• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 21 - England v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooextracool

International Coach
Well this is an extremely flat pitch. Its a bit hard to say that England are back in the game when they are on track to get 220 odd on a 300+pitch as these commentators seem to think

SeamUp

International Coach
This is one of those backwards sub-continental pitches thats for sure.

new ball spinners pitch
&
old ball fast-bowling pitch

Steyn got a hint of reverse in the 15th over

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a decent recovery from England, SA bowled superbly at the start. You feel that they could still run through England's lower middle order if they get one or two more wickets here.

I think a score of 220+ would be quite acceptable from England's point of view. Maybe Smith is giving a few too many overs to the part-timers. SA have an embarrassment of wealth in terms of bowling options.

vcs

Trott's temperament in situations like this is quite impressive. When you consider the fragility that England's middle and lower order have shown in this tournament, there must have been huge pressure at 15/3.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Colly but we've retained Yardy and Anderson. Interesting call. Ravi dogging it out here so looks to be justifying the selectorial bravery. Ha, and that's more than hanging in there. Dorothy down the ground.

Also: when did SA get a spin attack? Even without Botha they suddenly have 4 genuine(ish) options.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think we can safely say that England have pulled this back into a reasonable state. 3/99 is not the worst position to be in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we can safely say that England have pulled this back into a reasonable state. 3/99 is not the worst position to be in.
Have you not seen our middle order lately? Rav or Trotters goes and we're in the mire.

Just seen the wickets. A very decent nut to get KP, but Bell and the skipper will be disappointed.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but it's not the worst position. Worse is like 5/50.

Why Peterson is only bowling his fifth now is mildly beyond me.

vcs

It's uncanny how often KP gets out to left-arm spinners. It's such an inexplicable weakness.

Spark

Global Moderator
Might be nice if Trott werent batting like its the 1992 world cup, but I suppose this is a recovery nonetheless.
Sometimes you gotta get past SR and stuff though. Not much good getting 30 in 40 if it only means a 60-run partnership.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm. Not the finest piece of cricket all-round, although a great effort. Very harsh to call those a drop in the same sense when you do actually catch the ball.

Trott goes anyway. What is it with England and throwing away easy wickets to spinners? First Smith in Aus, now here.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kallis back on to Prior. Good call, IMHO. Prior def stronger against spin early doors, which is why him opening was always such a duff idea.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Hey guys, Only just started watching the match and immediately Trott gone. Can anybody tell me what is the pitch like? Does it have something for the bowlers or SA bowled really well?

vcs

Morkel has conceded just 11 from his 4, Smith should look to get him on. SA have so many options, they can even afford to give Kallis a rest and save himself for his batting.

EDIT : And he promptly bowls a maiden. Forget what I just said. :laugh: