• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I understood the logic in signing Mustafi and paying 30m at the time. However this Willian, Sylvester cast off ****e from our rivals who piss themselves laughing afterwards has no redeeming features.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, on paper his signing had a lot to recommend it: peak years ahead, German international, played in Italy and Spain, but on the pitch he was flattered by being described as "only slightly more than moderately two bob".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mustafi was one of these players who was mysteriously regarded as good by everyone apart from those who had actually seen him play (prior to him joining Arsenal anyway - after that everyone regarded him as crap). There's that story about G Nev trying to get rid of him on a free during his Valencia stint only for Arsenal to later come in and pay £30m for him.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mustafi was one of these players who was mysteriously regarded as good by everyone apart from those who had actually seen him play (prior to him joining Arsenal anyway - after that everyone regarded him as crap). There's that story about G Nev trying to get rid of him on a free during his Valencia stint only for Arsenal to later come in and pay £30m for him.
a real shanker

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I presume Per must've been in a few German squads with him, so wonder if he was pushing his cart at all?

Pure speculation on my part, but if there's a grain of truth in it one does fear slightly for his judgement of the merits of his charges at our academy.

duffer

Yeah, on paper his signing had a lot to recommend it: peak years ahead, German international, played in Italy and Spain, but on the pitch he was flattered by being described as "only slightly more than moderately two bob".
Couldn't cut it at Everton should've been a big red flag though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Torquay through to the Final. Stockport v Hartlepool tomorrow. As the Conference is dragging on until next weekend we have to wait until the 24th for next seasons fixtures, which is traditionally the day the new thread starts.

grecian

@Uppercut, I know you aren't keen on Rice, but you probably need that type of player, would you be hoping United go for Phillips, he would be your ideal signing I'd have thought.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@Uppercut, I know you aren't keen on Rice, but you probably need that type of player, would you be hoping United go for Phillips, he would be your ideal signing I'd have thought.
I do rate Rice as a prospect tbf, being as good as he is at 22 is very impressive. But I think he’d cost far more than he’s worth. Kinda like how I felt about the Partey signing, good player and all but how much does a team really improve by going from an average to a pretty good DM?

I’d take Phillips for sure but today has probably added 20m to his price. There are plenty of DMs that would improve our 11, Bissouma and Ndidi are another 2.

I just don’t know if it’s sustainable for us to keep fixing squad gaps by heavily overpaying for players that are good but not quite world-class. Really we should have been buying these players when Leicester and Brighton did and saving the money for players that are really special.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah this is the thing, if it is the major signing that changes your team, like Liverpool with Van Dijk, surely you just suck it up and pay the exorbitant price.
Van Dijk is better than pretty good though. If it was Frenkie De Jong I’d say yeah just pay anything.