• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

howardj

International Coach
Just thinking about this further, losing a whole test match would have left a massive financial hole right? I'm not saying that is necessarily what made them change the schedule instead of just cancelling Brisbane, but surely the difference in TV revenue from 4 tests against India instead of 3 is significant. Far bigger than a loss of gate receipts because of shifts to SCG and other tests.
$20 million CA says it would have cost them

howardj

International Coach
The lack of regard shown for the Brisbane cricket public on this forum is disappointing; disturbing

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The lack of regard shown for the Brisbane cricket public on this forum is disappointing; disturbing
You (We) have got your test, so what's the problem?

What's more, if it wasn't a test match, it would have been a money spinning T20/ODI memorial match or 2 involving players from all over

IMO, Brisbane was never going to miss out altogether

Valer

First Class Debutant
Same things would have been said if it was Adelaide being canned imo.
Adelaide gets a better schedule (read a WC quarter)

T20 vs SA
1st

ODI vs SA

None

Test vs India

2nd

ODI Tri- series

None

WC

India v Pakistan

England v Bangladesh

Ireland v Pakistan

3rd Quarter-Final - TBC v TBC (A3 v B2) (!)

uvelocity

International Coach
Barring issues with stakeholders forcing it to be played I'd cancel it over moving all the other tests.

However the nature and amount of cricket being played at the Gabba probably doesn't help.

(For reference)

T20i v SA
-
ODIs vs SA
-
Tests vs IND
1st test (Proposed removal)

Tri-series
Eng vs India

World Cup

Aus vs Bang

Ireland vs UAE.

Pak vs Zimb

I guess Ireland vs the UAE might be close...
although it bothers me, its more than the gabba deserves

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't the crowds been pretty bad at the Gabba in recent years? Mind you, I suppose it isn't holidays when the test is on.

Spark

Global Moderator
The crowds last year were good but for the SA test the year before they were pretty shabby after Day 1 IIRC

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Haven't the crowds been pretty bad at the Gabba in recent years? Mind you, I suppose it isn't holidays when the test is on.
Usually the weaker of the touring sides as well. Though that kind of makes the poor crowd v SA more inexcusable.

Riggins

International Captain
ive had to change flights and whatnot to get to the adelaide test, so its been a bit of a **** around but given whats happened it's a much bigger effort for the australian boys to even put their hands up to play

if i can make it riggins has no excuse
some of us have jobs dermos (lol)

BeeGee

International Captain
So, with the schedule change, is Clarke available for selection now, or does he still need to prove his fitness (somehow)?

Is there a deadline for players to decide whether they're available for selection?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I think Clarke's going to play the opening Test regardless of his fitness. Wouldn't feel right if he wasn't on the field leading the side after all this.

howardj

International Coach
So, with the schedule change, is Clarke available for selection now, or does he still need to prove his fitness (somehow)?

Is there a deadline for players to decide whether they're available for selection?
There's no way Clarke won't play in Adelaide, even if he tears the hammy again in the warmup

Justo

U19 Debutant
Heard from the radio that Clarke basically gets to choose whether he's fit or not for Adelaide and that they'll name an extended squad for the first Test.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Looks like a 2 day game has been setup for the Indians at Glenelg. Ashton Turner to captain. Turner, Carters, Doran, Gotch, Gulbis, Lalor, Keath, Moody, Jonte Pattison, Rainbird, Short and Silk.