• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in all likelihood, the players won't be 'ready' whenever they play their first match, but you can at least give them a few days off before/after the funeral

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The Cricinfo report on the state of players playing the New Zealand Pakistan game makes for intriguing reading: Pakistan v New Zealand, 3rd Test, Sharjah, 2nd day : Domination but no elation for New Zealand | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo.
This comes nothing close to conveying how surreal it was watching it. No appeals. No clapping. No celebration. No encouraging the bowler.

There was a review for an edge that wasn't given because the players didn't even appeal. Watling went for a review straight away (it wasn't overturned because of lack of hotspot, but I do think that a spontaneous appeal would have been convincing).

It's extremely fortunate there were no LBWs. Would have been so weird.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This comes nothing close to conveying how surreal it was watching it. No appeals. No clapping. No celebration. No encouraging the bowler.

There was a review for an edge that wasn't given because the players didn't even appeal. Watling went for a review straight away (it wasn't overturned because of lack of hotspot, but I do think that a spontaneous appeal would have been convincing).

It's extremely fortunate there were no LBWs. Would have been so weird.
Towards the close of play, the 2 commentators (possibly Morrison and Ramiz) summed things up by saying words to the effect of "great day for NZ but they probably shouldn't be playing so it doesn't really matter"

Not passing judgement on their sentiments but must be some of the most bizarre commentary I've ever heard

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Towards the close of play, the 2 commentators (possibly Morrison and Ramiz) summed things up by saying words to the effect of "great day for NZ but they probably shouldn't be playing so it doesn't really matter"

Not passing judgement on their sentiments but must be some of the most bizarre commentary I've ever heard
Mike Hesson seems to have said exactly the same thing.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just reading about the Indian training session and something struck me - even if they say they're ready and willing, will they actually be ready? Like, from a cricketing point of view.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I've thought about it too. The actual cricket preparation will obviously have taken a huge hit, regardless of whether the game is played.

Spark

Global Moderator
The only option is to do some ****ery with the January ODIs and squeeze it there, otherwise it's cancelled IMO.

howardj

International Coach
Doubt you'd be saying the same thing if it was your hometown Test

There's plenty of room to squeeze it in

Spark

Global Moderator
There is absolutely no way they're playing four Tests with two or three days between each Test. It's basically at the limit of compression as it is.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

I think most are looking at the bigger picture mate and not just their own opportunity to go to the cricket.

I doubt whether there is any room at at all to reschedule it. In a normal year sure you could can some ODI's so the test gets played........but this is a WC year, it's not in either sides interest to play this test at the expense of one day games.

Edit:

Apologies, I see you are advocating that it be squeezed in during the existing test series...........still not possible though.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I would be. it'd be absolute insanity to play 4 back to back tests in the current circumstances.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Doherty ‏@ShaneDoherty9 14m14 minutes ago Brisbane, Queensland

#PhillipHughes funeral expected 2pm Wednesday. Gabba test postponed. CA announcement expected soon #9News

anil1405

International Captain
In a situation like this it doesn't really matter if they play one test less. Would make sense if they decide to cancel this test and make it a 3 test series. Am sure Australia wouldn't mind this at all. Its down to the BCCI I suppose and hope they show some maturity here.