• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm usually the first to talk about how high variance batting is and how **** it is to make sweeping statements about how right you were about someone sucking based on one innings, but who else is totally unsurprised that Roy and Denly not only failed but looked totally unsuited to the job at hand?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm usually the first to talk about how high variance batting is and how **** it is to make sweeping statements about how right you were about someone sucking based on one innings, but who else is totally unsurprised that Roy and Denly not only failed but looked totally unsuited to the job at hand?
Haha looking at the posts I missed between the toss and making this one, plenty of you.

Groundking

International Debutant
Well Denly has been in good form recently, so I didn't expect him to look quite that bad, but yeah it's unsurprising.

Got to admire our commitment to being 30 odd for 3 no matter the circumstance :laugh:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great start, but somehow I'm unsuprised.

This is where the real batting starts, though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Denly looked okay tbf. Until he didn't, obviously. He's in great form too.

Incremental improvements, we're going at a decent run rate, so the usual 15/3 is instead 36/3.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
England's top order really is shocking. It was against us also. Joe Root is going to have to be in the form of his life during the Ashes.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good stuff. This is where England's batting really starts, I guess..

Groundking

International Debutant
If we're going to be 30 odd for 3 every ****ing game anyway what's the point of not just bitting the bullet and having JYB open anyway, it's not like he's not batting against the new ball already anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well Denly has been in good form recently, so I didn't expect him to look quite that bad, but yeah it's unsurprising.
The fact that so many people refer to his recent runs as "good form" rather than "improvement" says a lot IMO.

**** players who are in good form are still ****. And "**** but in good form" is precisely what he looked like. A few of those earlier boundaries would've been edged on a less decisive day for him without doubt IMO; in fact one of them was and went through fourth slip. His defensive technique is miles better than Roy's but you can't be that loose on the drive against the new ball on Day 1.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
As you then said, pretty much all of us. The worse news is that come the Ashes 36 for 3 will be something of a golden age. Credit to the guys running the game. It takes quite something to produce a domestic system that produces absolutely no serious contenders to bat in the top 3.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I hope England is seriously considering playing Woakes, Sam, Moeen and Stokes as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th bowler in the Ashes. Their batting needs the extra cushion.