• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rhys Williams is shocking.

Fun to beat Liverpool but playing them in the cup doesn’t have the arse clenching tension of the league games.

flibbertyjibber

Caught some of the Everton v Sheff Wed game after work and BT sport were playing some annoying crowd noises of kids shrieking. Has that been done on all the games this weekend, not seen any as 12 hour shifts mean you see nothing.

Uppercut

Makes sense. It's arguably the best squad in the league. There's no excuse to be 9th halfway through the season.

flibbertyjibber

Makes sense. It's arguably the best squad in the league. There's no excuse to be 9th halfway through the season.
Not just 9th but quite a way behind the top 4 as well. 5 points could be made up under a new manager but I doubt Frank would have done it.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
It annoys me at times that Lampard is virtually criticism free with some parts of the media and fanbase but I think I would have given it a few more games and reflected at table then but guess Abrahmovic isn't known for hanging around if he doesn't think the manager is cutting it.

Will be interesting to see how Havertz does if Tuchel joins wonder where he fits, if he fits in Tuchel's side - I'm not sure I'd agree with the ruined Havertz part about Lampard with disrupted season and Mount's form - I think Mount and Kante are pretty set in 2 spots of a midfield 3 with fully fit and available side (under Lampard). If Mount is going to be the person to link the attack to the midfield 3 a question what role Havertz will have in the short term as he hasn't really shown all that much

Uppercut

It annoys me at times that Lampard is virtually criticism free with some parts of the media and fanbase but I think I would have given it a few more games and reflected at table then but guess Abrahmovic isn't known for hanging around if he doesn't think the manager is cutting it.

Will be interesting to see how Havertz does if Tuchel joins wonder where he fits, if he fits in Tuchel's side - I'm not sure I'd agree with the ruined Havertz part about Lampard with disrupted season and Mount's form - I think Mount and Kante are pretty set in 2 spots of a midfield 3 with fully fit and available side (under Lampard). If Mount is going to be the person to link the attack to the midfield 3 a question what role Havertz will have in the short term as he hasn't really shown all that much
I'd have said that if you need to leave out much more talented players to get Mount in the side then that defeats the purpose of Mount. He's just not the main guy, he's the tidy and intelligent guy who can get the best out of the main guy. He's a malleable piece that you use to build the side around someone else.

I mean he's been your best player this season and you're 9th. If Werner or Havertz had been your best player this season you would not be 9th.

AOCW6

Cricket Spectator
Lampard needed more time at lower division clubs. Was drafted in to Chelsea way too soon. I think he has the makings of a really good manager, but £200m+ spent and sitting in mid-table won't do it at a "big six" club.

If Tuchel can get the best out of Havertz and Werner then Chelsea could still be a force this season and get top four.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I'd have said that if you need to leave out much more talented players to get Mount in the side then that defeats the purpose of Mount. He's just not the main guy, he's the tidy and intelligent guy who can get the best out of the main guy. He's a malleable piece that you use to build the side around someone else.

I mean he's been your best player this season and you're 9th. If Werner or Havertz had been your best player this season you would not be 9th.
I'm not sure he is all that malleable - I'm not sure he has a long term future in a front 3 and not defensive enough to be the deepest lying midfielder. I also wonder defensively quite how secure we are with Mount and Havertz in the same midfield 3. Shove Mount to the left or right of a front 3 and you are getting rid of Pulisic or Ziyech from the first XI anyway. I just question especially against decent sides (say the top 10) if the deepest of a midfield 3 is left with too much defensive responsibilities with Mount and Havertz in front of them. And whilst I agree that Havertz will be the star man whether here or somewhere else in the medium to long term - replace Mount with Havertz and Lampard would have been sacked even earlier than this. Havertz does need time to adapt to a new country and new league but most managers nowadays cannot afford to hang their hat on a player adapting and hoping they start fulfilling their talent before they've been sacked - it's a tough situation not every player will hit the ground running but as soon as they do not the manager is under pressure - build their team around an underperforming player and hope they start to perform before the manager is sacked or play with a side that might not be as good a year down the line but at the current time is the best side you can play with.

Uppercut

I'm not sure he is all that malleable - I'm not sure he has a long term future in a front 3 and not defensive enough to be the deepest lying midfielder. I also wonder defensively quite how secure we are with Mount and Havertz in the same midfield 3. Shove Mount to the left or right of a front 3 and you are getting rid of Pulisic or Ziyech from the first XI anyway. I just question especially against decent sides (say the top 10) if the deepest of a midfield 3 is left with too much defensive responsibilities with Mount and Havertz in front of them. And whilst I agree that Havertz will be the star man whether here or somewhere else in the medium to long term - replace Mount with Havertz and Lampard would have been sacked even earlier than this. Havertz does need time to adapt to a new country and new league but most managers nowadays cannot afford to hang their hat on a player adapting and hoping they start fulfilling their talent before they've been sacked - it's a tough situation not every player will hit the ground running but as soon as they do not the manager is under pressure - build their team around an underperforming player and hope they start to perform before the manager is sacked or play with a side that might not be as good a year down the line but at the current time is the best side you can play with.
Yeah I definitely don't think he should have dropped Mount. The solution was probably Mount and Havertz as roaming 8s behind a front 3, and maybe one of them dropping out for Kovacic against tougher opposition depending on how it goes. Kante isn't literally doing the work of 2 players any more but he can still cover a lot of ground.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

The best teams almost always have one player like this tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah exactly. Like a domestique in a pro-cycling team.

Park Ji-Sung immediately springs to mind whenever I think of players like this as well for some reason.

Pedro as well.

Uppercut

Man I loved Park. I don't know if he was a supporting role guy exactly. He was one of Ferguson's massive squad of players who were all tactically useful in different ways, and only he knew which one to use in which situation. You'd forget he was even at the club for months then he'd appear in the starting lineup against Arsenal or Chelsea and put in a MOTM performance.

Firmino is in poor form at the moment, but he's a great supporting player too.