• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hmm, "critically ill" being reported from the hospital. Sky have got this badly wrong, IMHO.
In Norwegian hospital language you can be critically ill but stable. Seems counter-intuitive, but given that he's presumably survived for three hours it seems somewhat accurate...

cpr

International Coach
Yeah Bolton have said themselves he's in a critical condition. Not one of those people who states 'Pray for X', but really really hope on hope he comes through ok

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does't 'stable' essentially mean that regardless of how good or bad his condition is, it's not changing dramatically?
Yes, but as their was no announcement about how he was before, just saying "stable" was a pointless and stupid thing to do, even if accurate.

There is also this definition of critically Ill.

"A patient who is experiencing an acute life-threatening episode or who is believed to be in imminent danger of such an episode. A critically ill patient is medically unstable and, if not treated, likely to decline"

They should have just waited for the official statement, like a proper news service, and not try to go for the big exclusive on hearsay.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The FA Cup has certainly decreased in prestige since I've been watching. The 99 semi-final replay against Arsenal still sticks in my mind as one of the best games I've ever seen and it's difficult to imagine that sort of game happening today; both sides would be resting players for other competitions, particularly in our case given the fixture list we had at the time.

That said, various old school interviews I've seen with the likes of Brian Clough saying that the priority every year is the league over both Europe and the FA Cup make me find it difficult to believe that it's been more important than the league, for a considerable amount of time at least.

As an aside, it always interests me how when I was younger and before the FA Cup had lost some of its prestige, people always looked at upsets and viewed them as the "magic of the cup", and now they look at them as evidence of the top teams' apathy with the competition.
It'd be impossible; straight to pens in semis now.

Thoughts with Muamba too. Sounds a very bad one. :(

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Oh Wolves. That was bad.

In other news, Maxi comes in for Henderson! Definitely staying up now. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, so despite Wigan's shortcomings, they've actually ended up moving up a place in the table because of Wolves' ineptitude. Sadly that's about the best thing that can be said about this round of games, as Utd are looking pretty imperious and in good spirits for the title run in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When's the Citeh-United game? Almost worth hoping for Man U to keep winning in the meantime just for the gutted faces when they get smashed at the City of Manchester

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not till the end of April. City have to face Chelsea and Arsenal in the meantime though. That said, should beat Chelsea at home easily enough because they're pretty rubbish. Arsenal could implode at any moment as well, so that's not exactly an unwinnable game either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
City winning at home seems a given at this point. Could be one of the ATG Manchester derbies. Which would make two this season, the other being the 1-6 of course

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reckon whoever updates the thing must have tipped a few too many cones down the hatch at lunch time today before clocking in for work tbh.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yewwwwwwww

Oh the joys of playing two attacking wide players. Would probably prefer Kuyt over Carroll, but whatever! Lovely goals.

cover drive man

International Captain
Good stuff lads, hopefully another trip to wembley's on the cards :D

On a more serious note, I've just been watching ITV news about Muamba, one of the medical staff said the problem's now more with his brain than his heart. That doesn't sound good at all :(