• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I like Klopp. I don't have any particular dislike for Liverpool, other than a section of their fans. I don't really like Liverpool as a whole either though. And it's funny when they lose

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It always seems funny when previously successful entities are crap. It doesn't matter whether they currently have offensive personnel or not. City is becoming funny because of Pep continually saying they haven't failed in Europe. The owners want to turn City into a global brand and expect Pep to win the CL. It's not easy of course, but for the past three years the top sides in Europe haven't been that great and they've still failed.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Tielemens suddenly become crap? We're heavily linked with him and the consensus in the online Arsenal community is that he can feck off.

Like, he was good before from what I remember.

Jarquis

Technically fantastic but a liability in transition defensively and seems to just stop moving after the 60th minute.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always thought he was a bit overrated. He has the quality, he just doesn't really do enough of anything. Reminds me of Jermaine Jenas a bit.

Leicester paid £32m for him, I don't think he's worth that and they're not going to sell for a loss.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So far as passing the ball sideways and making it look great is concerned, he's exceptional. Other than that I think I'd struggle to explain what his main strengths were.

Jarquis

That’s almost entirely inaccurate. He’s up there with the best progressive passers in the league and relative to other midfielders is a fairly clinical finisher. Not a tremendous goal threat but does offer something from range. However, whilst he’s arguably a slight upgrade on Xhaka in those areas hes liable to literally being walked past in midfield.

I understand why we’re looking at upgrading on Xhaka but he’s not the option for me.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
That’s almost entirely inaccurate. He’s up there with the best progressive passers in the league and relative to other midfielders is a fairly clinical finisher. Not a tremendous goal threat but does offer something from range. However, whilst he’s arguably a slight upgrade on Xhaka in those areas hes liable to literally being walked past in midfield.

I understand why we’re looking at upgrading on Xhaka but he’s not the option for me.
I've seen him play games where he passes almost exclusively sideways or backwards across the whole 90 minutes, so I can understand sledger having that view of him. Frustrating because I agree with you that he's very good at progressive passing when he actually tries to do that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah tbf it's not like I've seen that much of him. But Arsenal have had enough players who are good at playing nice little passes but ultimately don't contribute much by way of anything else over the years, so I'm not particularly enthused at the prospect of recruiting another one.

duffer

haha he couldn't even pass the ball backwards, let alone sideways

god he was rubbish, probably in the clichy tier of crapness

easy to forget as well, but he actually played loads for Arsenal
Thinking of some of the crap we had in our squad back then has me reaching for the PTSD meds.

Replacing Almunia with a competent keeper and finding a good partner in midfield for Cesc would've put us over the top.

duffer

Yeah tbf it's not like I've seen that much of him. But Arsenal have had enough players who are good at playing nice little passes but ultimately don't contribute much by way of anything else over the years, so I'm not particularly enthused at the prospect of recruiting another one.
We just extended Elneny so we're sorted re: that type of midfielder

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thinking of some of the crap we had in our squad back then has me reaching for the PTSD meds.

Replacing Almunia with a competent keeper and finding a good partner in midfield for Cesc would've put us over the top.
Should have actually just played Lassana Diarra rather than freezing him out imo

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So far as passing the ball sideways and making it look great is concerned, he's exceptional. Other than that I think I'd struggle to explain what his main strengths were.
I suppose he did do this.

And the accompanying soundtrack isn't really his fault.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the not too distant old days you could scrape the ball with a shoe lace and get away with dangerous tackles. What makes it funnier is that managers and players still scream about "getting the ball first" even though it's no longer relevant.