• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
On a more serious note, I've just been watching ITV news about Muamba, one of the medical staff said the problem's now more with his brain than his heart. That doesn't sound good at all :(
Maybe due to lack of oxygen to the brain when he wasn't breathing?

Genuinely shocking incident. Thank God for the medical advances that have kept him alive, but it's one of those things that just put everything else into perspective. Thoughts are with his child and fiance, as well as the poor lad himself.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, from what I understand oxygen/brain related issues are the most common concern for those who survive this long after suffering a heart attack.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just an awful thing, scary to think this can happen to someone so young, is the same age as me.

Watching highlights of Man Utd win and Wolves look shot, got to be going down. There really are 5 dire sides this year, Wigan missing a big opportunity with those two draws but they certainly got a chance still.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
McCarthy may be mediocre but his sacking has to go down as one of the more questionable decisions this season

Pothas

The whole thing was a total joke, taking desicive action in January can certainly work (even if QPR go down I think they did the right thing) but Wolves did it with no plan whatsoever.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In other news, Real mAdrid players showing their support for Muamba tonight as well. Incredible reaction from players and fans everywhere really. Hope he makes a full recovery.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
^^^

Not. Clear and blatant dive.

The whole thing was a total joke, taking desicive action in January can certainly work (even if QPR go down I think they did the right thing) but Wolves did it with no plan whatsoever.
TBF, they did have a plan and he was called Alan Curbishley. I have it on good authority (the bird who sits next to me at work) that Curbs was offered the gig no fewer than five times, but couldn't reach an agreement over transfers. He wanted a more hands-on part in dealings than Wolves were prepared to give him.

I suppose the moral here is don't commit yourself to irrevocable action until every "i" is dotted and "t" crossed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Funny you should both say that, as the pundits on BBC Scotland reckon it was a stonewaller and Neil Lennon thinks the same.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's a bit like saying Hansen and Lawrenson are on the BBC saying things are penalties for Liverpool and Kenny Dalglish agreeing though (or like Clive Tydelsey mentioning Manure in any game he commentates on for ITV regardless of if they're playing or not)

Jarquis

Swansea Uni student arrested for comments he made on Twitter about Muamba.
Pleaded guilty too.

grecian

Pleaded guilty too.
Yep, saw his comments at the time, it was quite surreal watching him dig a hole, whilst keeping a smug attitude of superiority.

It wasn't the Muamba thing that ****ed him up, it was slinging racist abuse at people he didn't know, who were questioning his comments. Not even the one's that were threatening him, he slowly eroded any defence he might have had.

****ing ****, deserves everything he gets, when you compare Muambas back-story, to this seemingly over-privelleged twerp, who thinks it's banter to wish Fabrice dead. Hope that he loses his uni place, and has to work hard to reform himself, may give him some idea how Muamba's family felt when usurped from their home, and relations and friens were killed.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funny you should both say that, as the pundits on BBC Scotland reckon it was a stonewaller and Neil Lennon thinks the same.
It's definitely a dive. Might be a foul too though, I can't really tell how much contact there was from that angle. The ball's in the way.

I've disagreed with Brumby on this one before (although in that case it was a United pen against Arsenal). I think it can be both a dive and a penalty. If a player pauses for a second before deciding to fall over after being fouled, it doesn't mean he wasn't fouled.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yep, saw his comments at the time, it was quite surreal watching him dig a hole, whilst keeping a smug attitude of superiority.

It wasn't the Muamba thing that ****ed him up, it was slinging racist abuse at people he didn't know, who were questioning his comments. Not even the one's that were threatening him, he slowly eroded any defence he might have had.

****ing ****, deserves everything he gets, when you compare Muambas back-story, to this seemingly over-privelleged twerp, who thinks it's banter to wish Fabrice dead. Hope that he loses his uni place, and has to work hard to reform himself, may give him some idea how Muamba's family felt when usurped from their home, and relations and friens were killed.
There was this charmer too https://twitter.com/#!/Walken4GOP . Beyond UK jurisdiction but a despicable fellow

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's definitely a dive. Might be a foul too though, I can't really tell how much contact there was from that angle. The ball's in the way.

I've disagreed with Brumby on this one before (although in that case it was a United pen against Arsenal). I think it can be both a dive and a penalty. If a player pauses for a second before deciding to fall over after being fouled, it doesn't mean he wasn't fouled.
Yeah, agree with this.

Hard to tell how much contact there was from this angle, and indeed hard to determine who's made contact with the ball. But the rather theatrical exaggerated dive to the floor makes it look like a definite attempt to con the officials.

The reaction of the Celtic players in the background is hardly one you'd expect if they thought their team mate had just been scythed down in the box either. Though granted it's a little hard to assess their full reaction due to the vid cutting out where it does.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pleaded guilty too.
Wasn't actually arrested for the comment made about Muamba though. Deplorable as acting in such a way is, it's not a criminal offence. It's the overtly racist comments directed at those who took offence to the original comment that he's being hauled over the coals for. Another stupid bastard who thinks they get impunity from the law by using the internet as a vehicle to carry out abusive behaviour, idiot. Deserves all he gets.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All you can do with Muamba is pray and hope he recovers. To be honest nothing else matters in football at present as far as I am concerned. Same goes for Abidal.