• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Boateng is getting a lot of flak because he was skinned so hilariously but there's not a lot he can do there. Has to commit to stop Messi shooting with his left.

The finish was so, so beautiful. Incredible how easy he makes the wrong-foot chip look.
Showing Messi the outside and covering the inside was the right move. Going down like that was the wrong move; should have stayed on his feet.

Yeah so good. I don't think there were any tactics Pep could've used to get a result here, the difference in quality between the two forward lines is just too big.

They completely panicked at 1-0 though. Even at 2-0, overturning that deficit at home isn't unusual at all. They're behind, but still completely in the game, there's no need to commit everyone forward.

Winds me up when teams treat first legs as if they're a whole game. Like when they're winning 1-0 away and decline a counter at the end to take the ball into the corner, it's as stupid as doing that just before half-time in a league match.
I think they needed that away goal, regardless. 2-0 going to Munich...there is no way they are shutting out Messi, Suarez and Neymar. Even 1 goal means they'd have to score 4. They needed it.

Like you say though; I think the quality of the frontlines was always going to sway it in Barca's favour. Ironically, Pep might have been better served doing a Mourinho and simply shut up shop, pass it around and try for a lucky break. Take 0 or 1 goal conceded home and win the match there.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Showing Messi the outside and covering the inside was the right move. Going down like that was the wrong move; should have stayed on his feet.
Right, but it's not a case of just showing Messi outside, he had to commit himself to stopping the left-foot shot. Ten yards further up the pitch and you'd be spot on, but from that position the goal becomes such a big target that covering the inside requires you to dive in. He fell over as a result of having to change direction when he was already committed.

I think they needed that away goal, regardless. 2-0 going to Munich...there is no way they are shutting out Messi, Suarez and Neymar. Even 1 goal means they'd have to score 4. They needed it.
I appreciate what you're saying but you can't push everyone forward just before half-time because you don't believe you're capable of keeping a clean sheet in the second half. It's defeatist. 2-0 away from home leaves you behind, but not exactly in need of a miracle. They put 4 past Barca at home the season before last.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Right, but it's not a case of just showing Messi outside, he had to commit himself to stopping the left-foot shot. Ten yards further up the pitch and you'd be spot on, but from that position the goal becomes such a big target that covering the inside requires you to dive in. He fell over as a result of having to change direction when he was already committed.
I think you can commit without going down like that. You're basically putting your eggs in one basket. Brilliant finish anyway, I guess. Probably ****ed regardless.

I appreciate what you're saying but you can't push everyone forward just before half-time because you don't believe you're capable of keeping a clean sheet in the second half. It's defeatist. 2-0 away from home leaves you behind, but not exactly in need of a miracle. They put 4 past Barca at home the season before last.
I don't think that example works in terms of away goals. It's not half-time; it's end of the time that an away goal will count for more, later. Scoring that goal at home (second half) is not getting that advantage.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah very happy with Depay. Not a guaranteed success but ticks all the boxes- young, high ceiling, fills an obvious hole in the squad.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
United need to buy defenders. Have to be one of the most lopsided elite teams. I realize that not being able to score has been a bigger problem recently, but give this attack another season, and they should be able to bring it together. Btw, does anyone know if Falcao is staying?

Uppercut

I'd say that's unlikely. I can't think of any reason why we would keep him unless we ballsed up with the terms of the initial deal.

FWIW I completely disagree with you. Our defence is young and rapidly improving, our attack is old and rapidly declining. Mostly need a new RB and someone to play Carrick's role.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

I'd say that's unlikely. I can't think of any reason why we would keep him unless we ballsed up with the terms of the initial deal.

FWIW I completely disagree with you. Our defence is young and rapidly improving, our attack is old and rapidly declining. Mostly need a new RB and someone to play Carrick's role.
Yeah, but would you fancy this defence in a UCL game? Don't think their attack is old and declining tbh. And they don't need any more attacking options unless they let go of both Falcao and Di Maria (who is being linked to Bayern). Yeah, need a new Carrick for sure.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Very unprofessional behaviour on Talk Sport radio yesterday. At each news bulletin they played a clip of John Carver saying he thinks he's the best coach in the Premier League. There was a distinct smirk in the tone of voice of the newsreaders and Andy Jacobs and Danny Kelly could both at different times be heard laughing in the background.

harsh.ag

**** Journalism Part Infinity +1:

On Liverpool's potential signing of Pirlo from Juve -

It would be a stunning transfer if Liverpool could pull it off, with Pirlo arguably being one of the finest pass-masters in Europe in recent years.
Mother****er. A casual observer would think Pirlo was a player in his prime or something.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
lol ok then.

Pirlo's great but really not what Liverpool need.

As for United's defence? I always find it amusing when people go 'moar defenders' but don't actually give any names. Truth of the matter is that a)there's not that many good defenders going around anyway and b) if your defence regularly gets exposed then your problem is actually further forward.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Liverpool need someone who can pass from deep, that's not the issue. The issue is that he's a 35 year old at a three time title winner in the CL semis.