thing you should realise is that in The Netherlands itself and in associate matches, players and their actions are not even nearly as much debated, reviewed, monitored, suspended or altered as in Full Member's own backyard. I'm pretty sure Jonkman's action would have been addressed 5 years earlier, would he have been English. That's not an excuse, but simply an aspect of a sport that is only played by 5000 people (including women and expats).

Stapel

International Regular
FC - 3665 @ 38.98 & 134 @ 35.08
OD - 1772 @ 37.70 & 56 @ 34.07 (6.15 per over)
T20 - 916 @ 27.75 & 23 @ 22.86 (7.30 per over)

If that's what you call excellent then you have a very generous description of excellent.
Actually, that is excellent! As a batsman, he consequently scores more runs per wicket than he concedes runs per wicket as a bowler in all formats. Very very few players manage that in the England domestic competitions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just because his batting is higher than his bowling there's still no clear position he could take in a top International side - he's not that regular (or good enough) a bowler to be even a 5th bowler and his batting isn't good enough to be a top order batsman. A bits and pieces pick of the 90s maybe, but not nowadays.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because his batting is higher than his bowling there's still no clear position he could take in a top International side - he's not that regular (or good enough) a bowler to be even a 5th bowler and his batting isn't good enough to be a top order batsman. A bits and pieces pick of the 90s maybe, but not nowadays.
Definitely looked better than a bits and pieces cricketer to me TBH. Better (or atleast no worse) than Collingwood as a bowler and a proper batsman as well. Not sure what he would average if he batted for one of the top nations playing mostly Test teams, but I'd estimate atleast 35. Hard to say on such a small sample though.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
His List A batting for Essex has been really good the last few seasons (averages 2008 - 43, 2009 - 48, 2010 - 54). You'd have thought that if he'd been English he may have had a chance.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If he was English I'm sure he'd get picked up.

But the real question is why South Africa haven't picked him up. Rich man's Albie Morkel.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One thing you should realise is that in The Netherlands itself and in associate matches, players and their actions are not even nearly as much debated, reviewed, monitored, suspended or altered as in Full Member's own backyard. I'm pretty sure Jonkman's action would have been addressed 5 years earlier, would he have been English. That's not an excuse, but simply an aspect of a sport that is only played by 5000 people (including women and expats).
Please don't think I was having a pop at the Dutch system, I think you chaps work wonders to be as competitive as you are given the minority status of the sport over there. I was just surprised the mean reading was so far over the tolerance limit.

It's not like we're without form in that regard either, I always reserved my doubts about James Kirtley's action, hyperextension notwithstanding.

His List A batting for Essex has been really good the last few seasons (averages 2008 - 43, 2009 - 48, 2010 - 54). You'd have thought that if he'd been English he may have had a chance.
Lack of Englishness not usually that much of an impediment to selection, tbf. :whistling

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If he was English I'm sure he'd get picked up.

But the real question is why South Africa haven't picked him up. Rich man's Albie Morkel.
You think? Albie is the better bowler, was at a time a genuine international class seamer and I don't think there is much between them with the bat. Just that Albie's never been given the opportunities up the order for South Africa. If RTD was available to South Africa he would be batting in the same position as Albie (7) and I know who I would take there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You think? Albie is the better bowler, was at a time a genuine international class seamer and I don't think there is much between them with the bat. Just that Albie's never been given the opportunities up the order for South Africa. If RTD was available to South Africa he would be batting in the same position as Albie (7) and I know who I would take there.
I'd guess he is. He'd have to give up his "domestic" status at Essex, but it's been done before: McLaren, Rudolph & Harris off the top of my head.