• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Final - India v Sri Lanka

Who will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

masterblaster

International Captain
World Champions baby! I can't believe India did it! Went to sleep after Sachin got out as it was like 1:30am here but set the Foxtel IQ to record and watched it all unfold this morning!

Unbelievable! So proud of Sachin and the boys! Gambhir played outstandingly well, Dhoni saved his best for last and Yuvraj, as much as I don't like the guy deserved to be man of the tournament.

One of the greatest moments in the history of Indian sport without a doubt. So proud of them all!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
INDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

That's right baby, 2011 World Cup Champs! Bruahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, chak de phattey!

As a multicultural city, I've seen the Greeks light up Toronto in 2004, the Italians do so in 2006, the Spanish in 2010, and us Canadians collectively as a nation do so after our victory against the USA in the 2010 Winter Olympics gold medal Ice Hockey game. But now to see fellow Indians light up this absolutely beautiful city with Indian colours and those of all other nationalities joining us in our celebrations is beyond spectacular. Speechless tbh.

With the large amount of Indians all over the world, an Indian victory does well to spread awareness of the game in different countries. I am witnessing it as I speak.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Indian Team. 28 years is a long time. Missed all of it because of the stupid class. I will be watching the recording today.

First team to win the World Cup @ Home. WoW. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
INDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

That's right baby, 2011 World Cup Champs! Bruahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, chak de phattey!

As a multicultural city, I've seen the Greeks light up Toronto in 2004, the Italians do so in 2006, the Spanish in 2010, and us Canadians collectively as a nation do so after our victory against the USA in the 2010 Winter Olympics gold medal Ice Hockey game. But now to see fellow Indians light up this absolutely beautiful city with Indian colours and those of all other nationalities joining us in our celebrations is beyond spectacular. Speechless tbh.

With the large amount of Indians all over the world, an Indian victory does well to spread awareness of the game in different countries. I am witnessing it as I speak.
I don't know about the other Countries but I can certainly vouch for Toronto. Awesome reactions. The amount of cars with Indian flags attached to them was ridiculous. And it wasn't just today. It was the same a few days back when we beat Pakistan. Gotta love it =D

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know about the other Countries but I can certainly vouch for Toronto. Awesome reactions. The amount of cars with Indian flags attached to them was ridiculous. And it wasn't just today. It was the same a few days back when we beat Pakistan. Gotta love it =D
Spot on :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: at Indian fans calling out other Indian fans for not being true Indian fans. Adopt UDRS now you ****s.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Yes, quite a population with even a mini Indian Town. Though I must say we should not allow our Prime Ministers a photo-shoot swinging a bat, playing a most incongruous shot :-O

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Deserved winners. Been the best ODI side for a while now.

Great innings from Dhoni. Gave him stick early on this tournament but he delivered when it mattered. Sad to see Murali go out like that, looked nowhere near fit. Different game if Gambhir had been caught mind. Kirsten signs off in style. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Come on mate. I think I made less than 10 or so posts in the whole match. Two or three supporting SL and a few hoping India would gas up and celebrating their wickets falling.

It was only at the end I said it was a sad day for cricket. Sorry for thinking that, but IMO it is.
juz as sad as the last 3 WC finals? :p

Or did you mean it for Murali retiring, in which case, fair enough...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Now that it has been 10 hours or more, time to make a sane post :)

India were awesome and sooooo deserved this win. Sachin and Sehwag faltered at the final hurdle but to see Gambhir and Kohli build brick by brick was awesome. Gambhir especially showed the nous of a veteran, getting away a boundary exactly when it mattered... All those zillion ODIs at home against SL with him orchestrating the chase surely helped, hey.. :p Dhoni came out like a man destined to win the world cup. He was there, looked positive from the outset and took the challenge head on and finished the game in style.. Yuvi came in at a time when another wicket could have meant anything but showed a calmness and composure we have not seen from him in other instances... The bowling was good and inspite of losing it at the end, Zak was awesome (guess he is somewhat injured as well during his second spell after a dive in the outfield)... Bhajji is a bit of a baggage for us as a lead spinner as he does not take wickets at all... Munaf did more than I ever expected from him but is still very much unidimensional.. Sreesanth is a ****...

Sri Lanka played excellent cricket but were outclassed a bit. Sanga was being nice saying even 350 wasn't enough but with their attack, even 300 might have been enough. Their inability to stay positive with their best bowlers really bites them in the back side. I can understand saving Malinga and Murali for powerplays when bowling first but honestly, taking Mallinga off after he got Sachin was just terrible terrible captaincy.. A 6 over spell for Malinga there and if he had broken through two more guys in our middle order, it would have been an easy game for SL.. I have said it before, they have champion players but they can't play like champions and it always hurts them.. They have to start thinking more positive and in terms of bowling their best bowlers for longer spells up front. At the moment, their entire tactics in cricket seem to revolve around choking and stangulating the opposition into mistakes but to be champs, you gotta go out there and win matches on your own and cannot always sit and wait opposition to make mistakes or even goad them into making mistakes.. It is high time Sanga or their next captain realizes that. Still a great final and a great tournament. Sri Lanka certainly show they have enough talent to always be around the top 3 in the world.. And a shout out to the nicer SL fans here.. HImannv, JBH and others.. You guys make CW better :)

Borges

International Regular
Congrats to the Indian team and all the Indian fans who rooted for their team on a thoroughly well deserved victory. And well done to Sri Lanka too for playing their part in making it one of the best World Cup finals in history. From an Indian fan who was (and still is) somewhat apprehensive about what a WC win would imply for the future of Indian test cricket, and didn't want India to win the WC.

It was an excellent game of ODI cricket; one that was worthy of a World Cup final. Lit up by the radiance of a sublime, ethereal century - in terms of pure aesthetics, the greatest WC final century by quite some distance. Thank you Mahela, you are always a pleasure to watch but this was something very very special indeed.

And no, it most emphatically was not a sad day for cricket. It was a great day for cricket with a great WC final; it would also have been a great day for cricket if SL had lifted the trophy. I understand that Sri Lankan fans would be despondent after the loss. It may have been a sad day for them, but I'm fairly certain that the overwhelming majority of them wouldn't call it a sad day for cricket. AFAIK, the vast majority of SL fans are above all lovers of cricket, and sporting lovers of cricket at that.

Yup, extremely pleased for Kirsten. And for Tendulkar too - till yesterday, I hadn't realized how much this meant to him.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The emotional celebrations of the team were awesome to watch. Take a bow, team India you are truly deserving champs. Yuvraj throughout the WC has been immense and his fielding has come back to the high standard he showed early in his career.

Also a word for Guru Gary. That guy seems to be genuinely loved by the team. How much difference a coach can make to a team.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Bunch of ****s :ph34r:

No no, seriously, the best team won. Really happy to see Tendulkar finally win something. Well done guys. Let's see how you fair in 2015. :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
LOL @ "sad day for cricket". If this is not trolling, tell me what is?

At least some one like Dhoni_fan had the grace to create a "Congrats Australia" after the quarter final.

Last edited: