• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 36 - England v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blaze 18

Banned
Massive game for both sides; should be a cracker. If the pitch is anything like the England-South Africa one, Graeme Swann's going to wreak havoc on West Indies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hope the selectors grasp the nettle and drop Jimmy.

They weren't afraid to make the big call to drop Finn in the Ashes, who was our leading wicket taker but whose profligacy had cost us dearly in a low scoring test at the WACA. Surely being expensive is even more of a sin in limited overs cricket?

I think two spinners is a must for Chennai, so think Yardy is likely to replace one of Colly or Ravi. I'm not sure if it says more of his decline as a batsman or our lack of spinning options, but we almost miss KP as much for his offies as his runs just now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hope the selectors grasp the nettle and drop Jimmy.

They weren't afraid to make the big call to drop Finn in the Ashes, who was our leading wicket taker but whose profligacy had cost us dearly in a low scoring test at the WACA. Surely being expensive is even more of a sin in limited overs cricket?

I think two spinners is a must for Chennai, so think Yardy is likely to replace one of Colly or Ravi. I'm not sure if it says more of his decline as a batsman or our lack of spinning options, but we almost miss KP as much for his offies as his runs just now.
The other precedent for dropping Jimmy was the last 2020WC, when Flower did exactly that.

Given Yardy's direness and the likely pitch tomorrow, you do have to wonder exactly why Tredwell's in the squad if he doesn't play against WI.

Colly vs Bopara is an interesting call. Bopara has at least played a couple of decent knocks in this tourny, and he does have form against WI, albeit in the longer form of the game. But Colly's off-cutters would be missed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As Tredwell is an offie, I'm assuming he's in the squad to replace Swann in the event that Swann gets injured.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If England lose, the quarterfinalists from this group are confirmed, right... SA, India, WI and Bangladesh in no particular order?
What if the game ties?
Then England are ****ed.
England will need Bangladesh to lose to SA
Haha, you crazy kids.

If England lose this game they will be knocked out, and Bangladesh will go through. If they win, tie or it is rained out, they will progress, assuming South Africa beat Bangladesh. If the Deshis get up, it doesn't matter what England do today.

It's all explained here.

Woodster

International Captain
Would remain sceptical over the possible impact of Yardy even on a pitch that may slightly assist him. Would much prefer the inclusion of both Collingwood and Bopara, don't think including those two weakens the bowling at all, yet it would certainly strengthen the batting.

Have hopes for Bell being moved up to open, though I presume the long-running Prior experiment will persevered with, and maybe because of the way Anderson bowled on this pitch against SA where he managed to get just enough out of the track to be effective, they may also stick with him in the hope he can replicate that performance.

Huge game for us, really have no idea which way it's going to go.

Quaggas

State Captain
Haha, you crazy kids.

If England lose this game they will be knocked out, and Bangladesh will go through. If they win, tie or it is rained out, they will progress, assuming South Africa beat Bangladesh. If the Deshis get up, it doesn't matter what England do today.

It's all explained here.
I think 8ankitj is responding to a WI-Eng tie scenario - then if Ban loses to SA, Eng will go through on NNR.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The sooner we dismiss the idea of Yardy as a second spinner the better. He's a medium pacer. If the pitch is very conductive to spin, Yardy won't benefit any more than Collingwood. If England want to play two spinners they should bring in Tredwell, not that I rate him that highly, but he's the only other genuine spinner in the squad. Bresnan at 7 and Swann at 8 seems fine to me, so he can come in for Collingwood if necessary. I still think that's a tactic strictly for an absolute bunsen only though.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, you crazy kids.

It's all explained here.
If we win and Bangas beat Saffa I think we can still go through if India beat Windies, right?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I think 8ankitj is responding to a WI-Eng tie scenario - then if Ban loses to SA, Eng will go through on NNR.
Haha, you crazy kids.

It's all explained here.
:thumbsup:

If we win and Bangas beat Saffa I think we can still go through if India beat Windies, right?
Correct.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently Miller is to be dropped and Bishoo will make his debut tonight. There's a few other rumours circling around on Caribbeancricket.com around the supposed team tactics. Not sure how reliable they all are though