• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can go back all the way to the Atherton dirt in my pocket incident to see players being caught and watched on camera. It is spurious to claim only one broadcaster does it, or does it worse than others. While players are on the field there is a chance a camera will catch you when doing something nefarious.
Fair to say that sandpaper gate is the only one we know of where the broadcaster premeditated it though right?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You control the controllables. India didn't and lost for it. The rest is smoke and mirrors detracting from a tremendous SA performance. Not unlike Ind upsetting Aus in '01, obvious differences in the quality of sides notwithstanding.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Why are people annoyed supersport caught Smith and Co rubbing the ball with sandpaper?
If they hadn't they would still be doing it now and probably back at no 1 in the rankings

Bahseph

State Captain
I will never act like the SA team of the 2010s weren't actively trying sneaky ways to alter the state of the ball. Faf got got twice didn't he? So did Vernon. But they deserved to be caught. So did the Aussies with the sandpaper. The media circus and terrible behaviour on the SA side of things doesn't excuse it.

Test Master

Cricket Spectator
Kyle v averages over 50 at fc level out of his depth you mad. He needs time
It is still the weakest SA team since readmission...on paper. I fully expected India to win with the experience and talent they have. I'm glad SA proved me wrong. Loved the way they scrapped and didn't just fold. That should be the foundation of any SA team. Scrap till the last. Don't give it away. As these blokes play more games together and we get a set squad, we will see some big batting partnerships and greater bowling displays. I've been hearing about a kid by the name of DeWalt, heard he's a top talent, would like to see these top talents being given a chance in the test arena as well. Would be nice to see 2 or 3 young batsmen performing.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I will never act like the SA team of the 2010s weren't actively trying sneaky ways to alter the state of the ball. Faf got got twice didn't he? So did Vernon. But they deserved to be caught. So did the Aussies with the sandpaper. The media circus and terrible behaviour on the SA side of things doesn't excuse it.
Most of the SA supporters here on CW where pretty appalled by the behaviour of the crowds and some of the players, during that Aus series. My general issue here is not that supersport is innocent or the SA crowds are innocent, it is the high handed behaviour of some comments that is effectively 'our **** is sweeter than your ****' attitude. Most of the broadcasters have done some dodgy things, every team has it players that you think are egotistical pricks and everybody at times has crowd behaviours that are terrible.

To treat it as some conspiracy is just stupid.

PakhuisTillite

Cricket Spectator
Yeah that's not the same thing at all. Smith "brainfade" was at the centre of play in front of everyone right after a wicket, just happenstance. The SA camera sniping is protracted, targeted and tactical.
There are no restrictions to crowd photography in pro cricket. People can and do take incredibly sophisticated cameras to modern sports nowadays. I have now doubt that home team broadcasters are continually on the lookout for extra spice, colour and controversy. But to say that the Saffer ones are doing this tactically is paranoia imo. What they are good at and I have mixed feelings about it is finding scantily clad spectators in the crowd.

kiranbahra

Cricket Spectator
low scoring matches are always more exciting than a high scoring match that is dominated by one team (see first 3 ashes tests) but a low scoring match takes out the option for one result (draw) which naturally makes it less exciting than a proper 5-day battle which is close throughout - such a match will have periods where batters dominate, periods where bowlers dominate, and hopefully a thrilling conclusion even if that's a team hanging on for a draw

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Heard Polly mention maybe they should ease back on the pitches a bit to give batters more of a chance
One of the reason we struggle to find batsmen that can build big innings is that the pitches in SA are generally pretty tough and the batsmen don't get enough opportunity to do this. It is nice to see that we have had a string of big scores coming out of the FC system, even if some of it may be a drop in quality due to the new structure. The quality batsmen are still mostly scoring the runs.

PakhuisTillite

Cricket Spectator
as someone who would very much like to bring a 150-600mm lens to the cricket if i could, this is very much news to me
What I meant was I see people using cell phone cameras all the time in the crowds. With the newest phones having up to 10 times optical zoom capabilities surely this is going to cover a great area of the field. I'll admit I'm a complete ignoramus about these things but if I consider what I can see with my 10x42 binoculars which I take to games it seems to me that I could easily pick up potential shenanigans.

Kirkut

International Regular
Fair to say that sandpaper gate is the only one we know of where the broadcaster premeditated it though right?
Interesting. Talking about premeditation, what should we make of Amir's no balls in UK? I'm assuming many fast bowlers have bowled big no balls before but how did Amir's no balls create suspicions?

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting. Talking about premeditation, what should we make of Amir's no balls in UK? I'm assuming many fast bowlers have bowled big no balls before but how did Amir's no balls create suspicions?
they didn't. it was only when news of the world broke its huge story overnight that anyone realised that the enormous no balls amir bowled the previous day were more than just no balls.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Always cameras on the crease for run out decisions?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Getting back to the series, I don't think the South African ODI squad was ever posted here.

Temba Bavuma (capt), Quinton de Kock (wk), Zubayr Hamza, Janneman Malan, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Marco Jansen, Wayne Parnell, Sisanda Magala, Keshav Maharaj (vice-capt), Tabraiz Shamsi