• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Emery’s squad was miles better. The best players from when he was there have either left or aged.

Evaluating a manager purely based on results is just being dense anyway. They were really obviously badly coached under Emery and got worse and worse the longer he was there. I don’t have a strong opinion on Arteta but I’m not having that Emery was anything other than absolutely useless.
Maybe I am missing something but I don't really see much excitement in how Arsenal play now whenever I see them and the only 2 big players I can see that they are missing are Ramsey and Koscielny. Arteta has an exciting talent in Martinelli he seems hesitant to use, young CB Saliba he hasn't given much of a chance, Torreira has been loaned out with Partey coming in, Monreal was a solid left-back but Tierney is definetly an upgrade on him. He froze Ozil out the side, Ramsey certainly is a big miss but I'm not sure it warrants a drop from 5th to firmly midtable now under Arteta.

You say evaluating a manager based just on results is being dense but what is so great about Arteta - I appreciate @sledger would have seen a lot more of Arsenal than me but I don't see the promising signs and process that others see under Arteta since this time last year. Others disagree but I seriously do not think Emery would have had this much sympathy if it was him rather than Arteta at the helm right now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal have been a team in decline for half a decade at least. It's too simplistic to put it down to linear factors. The whole setup had become completely stagnant. It's the kind of situation that will literally take years to reverse, but there are tentative signs things are heading in the right direction. And of course Emery wouldn't have had this much sympathy, mainly because of the reasons that have already been stated (i.e. he was awful and everyone knew it)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe I am missing something but I don't really see much excitement in how Arsenal play now whenever I see them and the only 2 big players I can see that they are missing are Ramsey and Koscielny. Arteta has an exciting talent in Martinelli he seems hesitant to use, young CB Saliba he hasn't given much of a chance, Torreira has been loaned out with Partey coming in, Monreal was a solid left-back but Tierney is definetly an upgrade on him. He froze Ozil out the side, Ramsey certainly is a big miss but I'm not sure it warrants a drop from 5th to firmly midtable now under Arteta.

You say evaluating a manager based just on results is being dense but what is so great about Arteta - I appreciate @sledger would have seen a lot more of Arsenal than me but I don't see the promising signs and process that others see under Arteta since this time last year. Others disagree but I seriously do not think Emery would have had this much sympathy if it was him rather than Arteta at the helm right now.
I think the biggest personell difference is that Aubameyang is much older and worse now than he was under Emery. They've aged really badly because for years whoever was in charge didn't understand how to manage a squad.

Does anyone think there's anything great about Arteta? 10th isn't good enough however you cut it. I think he's working with a poor squad, but he's had some control over transfers and mostly made bad ones.

But I don't think he's conclusively failed either. They've been better in the second half of the season than the first, and they have some really good young players that have improved under him. Subjectively they don't look like a poorly coached team or like a team that's lost faith in their manager. Their biggest problem recently has been a constant string of hilarious individual errors. It's not that Arteta's been impressive or anything. It's just that it still feels like there's a chance it could work.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We're in danger of not having any European Football next season. Our squad is mediocre and unbalanced but we're not that awful.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stuart Dallas completing his transformation from frustrating Championship winger to top-class PL midfielder is my favourite sub-plot of the season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Stuart Dallas completing his transformation from frustrating Championship winger to top-class PL midfielder is my favourite sub-plot of the season.
I've had him in my fantasy team since week 1, if only the rest of my selections (Bamford aside) had been that insightful.

grecian

Gotta say, that's a pretty good way to put some oomph into a flagging season, if we lose to Barrow on Tuesday now though, it would be pretty typical.

grecian

I've had him in my fantasy team since week 1, if only the rest of my selections (Bamford aside) had been that insightful.
I have in mine, umm, he's third sub though this weekend, why I am pretty crap at these things.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Most of that Leeds team were lily livered Championship also rams when Bielsa showed up.

Niall

International Coach
Load up on Dortmund btw. Paying $6 here to go through.

My football betting probably means city win 12-0 now, but that price aka 5/1 and their is bigger with UK firms seems like a massive FU to Dortmund.

City are obviously solid favs and while its not peak Dortmund, they are not exactly Brighton ffs.