• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group D Discussion - Pakistan, New Zealand, Bangladesh

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
^^ Don't see that we need 6 bowlers (plus Franklin and Williamson). Would leave one of Southee, Mills or Milne out for Watling or Nicol. Probably Southee as he's still recovering from illness. Don't mind which of Nicol or Watling - Nicol just finds ways to score runs and, if nothing else, I find it amusing to watch. Sometimes the other team must just want to give up out of shear embarrassment :happy:.
Hahaha I'm glad we're selected our side based on straw man's humour. I'm okay with that. Play on Rob!

Watling isn't even a first choice in ND's side, and he's actually bemused himself that he continues to get picked in T20 sides internationally.

I dunno, I don't feel Nicol or Watling offer anything that Vettori, McCullum etc can't do themselves at 6 or 7. If one bowler doesn't come off, we have back-ups. If the order I posted doesn't do the job, no one will.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Despite bowling well in the warm-ups, I'd leave Milne out of this one (provided Mills and Southee are both fit). Too much of a risk that he'll serve up a load of tripe for Tamim to gobble down.

Franklin, Guptill, McCullum, Taylor, Williamson, Nicol (ugh), Oram, NcCullum, Vettori, Mills, Southee

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hahaha I'm glad we're selected our side based on straw man's humour. I'm okay with that. Play on Rob!

Watling isn't even a first choice in ND's side, and he's actually bemused himself that he continues to get picked in T20 sides internationally.

I dunno, I don't feel Nicol or Watling offer anything that Vettori, McCullum etc can't do themselves at 6 or 7. If one bowler doesn't come off, we have back-ups. If the order I posted doesn't do the job, no one will.
What happened to all our middle order players who could give it a bash? We used to have them in abundance. I have said this elsewhere, but Styris would still fit right into this side:

Guptill
Franklin
McCullum
Taylor
Williamson
Styris
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Southee
Mills

However, it looks like we are a batsman short if they insist on playing Jimmeh at the top, so we might have to suffer through Nicol coming in and spending his first five balls playing ugly hoicks whilst frustrating McCullum or Taylor into playing a dumb shot.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
BD probable XI

Tamim
Ashraful
Shakib
Mushfiq
Mahmudullah
Nasir
Zia
Mashrafe
Sunny
Razzak
Shafiul

News is that Abul might play instead of Sunny if the pitch is grass covered, but Abul leaks runs everywhere. Not banking too much hope on bowling.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The tournament needs a minnow to stand up.

Anyone reckon NZ have it in them? :cool:

Team needs more Scotty Styris, IMHO. Dominated our T20 up here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mortaza has found the keys to the larder, eh?

Hasn't had any injuries recently, has he? What's his excuse this time?

Oh, shot from Guppy. Magic pick up. His leg side play as attractive as anyone's, IMHO.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
All the talk about Sri Lanka pitches offering a little more pace, in Australia vs Ireland that was somewhat apparent and in Pallekele it's supposed to be true. Yet predictably and despite no apparent assistance for the bowlers, as soon as the slow bowlers come on NZ batsmen look completely incompetent.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All the talk about Sri Lanka pitches offering a little more pace, in Australia vs Ireland that was somewhat apparent and in Pallekele it's supposed to be true. Yet predictably and despite no apparent assistance for the bowlers, as soon as the slow bowlers come on NZ batsmen look completely incompetent.
Playing Razzak like he's Bishin Bedi doesn't help the NZ cause either.

Don't think he moved one off the straight and not a lot in the way of overspin either. Looks ripe for positive intent from the batsmen.

Nice little shot off the back foot from McCullum, there.