• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Costa
Rooney
Sturridge (ie fit Sturridge)

Just off the top of my head these are unarguably better. So unarguable you will physically be unable to reply

Giroud having a gun season though tbf
Don't agree with Rooney or Sturridge, Costa has glass hamstrings.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When the half-time analysts talk about "Burnley's defensive shape" you know it's a humdinger of a match.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Young Harold at ver Spuds has to be there or thereabouts too.
Well, his record this year kind of means he can't really be excluded from such a debate, but there's just something about him I find unconvincing. If he's still performing as well as he is at present a year from now I'll have to concede it, but for the time being I'm not convinced he's not just a better version of Michael Ricketts.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Don't agree with Rooney or Sturridge, Costa has glass hamstrings.
You cant disregard their previous seasons tho especially Costa who was one of the leading strikers in Europe last season.I cant say Giroud has made an impact close to what Costa did last season.Giroud may be marginally better right now than some of the names which is being mentioned here and tbh this is very much a form thing.These kind of debates will hold more relevance when its discussed over seasons imo.

grecian

Well, his record this year kind of means he can't really be excluded from such a debate, but there's just something about him I find unconvincing. If he's still performing as well as he is at present a year from now I'll have to concede it, but for the time being I'm not convinced he's not just a better version of Michael Ricketts.
Got to watch out for second season syndrome, and the fact that he's the next hyped England player which rarely works out well. Accept for when Matt Grimes wows on his future England debut obvs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You cant disregard their previous seasons tho especially Costa who was one of the leading strikers in Europe last season.I cant say Giroud has made an impact close to what Costa did last season.Giroud may be marginally better right now than some of the names which is being mentioned here and tbh this is very much a form thing.These kind of debates will hold more relevance when its discussed over seasons imo.
Giroud's record from his entire time at Arsenal is very strong though. About 40 goals in 90s games iirc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tough to take talk of Kane being a one season wonder seriously when we're comparing him to Giroud, who has quite literally been twice as prolific as he's ever been in his career this season. Kane is young enough to believe that it's a proper improvement and not just a hot streak as well, whereas Giroud is 28 and showed few signs of suddenly exploding.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tough to take talk of Kane being a one season wonder seriously when we're comparing him to Giroud, who has quite literally been twice as prolific as he's ever been in his career this season. Kane is young enough to believe that it's a proper improvement and not just a hot streak as well, whereas Giroud is 28 and showed few signs of suddenly exploding.
As alluded to above though, the only real reason he's being mentioned in any debate about the league's best forwards is because of the sheer volume of goals he's amassed over the course of the last 7 months or so. Given that this is pretty much the only thing he has ever done ever, I don't think it's especially surprising that some might reserve judgement re: his overall quality.

grecian

As alluded to above though, the only real reason he's being mentioned in any debate about the league's best forwards is because of the sheer volume of goals he's amassed over the course of the last 7 months or so. Given that this is pretty much the only thing he has ever done ever, I don't think it's especially surprising that some might reserve judgement re: his overall quality.
Yes, and I'm afraid the "he's young he'll only improve" thing has been proved wrong 1000s of times.

Just let him have another good season now all the defenders know about him. FTR I think he will be very good, but I've thought that about many other young Englishman who only went downhill.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Giroud's record from his entire time at Arsenal is very strong though. About 40 goals in 90s games iirc.
Costa was only behind Messi and CR in the scoring charts last year and i'd say thats a pretty mean feat.And his first season in England has been rather excellent.Obviously in terms of overall quality i'd rate all of Sturridge,Costa and Rooney above Giroud.
If i want to bring in a close to an apt comparison,Giroud is about Higuain level right now.Even his misses in the CL are very Higuain-like you know :p

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Costa has been very good for a while. Since about 11/12 he's been very prolific. Last season was just the first time he got a near full season fit playing as a striker (played wide the season before to accommodate the fraud Falcao :ph34r:).