• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B General Discussion

gvenkat

State Captain
In sub-continent conditions, Traditionally WI have done well, SA and Eng have struggled. I see Bangladesh putting one across either Eng,WI or SA.

Eng would be dead tired when they come for the WC after the ashes and the meaningless 5 match or 7 match ODI series in OZ. I see them pulling it hard to qualify for the QF.

SA, Ind, WI and Eng in that order. England will probably scrape through.

Blaze 18

Banned
In sub-continent conditions, Traditionally WI have done well, SA and Eng have struggled. I see Bangladesh putting one across either Eng,WI or SA.

Eng would be dead tired when they come for the WC after the ashes and the meaningless 5 match or 7 match ODI series in OZ. I see them pulling it hard to qualify for the QF.

SA, Ind, WI and Eng in that order. England will probably scrape through.

I see England resting a number of players for the ODI series against Australia.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Teams

• Bangladesh.......000002=2........VII
  • England............202020=6.........IV
  • India.................222022=10.......I
  • South Africa......220222=10.......II
  • West Indies......222002=8.........III
  • Ireland..............200022=6.........V
  • Netherlands......020000=2.........VI

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Rather think we might be slightly dissapointing here. Expectations will probably be higher than they have been in a long time.

India to top the group, Bangladesh 2, SA 3rd, between England and WI for 4th
This for me. The 'resurgance' of the past year or so will be a false dawn as far as the world cup is concerned. Although i will still maintain my false confidence and say we'll get to the final :D

chalky

International Debutant
This opener against Bangladesh can be really tricky. In slow low condition resembling the ones in the WI there is a high chance of an upset. England will be interesting to see. There bowlers were cannon fodder the last time they played ODIs here. Would be interesting to see how much they have improved.
Reckon the bowlers will go OK to be honest Swann & Yardy will be very difficult to get away and our pace bowlers are much cleverer on flat wickets than they used to be. It's the batting that worries me think we need another power hitter in the side only really have KP at the moment.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Reckon the bowlers will go OK to be honest Swann & Yardy will be very difficult to get away and our pace bowlers are much cleverer on flat wickets than they used to be. It's the batting that worries me think we need another power hitter in the side only really have KP at the moment.
Add Morgan to the list.

biased indian

International Coach
was looking forward to watch a game in bangalore...but of the four matches scheduled there is not a single decent game :( .while ahmedabad,Nagpur all get decent matches...why this happend..????

Now will have to look at chennai

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon Morgan will be quality in the conditions - should suit him perfectly. Great player of spin too... :wub:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd back West Indies to top the group, or go all the way. They're a dangerous side who can turn things around when least expected, and have the X-factor to take them all the way, unlike, say, South Africa. We've seen them pull off virtual upsets, like the one against SA in 2003, or winning the 2005 Champions' Trophy, so they can't be written off totally. A lot will depend on Chris Gayle, who has a massive average here in India.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pollard to do something awesome in the QF and take WI to the SF. Won't make the final though.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
I'd back West Indies to top the group, or go all the way. They're a dangerous side who can turn things around when least expected, and have the X-factor to take them all the way, unlike, say, South Africa. We've seen them pull off virtual upsets, like the one against SA in 2003, or winning the 2005 Champions' Trophy, so they can't be written off totally. A lot will depend on Chris Gayle, who has a massive average here in India.{/B]

Yes, I remember the series he had in 2002, scored 3 100's if I remember.
they could "upset" India or SA, but I doubt they will top the group.
For that to happen Ind and SA will have to bat like they did in SA recently.
Their bowling may set them back.

tooextracool

International Coach
Power hitting is massively over-rated in the short forms of the game.
this is news to me. The best teams of the past few tournaments made it far on the back of some serious power hitters - Greatbatch in 1992, Jayasuriya in 1996, Klusener in 1999, Symonds/Gilchrist in 2003 and Gilchrist in 2007.

Im not saying pack the side with power hitters, but you need a balance. Packing a side with players like Strauss', Bells and Collingwood's is not exactly ideal.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
this is news to me. The best teams of the past few tournaments made it far on the back of some serious power hitters - Greatbatch in 1992, Jayasuriya in 1996, Klusener in 1999, Symonds/Gilchrist in 2003 and Gilchrist in 2007.

Im not saying pack the side with power hitters, but you need a balance. Packing a side with players like Strauss', Bells and Collingwood's is not exactly ideal.
Completely AWTA. And I believe this is exactly the reason why England has done so poorly, over the years, in the shorter format of the game.