• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Formula 1 Discussion Thread***

Stapel

International Regular
It's funny how things change in F1. Factually this post is spot on, particularly about Red Bull, but things have turned out a little bit differently.
Yeah, it's funny indeed. I've been really into F1 from about 1985 until 2000 or so. Though I've followed things from the sidelines, this year is my comeback year. All due to Max Verstappen of course. Not simply for being Dutch, but mostly for being exceptionally talented.

But both McLarens starting on the last line and a 17-year old kid in a RedBull reserve team car overtaking a Williams and a Ferrari in the last couple of rounds at Francorchamps? Unreal!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He races under the Dutch flag because his dad and all his dad's racing people are Dutch. His mum is Belgian, he's lived in Belgium all his life and has a Belgian passport.

Stapel

International Regular
Hmmm, Justin Wilson has died. The former F1 driver crashed this weekend during Indy Car racing. And yesterday, Guy Ligier, the former French F1 racing team owner passed away at 85.

He races under the Dutch flag because his dad and all his dad's racing people are Dutch. His mum is Belgian, he's lived in Belgium all his life and has a Belgian passport.
I think he has two passports. Anyway, nobody really cares too much. Dutch media has him as Dutch (hey....), Flemmish media as Dutch/Belgian.

In case anyone is interested. Max and both his parents are from Limburg. In 1839, upon the formal independence of Belgium (de facto independence was in 1830), the province of Limburg was split in two, one becoming Dutch, the other Belgian. Both regions are typically known for bearing relatively more regional pride than national pride. Both are considered backward by the rest of the Flemmish or Dutch. People make stupid jokes about them as well.

Stapel

International Regular
This thread really deserves a kick up, not?

I've been watching F1 for 30 years, never ever having the real opportunity to root for a Dutchman, nor feeling the need to. But now there is Max Verstappen. It was crystal clear, halfway last season, that he is a that rare talent from the Schumacher-Senna category. Living up to that is something different though. But he has started to do so yesterday!

Very good race anyway!

Stapel

International Regular
I couldn't help watching some re-runs. Howmany times do you see marshals cheering around the track during the victory lap?

Stapel

International Regular
Great performance from Max but Red Bull absolutely shafted Ricciardo
It must be said that with 30 laps to go, it was not quite so clear which strategy was better. With the benefit of hindsight....., you're right.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah both teams split the strategy for the same reason, and the 3 stop looked the better bet until the final pit when the new tyres just couldn't close the gap on the front two. Didn't help that by battling each other they weren't able to focus purely on driving. Still, even with 10-15 laps to go it was still one of 4 to win.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Vettel was never in with a shout of the win because he pitted 2 laps after Verstappen and made no significant inroads.

Ricciardo got absolutely done in though. Absolute amateurism from Red Bull on that front.

Red Bull's engine upgrade will be interesting, they've quietly put together an excellent package this season and I wouldn't be surprised to see them edge out Ferrari for 2nd.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah what they did with Ricciardo was just strange.

Really what last weekend did was just show what an interesting season we could have if we just got rid of Mercedes.