• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Equestrian Sports Thread

Flem274*

123/5
I saw that movie with the safe search off...

How did you get interested in equestrian stuff anyway? Are you from a rural background?
Yeah, one of my parents was on the up and up when I was young so I spent half my childhood at events and every kid in the neigbourhood had a paddock basher so I jumped on. Drifted off to cricket and tried to save money for a go kart but it was just too expensive so I came back to it in my teens and decided I liked it more than go karts and school cricket in NZ can be incredibly dire organisation wise sometimes below first eleven level. Bowling with six fielders sucks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ has always been pretty strong in equestrian hasn't it? Iirc your first medal in sydney was in the individual eventing. Todd someone or othe I think.

It's very much an elite sport here, save for rural areas. There's a bit of it in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and the north shore too. I think the costs of agisting the horses is prohibitive for a lot of people. Couple of QCs I know have family right into it. They tell me there's often good sorts at the various competitions.

Makes me want to buy a horse..

Flem274*

123/5
NZ has always been pretty strong in equestrian hasn't it? Iirc your first medal in sydney was in the individual eventing. Todd someone or othe I think.

It's very much an elite sport here, save for rural areas. There's a bit of it in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and the north shore too. I think the costs of agisting the horses is prohibitive for a lot of people. Couple of QCs I know have family right into it. They tell me there's often good sorts at the various competitions.

Makes me want to buy a horse..
We were nothing until we sent a team to the States in the late seventies to see what would happen. Todd was a part of that side, and it just rolled on from there. Todd was a one man army in the 80s Olympics with his double golds and then in the 90s the team as a whole, along with the Australians, started wiping the floor with Europe.

its much the same here. If you live in the city you need a bit of cash to get set up, but if you're rural then you have it considerably easier. Getting out of NZ is the hard part, but now we have some respect on the world stage its getting better. It's all right though because Aucklanders provide us with someone to rip off when we sell.

NZ eventing is struggling though. There's still quality riders coming through but they're not getting the competition the riders of the 90s had. Everyone is switching to showjumping, and its really getting a roll on.

There are good sorts and ****s, same as any other sport really.

Flem274*

123/5
Stream just caught up. Bugger. Michael Jung is all class though. He beat a field including three all time greats. Well done to him.:)

Flem274*

123/5
Showjumping starts tonight. No New Zealanders this time around unfortunately, which is a shame since our jumpers are only getting better and better and we had a team in the last Olympics. I think you can safely put money on us qualifying for Rio though.

We do have one horse over there, Dunstan Delphi, in the Saudi Arabia team. Katie McVean took the money over what was a sure Olympic berth for her. I'd have to go digging to find out why Samantha McIntosh didn't make it exactly, but I think it has something to do with re-qualifying for her native NZ since she used to ride for Bulgaria via the Neil Wagner route. It's good to have our most successful showjumper back in the NZ fold though.

Medal wise the teams event is hard to pick, but in the individuals Kevin Staut/Silvana have to be the favourites for sure, but I'll back my personal favourite Eric Lamaze on his new and unexpected ride to get back to back golds. For bronze I'm umming and ahhing between several riders. I'll go Nick Skelton/Big Star to just hold out Beezie Madden/Via Volo