• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Cardiff Leeds quite good fun, and a draw isn't good for either set of scummy fans in the long run, so all good.

Just thankful not to be re-traumatised from the shock upset of 2002. Leeds' defending is just shambolic though

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If its any consolation, my lot have made an even worse return since the break for the WC. Before the break, Palace could barely muster a point away from home but beat the lower placed teams at Selhurst Park. Now, we've been absolutely shocking at home to Fulham (0-3) and Tottenham (0-4) before the weekend loss to what had previously looked a pretty feeble Southampton side. Vieira needs to turn it around and probably make a couple of decent signings this month or we'll find ourselves in the bottom three before long.
You looked decent against Spurs, completely dominated the first half. One of those where you let in a couple of good goals and then open up and get caught.

I reckon there are 7 teams that are comfortably worse than Palace: Southampton, Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth, Leicester, Everton, and West Ham. Leeds could nip ahead of you but I don’t think you’ll fall much lower than 12th.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You looked decent against Spurs, completely dominated the first half. One of those where you let in a couple of good goals and then open up and get caught.

I reckon there are 7 teams that are comfortably worse than Palace: Southampton, Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth, Leicester, Everton, and West Ham. Leeds could nip ahead of you but I don’t think you’ll fall much lower than 12th.
I hope you're right, and I'm aware that my annual prediction of Palace being relegated hasn't happened for a while now. But I do think that people look at our creative trio of Zaha, Eze and Olise and rather overrate us. afaics the guys behind them in midfield aren't great, ditto the blokes who play up front.

Uppercut

I hope you're right, and I'm aware that my annual prediction of Palace being relegated hasn't happened for a while now. But I do think that people look at our creative trio of Zaha, Eze and Olise and rather overrate us. afaics the guys behind them in midfield aren't great, ditto the blokes who play up front.
Yeah I don't have strong opinions on any individual players. The trio are great technically, very tricky, but I'd need to see a lot more of them to get an idea of how effective they are.

Ironically you look a bit like the Arsenal teams from just after Vieira left, where there was a lot of fairly sterile domination and a soft underbelly. But on balance those teams were still pretty good. There'll be games when you get out-battled and it'll feel like the team is missing something crucial. But there'll also be games like the one against Bournemouth where you just have a lot more technical quality, dominate throughout, win 2-0, and the game is so uneventful that everyone forgets it happened 5 minutes after it ends.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If its any consolation, my lot have made an even worse return since the break for the WC. Before the break, Palace could barely muster a point away from home but beat the lower placed teams at Selhurst Park. Now, we've been absolutely shocking at home to Fulham (0-3) and Tottenham (0-4) before the weekend loss to what had previously looked a pretty feeble Southampton side. Vieira needs to turn it around and probably make a couple of decent signings this month or we'll find ourselves in the bottom three before long.
Yeah, I can't complain too much as a Villa fan. Now we have Not Gerrard in charge we're not looking like the relegation candidates we were earlier in the season (*please don't be a jinx*). Just kinda funny that after what's felt like years of us somehow drawing Man Utd in the FA Cup 3rd round every year and losing every time, we finally get a favourable draw on paper and crash out anyway.

My only sightings of Palace this season have been on MotD so I don't have much insight into what's going wrong, but based on how well you did last season despite a hospital pass from Hodgson, I'd back Vieira to sort it out.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We’ve lost 2 of our key players (including our Club captain) of last year to teams a division below us, umm, slightly worrying/

Uppercut

It’s a goal by the rules but only because the rules are stupid.

City weren’t exactly robbed though. They really didn’t look great.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Palace really have a tough run of games coming up I see - in the league

Man Utd (H) Newcastle (H) Man Utd (A) Brighton (H) Brentford (A) Liverpool (H) Aston Villa (A) Man City (H) Arsenal (A)

They should stay up but looked surprisingly flat watching them at Selhurst Park in the Cup v Southampton in the 2nd half and if they struggle in this run whilst they face most of relegation strugglers in April and May those games could end up being relegation 6 pointers.

Talking about struggling its going great for us at Chelsea at the moment....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Palace really have a tough run of games coming up I see - in the league

Man Utd (H) Newcastle (H) Man Utd (A) Brighton (H) Brentford (A) Liverpool (H) Aston Villa (A) Man City (H) Arsenal (A)

They should stay up but looked surprisingly flat watching them at Selhurst Park in the Cup v Southampton in the 2nd half and if they struggle in this run whilst they face most of relegation strugglers in April and May those games could end up being relegation 6 pointers.

Talking about struggling its going great for us at Chelsea at the moment....
Yup, Palace could easily lose all nine of those games, and apparently they were typically supine against your lot today. I do think that Vieira gets a free pass at times. Remember when some folks thought he would be replacing Arteta? That looks very silly now.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Imagine with a straight face saying Rashford was not interfering with play ?️‍♂

First half was cagey , City at times in the second half looked a level above but it did not seem like peak City.

Still think they win the league easily enough though.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Yup, Palace could easily lose all nine of those games, and apparently they were typically supine against your lot today. I do think that Vieira gets a free pass at times. Remember when some folks thought he would be replacing Arteta? That al looks very silly now.
I'd say Palace were competitive without being especially threatening - would be a compliment a few months ago but the way we've been playing of late not ideal for you.

And yeah you'll ideally need to win at least a couple of those games - especially with some of the sides at the bottom playing each other in the next few games so likely to see at least some of them get points. 7 points clear of 18th-20th.

Next 5 games for some of the bottom sides including some real crunch games

Leeds away at Forest, Everton and host Southampton
Wolves away at Southampton, host Bournemouth
Bournemouth host Forest
West Ham host Everton and Forest

Leicester with a tough run but looking at Wolves expect they'll pick up - Leeds look better than their position and I guess Palace almost cheering for them - if they beat Everton and Southampton - could see Everton and Southampton maybe getting a bit detached at the bottom whereas still feel like Leeds are a danger even if they were to lose those 2 games

Niall

International Coach
Palace turn into Brazil 1970 v Man U so they will be fine :ph34r:

Tottenham aren't poor and have spent plenty of money over the years, why is Lloris still their 1st choice keeper? He is rubbish.