• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where did I say "haha Australia suck"?

I'm not saying I disagree with it, but I really don't remember posting it in the last 30 minutes.

Am I going senile too?
It wasn't a literal quote. You compared Eng/Scot/Aus and Burgey took the bait. So don't try to claim that Burgey was the one to start anything. It's always you.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
It wasn't a literal quote. You compared Eng/Scot/Aus and Burgey took the bait. So don't try to claim that Burgey was the one to start anything. It's always you.
It wasn't bait. Wasn't even a lure.

I am really looking forward to Eng v Ind. For odi fans, like myself, this series is huuuuuuuge. Epic. It is the odi series of 2018 (even without Stokes and Woakes).

This is Kohli v Buttler.

Root v Sharma.

Dhawan v Bairstow.

Ali v Pandya.

I really can't wait.

I really wish Stokes and Woakes were playing - but because India is away - this series is game on big time!

Try smashing Bumrah for 6 you bullies.

Last edited:

Burgey

Noooooooo, NZ were 2-3 in England last ODI series. 2-3 at home too earlier this year (went to a decider). Much better than Straya's home and away record v England of late.

Check out the rankings, Australia is 6th and NZ 4th for a reason. Heck, NZ hasn't lost an ODI series at home to Aus in the last 3 Chapell Hadlee's in God's own.
I was talking about the test series mate. No one in their right mind gives a flying **** about ODI series which aren't the WC.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I was talking about the test series mate. No one in their right mind gives a flying **** about ODI series which aren't the WC.
Oh - I am not in your right mind then. But as for tests, Aus lost in Ind in their last series there. And Aus in Eng too since 2001.

Not quite sure where you're going with this tbh.

But any way - a non-right mind **** like me loves odi cricket. So bring this series on already.

This is Ind v Eng ODI supremacy on the line.

If Ind win - they have claims, good claims for being the WC favourites (I really rate Woakes too but still)

Last edited:

Burgey

I understand that as a n00b you aren't across all of the mystic CW ways, but generally speaking if someone here mentions a "series" without specifying the format, the default presumption is test matches. Ditto with talking about player comparisons.

Thank me later.

TheJediBrah

eh Miyagi's right about Australia/NZ in these conditions at least. I'm not certain but I'd bet that NZ have had more success in England than Aus have recently (as in this millenium)

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I understand that as a n00b you aren't across all of the mystic CW ways, but generally speaking if someone here mentions a "series" without specifying the format, the default presumption is test matches. Ditto with talking about player comparisons.

Thank me later.
The default may be - but I posted the ICC ODI rankings, and mentioned Scotland, and talked about Chappell-Hadlee, from the context - if you didn't get that I was talking ODI and not tests; Trundler may have a remedy for you. Not saying I agree with him, but his view may carry some weight.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
eh Miyagi's right about Australia/NZ in these conditions at least. I'm not certain but I'd bet that NZ have had more success in England than Aus have recently (as in this millenium)
NZ drew their in tests in 2015 (and really was in a position to win) for much of the series.

If you mean ODI - NZ was 2-3 last tour there in 2015.

Aus were saved by the rain in 2017 Champs Trophy v NZ according to Punter and more CA "experts". Check the scorecard already. And NZ's middle orer was a joke with Neesham, CdG and Corey with - Ronchi. Ugh.

If you aren't aware that Santner is a good odi spinner and Boult can swing the ball - that is your call. But KW, Rossco and Guppie make ODI runs in England. Plenty of them.

English conditions are very similar to a lot of NZFC conditions.

NZ may lose to Eng, but we push them to the limit of late.

But really it is time to discuss BK amd Bumrah, VK and Sharma.

Buttler and Bairstow. Plunkett and Ali.

Last edited:

Burgey

I wouldn't know about that. Does NZ play away test series these days? I know they're meant to be the masters of swinging and seam conditions, given they have the White Wasim apparently opening the bowling for them and their own conditions are meant to be conducive, but Australia dicked them in NZ about a year ago. I remember that vividly, because I believe none other than Neil Harvey said it was the greatest triumph by the Australian cricket team since 1948, such was the greatness of the opposition.

So, without having actually being bothered to look it up, I can't imagine NZ have been too successful in England recently either. If I'm wrong though, I would be grateful if you would start a separate thread to discuss this issue, so that we can return to the topic at hand.

TheJediBrah

Don't get me wrong, NZ v Aus has almost never been close. The only series that was even remotely competitive since I've been alive was 2011 and that was because it was a 2 Test series and NZ managed to win the 2nd game on a Hobart minefield by a handful of runs. But they seem to have had more success in England and India than Aus have, since 2004ish at least.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I wouldn't know about that. Does NZ play away test series these days? I know they're meant to be the masters of swinging and seam conditions, given they have the White Wasim apparently opening the bowling for them and their own conditions are meant to be conducive, but Australia dicked them in NZ about a year ago. I remember that vividly, because I believe none other than Neil Harvey said it was the greatest triumph by the Australian cricket team since 1948, such was the greatness of the opposition.

So, without having actually being bothered to look it up, I can't imagine NZ have been too successful in England recently either. If I'm wrong though, I would be grateful if you would start a separate thread to discuss this issue, so that we can return to the topic at hand.
A year ago? 2015/16 is a tad over a year.

It didn't swing, it didn't seam, Lyon though was amazing.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Don't get me wrong, NZ v Aus has almost never been close. The only series that was even remotely competitive since I've been alive was 2011 and that was because it was a 2 Test series and NZ managed to win the 2nd game on a Hobart minefield by a handful of runs. But they seem to have had more success in England and India than Aus have, since 2004ish at least.
It's not time to make a change,
Just relax, take it easy
You're still young, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to know
Find a girl, settle down,
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

Mr Miyagi

Banned

Love it - even Boulty would as Wasim is who he is trying to emulate - but Wags troubled Aus more in that series. He went all "leg theory 3.0" not seen since Larwood and WI in the second test and it caught on from there.

Boult was recovering from injury and only caused issues in the Adelaide pinkie when Lyon decided to challenge the third umpires ability to see a clear hotspot and a cherry on the bat. (He showed the cherry off in newspapers after the game).

But I rate Lyon. He was huuuuge that year. Really stuffed NZ in NZ despite the umpires (see the Bracewell no ball that wasn't vs Voges iirc). Really became a global star with the ball in my eyes.

Last edited:

Burgey

Getting back to the upcoming series, I’m hoping to see Pujara succeed, but am doubtful he will. Would like to see Dhawan fail as he’s a ****, likewise Kohli so any pretensions he has to being considered the best batsman in the world can be put to bed once and for all.

Hoping Root makes a lot of 50s but no tons to keep the meme going, and would like to see Cook do well as I have a thing for boring as bat**** left handed openers, having been one myself.

I hope Broad takes lots of wickets, ambivalent about Anderson because he’s a **** too, though it’d be good for a giggle if he owns Kohli again. I hope all the Indian quicks fail miserably, because the wheel is forever.

Expect England to be too strong at home but can see it being a reasonably close set of matches, even if the series score doesn’t reflect it.

TheJediBrah

The positive about this series: someone will lose.

The negative: someone will win.

(Barring a draw obv. which would be a win for India imo)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm interested to see how the Indian bowlers go in this Test series.... if they show anything like what they did in SA and starting moving the ball, then I'm not sure how well the England batting will handle it. Of course the same can be said of the Indian batting, but that is expected.

.....Can't wait until this plethora of LO overs crap goes away.