• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** ICC Women's Cricket World Cup 2017

Shri

Mr. Glass
Incredible game. Well played England. This would have been harder to take if it had gone down to the last ball.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This was an epic choke tbh. This is the kind of stuff SA is known for in Men's World Cups. They needed 91 runs in 106 balls with 8 wickets in hand. That's an easy situation in Women's cricket. Pressure got to them.

England team deserve all the credit though, especially their bowlers for executing plans under pressure

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
What a game!! Congratulations England!

So many Indian youngsters playing in a WC final at an early age. Can only be good for their nerves when they turn up for a WC event next time round.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Wowzers. Turned it off when India needed 51 from 54 balls and had SEVEN wickets in hand. Sorry to say but this is a choke of epic proportions. It's no surprise though because the fact is it's very, very difficult to take the trophies away from the two old guards that are England and Australia. Them two have been sharing the trophies for years and only New Zealand and West Indies have managed to stop them. No-one else has done it. And it all comes down to the fact that both of those women's sides have a long history. They were playing way before West Indies, India, South Africa etc came onto the scene. And secondly the money, facilities and structures they have behind them are way ahead of the other sides at this juncture. Although with this run I'm sure If the BCCI want to they could take their women's cricket to another level. The likes of the West Indies, South Africa, Sri-lanka and Pakistan have to scrap for everything they can though when it pertains to women's cricket.

Nine times out of ten you're gonna have to beat both England and Australia along the way to winning the trophy. The WI ladies lost one match on the way to winning the T20 title last year...and guess who did it? Yep, England. And it was just as big a choke as India did today!! (England had one wicket left and needed seven off the final over and we threw it away). I have no doubt India can improve and come back stronger but the reality is whilst most of the sides big stars are of a decent age, India will be missing Raj and Goswami for the next odi world cup most likely, which is gonna be a massive blow.

All in all it was a great game and a good competition. But the sad truth is one of the two giants has once again triumphed. For the sake of the women's game someone else will have to take a title away from them. WI showed it can be done, the others need to follow now. The next two world cups are in the Caribbean (T20 2018) and New Zealand (ODI 2021). It's gonna be very interesting to see what transpires in the next four years and whether someone can stop either England or Australia from winning them. I believe the t20 world cup will be the best chance for someone else to win tbh. NZ conditions will suit both Aus and England down to the ground most likely, which spells trouble for the others.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just checked the stats. Since 2009 there has been five t20 world cups and three ODI world cups. England and Australia have won seven of those trophies between them and the Windies one. And the last time a team other than West Indies won a women's trophy was way back in the year 2000 when NZ won their one and only ODI world cup on home soil. The dominance of Australia and England is akin to Celtic and Rangers in Scottish football tbh.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I loved watching that game. Throughly enjoyable and a full house at Lord's added to the event.

I am 41 and growing up I never gave women's cricket a second thought - primarily because it wasn't very good. That has all changed and women's cricket is now in fantastic shape. Less than 20 years ago international teams were still playing in skirts. But since then we have moved to full ODI kits, 3 years ago the England team went professional and we now have the Women's Big Bash League in Australia. All the while with these developments the standard of play has continued to improve. There is now a clear pathway for young female cricketers to follow.

I was recently invited to meet and practice with a national side and I was very impressed. Perhaps I had low expectations but the women were light years ahead in technique (especially fielding and batting) than what I expected and had a truly professional mindset. Regardless of gender, they were decent cricketers and that will only further improve as the profile of the game grows and talent pool deepens. No one should compare men and women's cricket as the gap will always remain ridiculously wide but as long as the women play good cricket and continue to entertain then we should all celebrate this continued expansion of the sport.

I dont think the Women's WC final today should be narrowly defined as a great day for women's cricket. I genuinely believe it was a great day for all of cricket.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
This was an epic choke tbh. This is the kind of stuff SA is known for in Men's World Cups. They needed 91 runs in 106 balls with 8 wickets in hand. That's an easy situation in Women's cricket. Pressure got to them.

England team deserve all the credit though, especially their bowlers for executing plans under pressure
Even on the last wicket they needed 11 from 10 or something or other!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Even on the last wicket they needed 11 from 10 or something or other!
That was difficult, because both were absolute tail-enders...but before that, India had over 80% chance of winning on multiple ocassions imo...They were cruising even when Shikha Sharma got runout absolutely unnecessarily

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I think there will be loads of girls wanting to play cricket in England now. Well that is what they said when Britain won the hockey in the Olympics (I do not know if that came about?). But I think those Twenty20 domestics will increase their crowds, and you may even see the England side playing the larger venues, your Trent Bridges and Headingleys etc.

Who knows? With the unpopularity of the men's game right now, paywalled and unloved, cricket in England might become solely a ''girl's sport'' haha.