• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Including Henry's goals in Champion's League knock-out rounds of the last 2 years he progresses to 7 out of 15, (2 out of 4 in 03/04, 1 out of 2 in 04/05). He scored 0 out of 3 in World Cup 2002 and 2 out of 4 in Euro 2004 (in the most meaningless game of the 4 he scored 2 against the mighty Switzerland). So he's now up to a... fantastic... 9 out of 22. Now including the FA Cup for the last 2 years Henry didn't score at all last season, so that's 0 out of 7 and scored 3 in 03/04 so that's 3 out of 5. Henry is now at 12 out of 34 - Wow. I should point out of course that Henry might have missed some of these games, but I doubt he'd of missed many.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yes but you were making reference to his record against good teams.....surely if thats the case then half of the champions league amd FA cup stats are irrelevant.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
sledger said:
yes but you were making reference to his record against good teams.....surely if thats the case then half of the champions league amd FA cup stats are irrelevant.
Exactly. You've gone from analysing his performance against good teams to analysing his performance in non-Premiership games.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To change the subject entirely, anyone got the slightest clue why Mark Halsey was refereeing Kidderminster v Exeter on Saturday?

twctopcat

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
Exactly. You've gone from analysing his performance against good teams to analysing his performance in non-Premiership games.
The blind fact is Henry is an absolutely superb world class footballer. Anyone to think otherwise is simply ludicrous.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
twctopcat said:
The blind fact is Henry is an absolutely superb world class footballer. Anyone to think otherwise is simply ludicrous.
By 'eck. Imagine what he'd be saying if old Tezza played for United...

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
By 'eck. Imagine what he'd be saying if old Tezza played for United...
Something along the lines of "the one".

That however is already taken by the one they call "Wayne".

Scaly piscine

sledger said:
Whatever, he's a big game flop then.

I'll revise the FA Cup games:

FA Cup 03/04 0 goals from 2 games (v Chelsea, v Man U)
FA Cup 04/05 0 goals from 1 game (v Man U)

So he's 9 out of 25 now. The CL stats I gave were all relevant because they were in the KO stage and they played Bayern Munich, Celta Vigo and Chelsea. I'll let you have Inter in the group stages (2 from 2 games) the other teams he's been up against have been crap as far as I'm concerned so that makes it 11 from 27. The 7 internationals included were against Uruguay (0), Denmark (0), Senegal (0), England (0), Croatia (0), Switzerland (2) and Greece (0) - I'll let you decide which are these aren't good enough to be included. Other internationals of late you could include (but I haven't, yet) are Switzerland (0 from 2), Ireland (1 from 2) and Israel (0 from 2).

Scaly piscine

twctopcat said:
To be world class you have to be able to regularly produce against world class teams - he hasn't even regularly produced against good, quality opposition as I'm showing.

Seems to be a modern thing where people throw 'world class' or 'great' around far too easily.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
To be world class you have to be able to regularly produce against world class teams - he hasn't even regularly produced against good, quality opposition as I'm showing.

Seems to be a modern thing where people throw 'world class' or 'great' around far too easily.
I don't. And he is. Football is football and the amount of skill he has is incomparable. There is true greatness in elevating a team to success e.g platini, beckenbauer, maradona and pele. And there is being able to do things with a ball that no-one else can do. Henry falls in this category. It may not fall under the strict oxford english dictionary definition of world class but to me, and i hope anyone who plays football, that is good enough.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
twctopcat said:
I don't. And he is. Football is football and the amount of skill he has is incomparable. There is true greatness in elevating a team to success e.g platini, beckenbauer, maradona and pele. And there is being able to do things with a ball that no-one else can do. Henry falls in this category. It may not fall under the strict oxford english dictionary definition of world class but to me, and i hope anyone who plays football, that is good enough.
Hear hear. There have been very, very few players to match Henry over the last decade or so in any league anywhere in the world. Ask any footballer who the top three players in the world are and Henry will be one of the names you hear from the lips of every single one of them. Regardless of statistics, of performances against this team or that team, of medals won, of systems and formations, some sportsmen are just special, and Henry is one of them.

Scaly piscine

What a load of utter rubbish. Henry has good ball control and lots of pace, and that's it. There's nothing special about him whatsoever. Special players excel when you put them in environments like big games or up against big teams, Henry doesn't because he's not a special player - at present someone like Ronaldinho is special.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
What a load of utter rubbish. Henry has good ball control and lots of pace, and that's it. There's nothing special about him whatsoever. Special players excel when you put them in environments like big games or up against big teams, Henry doesn't because he's not a special player - at present someone like Ronaldinho is special.
Hahaha. I'm not one for sarcastic laughs but this merits one. His pace combined with touch, vision, flair and finishing makes him awesome. However his heading makes him below average i agree.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
I'm glad you at least acknowledge that Ronaldinho's not bad - but I'm afraid the rest of that post is complete crap.

Scaly piscine

twctopcat said:
Hahaha. I'm not one for sarcastic laughs but this merits one. His pace combined with touch, vision, flair and finishing makes him awesome. However his heading makes him below average i agree.
This from someone who compares someone who has an average International record and is anonymous in the big games with 4 all time greats in the game - now that's funny.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
This from someone who compares someone who has an average International record and is anonymous in the big games with 4 all time greats in the game - now that's funny.
Only to you. To everyone else "Henry's got nothing but pace and control" is funny.

Scaly piscine

Barney Rubble said:
Only to you. To everyone else "Henry's got nothing but pace and control" is funny.
If he's so much more than that why does he have such lousy stats against good teams at his peak?