• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Liverpool finish above Arsenal - you have my avatar for double the original bet
Arsenal finish above Liverpool - we're even and nobody gets anyone's avatar

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Man Utd board giving Moyes Juan Mata was the equivalent of giving your granny a Samsung S4 for Christmas.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
So so tired, but so so happy. Always too nervous to enjoy games at the time, so will enjoy the replay tonight.

Everyone was great, Allen and Hendo particularly just didn't stop. Almost hope we win the league for Flanagan as much as Gerrard now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bet should have been void when Spurs hired Tim ****ing Sherwood I reckon.
It's fair to say Sherwood has even less of a clue than AVB did, but getting Adebayor back in the side probably makes it worth it. Lost a few in a row but I do think they're better now than they were at the start of the season.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's fair to say Sherwood has even less of a clue than AVB did, but getting Adebayor back in the side probably makes it worth it. Lost a few in a row but I do think they're better now than they were at the start of the season.

Tottenham have lost 5 of their 7 last matches.. under AVB they lost 5 of 26 matches this season #thfc
Bringing back Adebayor was only ever going to be a short-term fix, as he is at most clubs he's been at. It really isn't a big deal.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Disagree, I guess. Although if there is any improvement I'd say it's down to the clump of new players having time to 'gel' rather than any improvements from management.

Uppercut

Bringing back Adebayor was only ever going to be a short-term fix, as he is at most clubs he's been at. It really isn't a big deal.
That stat is about as cherry-picked as you can get. Taking Europa League qualifiers into account there. They've gone from seventh to fifth since changing manager, it's not too controversial to say they've improved.

Sure, Adebayor isn't a long-term fix, but then neither is Sherwood, as much as he might like to think otherwise. At least they'll probably get a decent price for Adebayor now. Seems to be Levy's priority.

grecian

That stat is about as cherry-picked as you can get. Taking Europa League qualifiers into account there. They've gone from seventh to fifth since changing manager, it's not too controversial to say they've improved.

Sure, Adebayor isn't a long-term fix, but then neither is Sherwood, as much as he might like to think otherwise. At least they'll probably get a decent price for Adebayor now. Seems to be Levy's priority.
Yeah it was a poor stat really, and generally against "my keep stats out of football" belief. Yet I'd say they've moved up because other teams have just played worse. Yet the fact is the new players were always going to bed in better after awhile, Eriksen has started to look a player, as he was always likely too.

Uppercut

The new signings have barely played under Sherwood though. Chadli is still as useless as ever, Eriksen has maybe improved slightly, but Paulinho has got worse. None of the others are being picked. Whereas Adebayor in his current form is an enormous upgrade on Soldado and Defoe.

Maybe they haven't improved. I just think they're a little better from what I've seen, I don't have anything to really back it up and some will disagree. But if we agree that they have improved, Adebayor's return is a much more plausible explanation than new players bedding in.

Anyway I had a rant about Sherwood and AVB dividing the media but actually both being crap. Tim Sherwood and Andre Villas-Boas: Two wrongs at Tottenham | Premier League Owl

Last edited:

grecian

Well I'm not going to argue that both aren't crap, I'm not a massive fan of AVB myself. Yet I would have given him a season to see if he could make those signings work, unless they had a great manager lined up, which clearly they didn't.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The new signings have barely played under Sherwood though. Chadli is still as useless as ever, Eriksen has maybe improved slightly, but Paulinho has got worse. None of the others are being picked. Whereas Adebayor in his current form is an enormous upgrade on Soldado and Defoe.

Maybe they haven't improved. I just think they're a little better from what I've seen, I don't have anything to really back it up and some will disagree. But if we agree that they have improved, Adebayor's return is a much more plausible explanation than new players bedding in.

Anyway I had a rant about Sherwood and AVB dividing the media but actually both being crap. Tim Sherwood and Andre Villas-Boas: Two wrongs at Tottenham | Premier League Owl
Unless Sherwood sent Spurs nose-diving into a relegation battle then it would have been nearly impossible not to improve on AVB.

I think you can put Spurs' "improvement" down to Sherwood getting a piss-easy run of fixtures to kick off his reign. Now they're hitting the business end of the Europa League and playing the big boys in the Premier League, funnily enough results have tailed off.

Uppercut

It's not their results that I think have improved. They were winning games at the start of the season but we all agreed they were ****e at the time and it was always going to catch up with them. I don't think they're playing so badly now, even if their results haven't changed much.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They're much better going forward, which I would put almost entirely down to Adebayor being in the side. Funnily enough under Sherwood, they're also a lot worse at the back IMO.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Pretty much nailed it really.

Pothas

Well I'm not going to argue that both aren't crap, I'm not a massive fan of AVB myself. Yet I would have given him a season to see if he could make those signings work, unless they had a great manager lined up, which clearly they didn't.
If the Van Gaal rumours are true then they will have a proper one next season.