• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
We gave a lot of obviously past-it players new contracts because Woodward "didn't have time" to find replacements, and thought he might get the death penalty if he let too many crap players leave.

Haha oh man... I hadn't seen this, but it is genuinely bizarre.

I mean he is literally saying "I know the players are crap, but in an attempt to stop me from looking bad, I decided the best course of action would be to make significant long-term financial commitments to them."

It's difficult to get your head around.

Imagine if you were one of these players in question. Here's your boss publicly saying he thinks you're the liquid ****s and sees no future for you at the club, but is happy to commit to paying you ****loads of money (guaranteed for 4-5 years) whilst having no serious expectations of you. Bet that's great for motivation, to say nothing of how this would effect the morale of the players who are actually good.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha oh man... I hadn't seen this, but it is genuinely bizarre.

I mean he is literally saying "I know the players are crap, but in an attempt to stop me from looking bad, I decided the best course of action would be to make significant long-term financial commitments to them."

It's difficult to get your head around.

Imagine if you were one of these players in question. Here's your boss publicly saying he thinks you're the liquid ****s and sees no future for you at the club, but is happy to commit to paying you ****loads of money (guaranteed for 4-5 years) whilst having no serious expectations of you. Bet that's great for motivation, to say nothing of how this would effect the morale of the players who are actually good.
Yeah it didn't get too much coverage. If an American GM said something like that it would go viral and their days would be numbered. It's basically saying "I can't do my job".

A lot of United fans think of the Glazers as too American to understand the specifics of football. But the area where we're least competent is roster management, and that's something that Americans understand much better than European football fans.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can you call it squad management please.

Speaking of which, took me a while to work out the number 4 was Phil Jones, my next thought was wondering what the **** he was still doing playing for Man Utd.

Uppercut

I know the word roster is out of place, but "squad management" usually refers to things like Pep rotating his players to keep them fresh.

We're stuck with Jones and Matic for another year, and I'm pretty sure Matic is one of our highest paid players. We gave Eric Bailly a new contract this time last year, he's here until 2024. Maguire inexplicably got an 8-year deal when he signed, I doubt he's a Ten Hag player but he'll be difficult to shift. Mata we should finally get rid of this summer, but he's got a few minutes lately so I can see us deciding to renew him again.

Lingard and Pogba are leaving for free, we could probably have gotten something close to £80m in transfer fees there. We turned down offers for Dalot and he's out of contract next summer. There's talk of us renewing him, but it's clear that he's not really good enough. Rashford is out of contract next summer too, for his sake I kind of hope he gets out because being at United has destroyed him as a player.

Dean Henderson being at the club is absolutely bizarre. Our squad has massive holes elsewhere and we insist on holding on to two PL-starter calibre keepers because we couldn't be arsed selling one.

Then there's the rapist elephant in the room. I thought we had a pretty good squad six months ago but it suddenly looks like it needs a total clearout.

Niall

International Coach
I know the word roster is out of place, but "squad management" usually refers to things like Pep rotating his players to keep them fresh.

We're stuck with Jones and Matic for another year, and I'm pretty sure Matic is one of our highest paid players. We gave Eric Bailly a new contract this time last year, he's here until 2024. Maguire inexplicably got an 8-year deal when he signed, I doubt he's a Ten Hag player but he'll be difficult to shift. Mata we should finally get rid of this summer, but he's got a few minutes lately so I can see us deciding to renew him again.

Lingard and Pogba are leaving for free, we could probably have gotten something close to £80m in transfer fees there. We turned down offers for Dalot and he's out of contract next summer. There's talk of us renewing him, but it's clear that he's not really good enough. Rashford is out of contract next summer too, for his sake I kind of hope he gets out because being at United has destroyed him as a player.

Dean Henderson being at the club is absolutely bizarre. Our squad has massive holes elsewhere and we insist on holding on to two PL-starter calibre keepers because we couldn't be arsed selling one.

Then there's the rapist elephant in the room. I thought we had a pretty good squad six months ago but it suddenly looks like it needs a total clearout.

The awarding of squad players lengthy and expensive contracts has always been absurd,,,Mata the recent one a good lad but utterly shot but was justified as "good to have experience about" eh he played about 3 games a year.

Rashford has had to play under numerous different managers which has not helped and Ole ran him into the ground.

Maybe a new manager would help, but he could not be blamed for wanting to go elsewhere.

Its unlikely but would not be shocked to see at least one of Pogba/Rashford be in the team next year,,Glazers are stupid enough to sanction massive contract extensions.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
We gave a lot of obviously past-it players new contracts because Woodward "didn't have time" to find replacements, and thought he might get the death penalty if he let too many crap players leave.

He should be executed for being a wan... Banker

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Yeah it didn't get too much coverage. If an American GM said something like that it would go viral and their days would be numbered. It's basically saying "I can't do my job".

A lot of United fans think of the Glazers as too American to understand the specifics of football. But the area where we're least competent is roster management, and that's something that Americans understand much better than European football fans.
It’s roster management and roster balance. United get both wrong with too many players at the same position and not moving on players.

Americans also get that some clubs get run to not win but to make money off the fans. It’s the Cubs model where you make money by not winning due to the other revenue. At United they at least have to try to get 4 th and not get relegated.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I only followed the Puddle/Manure game on the radio. I see Gary Neville has apologised for the “unprofessional commentary” on TV. What’s that all about?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He was pretty scathing. Called the Man United team a waste of space. Pretty damning on the players. Didn't think it was too bad though, I mean what is the point of a commentator if they aren't honest?

flibbertyjibber

The United job is probably the toughest one in football. Need a massive clearout and about 10 new players. Can't see why anyone would want it though because they might only be in the Conference League next season for Europe.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah it's a fantastic opportunity for any aspiring manager really haha. The dire ownership situation aside.