• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The new Duncan Edwards, totally missed the header that led to the first goal, gave away the FK for the second, scored the third.
To be fair the first goal was a great finish, he may not have won the header, but it was a difficult one contested with a rather difficult opponent in Shola Ameobi, so I don't think you can really attribute too much blame to him for that one. Similarly with the second it was a pretty stupid foul to give away, but 9 times out of 10 freekicks from that distance will end up in the stands, so it's not like this is a stupid area to concede a freekick more often than not. But in any case it was another great finish and so he can only accept so much of the blame.

He may not have covered himself in glory, but I think when you concede goals of this quality you more or less just have to hold your hands up because they're more the result of good attacking than poor defending.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Feeling so embarrassed right now.... Our defence is a joke... We showed no urgency today... Newcastle were all over us!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly how good is Luka Modric?

I understand his main asset is his build-up passing, but the fact is he only has one goal (what a goal :() and three assists this season.

He's obviously quality, but personally I don't think he's in the elite of the Premier League, which is where his reputation seems to lay atm.
You seem to watch a lot of Premiership football right?

Well then you should just know by watching him that he is ****ing brilliant.

Spurs in such a good position right now it has to be said, not overly happy about that but their first team at least is really rather good..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Spurs in such a good position right now it has to be said, not overly happy about that but their first team at least is really rather good..
Would sell him if I was offered 40 million mind.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, not many that you wouldn't, guess they can say it was justified based on current league position though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really can't understand it myself either. For mine Valencia is a far more threatening midfielder than Nani is, and Rafael is reasonable at full-back. Better than Valencia in any case. Thought Valencia may even have been lucky to get away with not picking up a second yellow for persistent fouling actually. Was probably his 5th or 6th by the time the ref booked him, and he went on to make another 3 or 4 after that.
Hmm, he's slightly better at a lot of aspects of the game but Nani scores/creates amazing goals out of nowhere a lot.

Rafael's just back from an injury so he's probably not quite there yet. I don't think Valencia at right back is a disaster as a stop-gap, a bit dodgy positionally but also a total machine.

Not the worst ever performance tonight, tough to compete when the other side score a couple of wonder goals from nothing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rafael's just back from an injury so he's probably not quite there yet. I don't think Valencia at right back is a disaster as a stop-gap, a bit dodgy positionally but also a total machine.
Am I right in thinking that at the weekend Rafael played CM with Valencia at RB though, surely that is pure bollocks selection?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Exactly how good is Luka Modric?

I understand his main asset is his build-up passing, but the fact is he only has one goal (what a goal :() and three assists this season.

He's obviously quality, but personally I don't think he's in the elite of the Premier League, which is where his reputation seems to lay atm.
Might be because (as you seem very keen to point out when Downing is slagged off for doing the square root of **** all all season) it's about more than just the goals and assists.
Excuse me? Please point out where I "seem very keen to point out" that football is about more than statistics when Downing is (rightly) belted. He's gotten worse and worse as the season has gone on, and doesn't deserve a starting spot at present. Not that this was meant to be about Downing...

Made my post while watching a replay of the Spurs vs WBA game. And I agree that his build-up play is brilliant... but that's about it. My question is - is that enough for him to be in the top bracket of Prem players?

Thank you Sledger for an actual answer.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who plays centre mid in a 4-4-2 and scores/creates more goals than Modric? Of course completely running the game is enough.