• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Well this'll be interesting.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another player arrested on a rape charge. 29 year old from North London.

Not going to predict who it might be as so many were wrong when the Everton player was arrested last summer.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rumoured to be a 29 year old International player and one of those in particular seems to have the spotlight on them online right now.

grecian

Still haven't signed anyone, still not like the season starts this month, oh wait a minute....

flibbertyjibber

Signed 6 players and all look good signings. Quite ridiculous.

Wouldn't get too worried Grecian, hardly anyone bar us and Wednesday have done much business yet.

grecian

Signed 6 players and all look good signings. Quite ridiculous.

Wouldn't get too worried Grecian, hardly anyone bar us and Wednesday have done much business yet.
I am not really, I think we have a decent squad, and we are probably looking at some high quality loan signings, which tend to happen later, but yeah we rally need a keeper, at least one striker and possibly a left-side defender.

Yet our model is clearly based on youngsters coming through, so we won't sign someone who creates an obstacle for whomever they rate highly this year, Cox and Pond the two that everyone rates, but it's often someone under the radar. Can be slightly frustrating though, particularly if one of those players like Seymour is a bust.

Uppercut

Westminster should probably do something about the law that says all rape arrests must be announced via the medium of MMO Guess Who.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I realise it's highly impractical but I don't think it's appropriate for the public to know about any arrest that doesn't lead to a charge (or prior to a charge)

Uppercut

I think there’s a case for anonymity and a case for transparency. The current system seems almost deliberately designed to label random people that the case has nothing to do with as possible rapists.

Or maybe blue ticks need to tell everyone to behave a few more times and that’ll be it fixed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why do they need to announce a footballer specifically has been arrested though?

Obviously whoever he is, could well be guilty. Aside from him and the (alleged, I guess, without wishing to sound heartless) victim, there's a good chance nobody else knows the actual facts. But once the name is out there for certain, it doesn't matter what actually happened, the public will deem him to be a rapist. Which in turn, probably doesn't actually help the victim as it makes the chance of a mistrial higher, doesn't it?

I don't really know the answer.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't really know the answer.
This tbh, it's a morass. platitudes like ' there’s a case for anonymity and a case for transparency' really doesn't serve things well either :ph34r:

That said I think the anonymity ideals are probably gonna be incredibly hard to get back in the bottle in an environment as, uh, "information rich" as the internet time. If a cartel of media outlets decide "no, we're not gonna publish this, there's too much potential risk", some goon will naturally think there's a story there (and most of the time there is, heck, I even spread one today...)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I hate to be all more liberal than thou, but every study I've seen seems to suggest that several times more rapists go uncharged, never mind convicted, than malicious accusations of rape are made.

That's not to suggest everyone investigated is necessarily a rapist, but protecting the identity of the innocent until proven guilty whilst scattering a tantalising trail of breadcrumbs about it is likely to result in fingers being pointed at blameless chaps who just happen to share age, profession and geographic proximity with him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Doubtful the police would have arrested him if they didn't have something pretty compelling as evidence. Usually they won't even bother investigating in detail at all without something pretty solid, let alone go out and nick someone.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Doubtful the police would have arrested him if they didn't have something pretty compelling as evidence. Usually they won't even bother investigating in detail at all without something pretty solid, let alone go out and nick someone.
They might all be Arsenal fans. *GIANT SARCASM MARKER*