• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Final & 3rd Place Play-off Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Third place is definitely a match no one wants. The FA introduced it for the FA Cup in the early 70’s. Played on Friday night before the Final, no TV coverage, no mention of it next day and very sparse crowds. Lasted about five years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Third place is definitely a match no one wants. The FA introduced it for the FA Cup in the early 70’s. Played on Friday night before the Final, no TV coverage, no mention of it next day and very sparse crowds. Lasted about five years.
Huh.

Genuinely didn't know that.

But yeah, 3rd place playoffs are absolute arse.

UEFA did the decent thing for the Euros, but, for some unearthly reason, included them in the Nations League. Masochists may recall we beat Switzerland on penalties in the inaugural tournament.

Admittedly the Nations League also ranks quite high in the "pointless things about football" list itself.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Usually good games despite the pointlessness and this one is on course to keep that up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway cheers for that LT, had no idea.

Neither did I, and these were my first seasons of actually following the game. Perhaps the ultimate trivia piece is the 1972 match being the first FA Cup time to be decided on penalties.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm fussed. I hope the french are humiliated by Messi and Macron is there to see it. There is nothing likeable about those cheating, always holding players and getting away with it, garlic breathed, Kermit lovers

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like it if Argentina won. Not just for Messi... their team is a loveable bunch of scamps. Also a team winning back to back would be kinda lame.

France looks significantly better though, they've not really looked like losing any of their games. Probably a 2-0 or 3-1 for them