• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see why Leicester would vote for it, they'd be voting to make their current vote weaker.

Any other club would be taking an extremely short-termist view, given fewer places makes future relegation more likely.

No doubt after this they'll bring up B teams again, bunch of ****s
The liberalisation of the loan system is a means of turning lower league clubs into de facto B teams.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can obviously see why the EFL will support it. It is the bottom half Premier League teams are so obviously losing out.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah I don't really see the logic either. Seems to primarily be a proposal that would strengthen the already strongest teams, and weaken everyone else. Unless you are amongst the supposed elite already, this seems like a very foolish thing to support.
The proposal is for PL money to be distributed much more evenly through the pyramid. Most EFL teams support it because it’s very financially beneficial for them. It’s the top 9 clubs trying to ally with the bottom 72.

Pothas

I will be interested to see how the top of the Championship respond, fewer places in the Premier League available and no prospect of parachute payments if they do make it up. Finances may be so bad that they have no other option though. Personally all for parachute payments going.

Pothas

Anyway looks like Benrahma is finally off. Just when there was that smallest of hopes that he might stay.

Pothas

Aren't parachute payments discriminatory towards other Championship teams?
Yeah it is a bad system (I would say that obviously) but there is no reason why bottom half Premier League teams would vote to get rid of them. Luckily as it is teams coming down tend to use them absolutely dreadfully anyway.

Uppercut

Aren't parachute payments discriminatory towards other Championship teams?
Not discriminatory, they’re really just delayed PL payments, but it can be tough for clubs that haven’t recently been relegated to compete. Also they encourage gambling for promotion which has left a bunch of Championship clubs on a knife edge.

grecian

Look it's pointless talking about the actual proposals, which are possibly quite reasonable, the one thing this is about is giving the top teams voting largesse. In the end it means when TV deals come up, they can happily vote for individual teams doing their own rights deals, European Super-Leagues, and gawd knows what else. The two American owners here that propsed this don't care about football as we know it, they care about their bank balance, pure and simple.

The other Prem teams would be stupidly short-sighted to vote for this.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Look it's pointless talking about the actual proposals, which are possibly quite reasonable, the one thing this is about is giving the top teams voting largesse. In the end it means when TV deals come up, they can happily vote for individual teams doing their own rights deals, European Super-Leagues, and gawd knows what else. The two American owners here that propsed this don't care about football as we know it, they care about their bank balance, pure and simple.

The other Prem teams would be stupidly short-sighted to vote for this.
This is 100% the right of it. You can argue about the finer details all you like but follow where it's coming from and their motivations and this is the only logical conclusion.

harsh.ag

This is 100% the right of it. You can argue about the finer details all you like but follow where it's coming from and their motivations and this is the only logical conclusion.
Yeah, but they can start at a terrible place as a strategy to have a better chance at ending up at something more reasonable.

Uppercut

Yeah, but they can start at a terrible place as a strategy to have a better chance at ending up at something more reasonable.
It’s true, though it doesn’t seem to be working out this way. They might have set the anchor too high.

The other Prem teams are whipping themselves into a self-righteous rage, I see even the government have already condemned it. But the fact that so many EFL teams are willing to accept such dog**** proposals only highlights how little anyone else is doing about the financial state of the lower leagues. A few weeks ago Dyche was giving it the ‘lol not our problem’, I imagine now he’ll have a lot to say about how terribly unfair it all is.

grecian

It’s true, though it doesn’t seem to be working out this way. They might have set the anchor too high.

The other Prem teams are whipping themselves into a self-righteous rage, I see even the government have already condemned it. But the fact that so many EFL teams are willing to accept such dog**** proposals only highlights how little anyone else is doing about the financial state of the lower leagues. A few weeks ago Dyche was giving it the ‘lol not our problem’, I imagine now he’ll have a lot to say about how terribly unfair it all is.
It's basically accepting it or go out of business for a lot of them, so not surprising, I'd hope we'd be against it, but who knows.

As you say though, the government has taken away the means of funding ourselves, and after furlough are doing **** all to help, in fact by giving false hope, with people trying to work out ways to get fans back in, and the expense that entailed, they are actually hindering. As I say desperation times.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Get rekt efl

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Intrigued how much more money would actually be going to the EFL under this new system bearing in mind its 25% of the total EFL and PL revenues going to the EFL if this ever gets passed. How much of this is new money and how much of this is just basically sharing what would've been parachute payments amongst 24 clubs (in the Championship) without much change to L1 and L2? Just had a quick look and supposedly PL spent £243mil on Parachute Payments in 2017/18 - divide that 243mil by 24 and that is just about 10mil and change for each Championship club on top of existing solidarity payments.

For what its worth I think Parachute Payments should be kept but reduced, I fear if you scrap it completely you'll have more clubs from Championship get promoted and go straight back down as would clubs be willing to so heavily invest in their squad if they know doing so could threaten their long-term future. Could you then have 2/3rds of the PL knowing they'll stay up because the Championship clubs going up largely remain Championship squads because after promotion bonuses and new contracts a decent bit of that PL TV money will already be accounted for..

Also, could you get PL clubs picking off talent from recently relegated clubs far more easily - could you get fire sales not dissimilar to Valencia's this summer where say someone like a Nathan Ake goes for a third of the price he went for this summer just because Bournemouth suddenly see what is probably about a 80-90% drop in revenue or so.