• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another first innings lead for Durham, not a great effort in the second innings but you'd back them to defend 250-300.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir returning due to personal reasons ftl. Hope it's nothing serious and he gets back.

Anyone got any idea what sort of player Harry Finch is? Also really want Beer to go well, he's got pretty big shoes to fill.

Scaly piscine

Any help? :(
The problem is swing depends a fair on the weather and different pitches do different things - apart from Cardiff which is always dire.

For instance Headingley used to be a seamer's paradise and a spinner's graveyard. But it's been fairly flat lately and offered a bit for the spinner.

Trent Bridge would probably be the best bet for a pitch that tends to swing and bounce relatively low. Don't really know about non-Test venues.

Oh and another note:

Corey Collymore is bowled by Jade Dernbach for 0 - YouTube

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Gambhir returning due to personal reasons ftl. Hope it's nothing serious and he gets back.

Anyone got any idea what sort of player Harry Finch is? Also really want Beer to go well, he's got pretty big shoes to fill.
England and Australia could probably both make an XI with the same names. Finch, Wells, Burns, Clarke, Smith, Nash (?), Beer etc.

mde203

Cricket Spectator
FFS CK how do you get out to him, just when I was getting some small hope.
Given a choice between Kieswetter and Buttler to stay long-term I'd dump Kieswetter in an instant and give Buttler the gloves. Kieswetter is such a frustrating batsman who should be nowhere near number five in our batting line-up. His dismissal in the first innings was really poor, he edged one over point, then the next ball he was dropped by the bowler then the next ball he chipped one to mid-off. Such a poor championship batsman.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You can't say you'd get rid of Kieswetter because he's a poor championship batsman and then retain Buttler FFS.

grecian

Calm down mr 96, I agree with the newb from the greatest County in the World, Jos, over bedwetter every time.

but honestly when did Shiv last take a first-class wicket, I thought he'd jacked in bowling altogether?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Calm down mr 96, I agree with the newb from the greatest County in the World, Jos, over bedwetter every time.

but honestly when did Shiv last take a first-class wicket, I thought he'd jacked in bowling altogether?
I remember him taking a Test wicket in the last couple of years; a ridiculous piece of wicket keeping from Carlton Baugh to stump a batsman in the millisecond he raised his heal. I think he'd actually left the ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah was here:
3rd Test: West Indies v India at Roseau, Jul 6-10, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

59.3 83.5 kph, VVS has managed to get stumped after leaving a wide delivery, fancy that for a freakish dismissal, he had just ambled back after leaving the ball and the back foot was in the air for just an instant, just an instant, and that was enough for an alert Baugh to whip off the bails, Laxman looked surprised when West Indies appealed and even more so when the third umpire ruled him out, Chanders is mobbed by his team-mates, he is grinning broadly, 9th wicket in 133 Tests, he'll take it172/5
Don't think he's taken one since.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
CK is a better championship batsman, better gloveman and less likely to be missing games through international commitment in the forceable future. There's a reason Somerset aren't telling him to piss off and giving Buttler a big expansive fancy new contract. Well, they might be doing the latter, but they're not doing the former.

Look, I love Jos to bits, and both think, and hope, he'll be England wicketkeeper for years to come, at least in the short forms. But at the moment, he just doesn't bring more to a county than Craig.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can't say you'd get rid of Kieswetter because he's a poor championship batsman and then retain Buttler FFS.
He did say long-term though. He's not saying Buttler has been better so far; just that he thinks he's likely to be/perform better in the near future. Honestly don't think it's an unreasonable call.

mde203

Cricket Spectator
Buttler has shown the ability to knuckle down and play an innings for us this season. He averages 38 in Championship cricket this season compared to Kieswetter's 30, and has just 30 fewer runs in two fewer games. At the beginning of the season Buttler was often the batsman to bat us out of a tough situation.

He had two big partnerships with Alviro Petersen in tough situations early in the season and top scored in most of Somerset's terrible low scores. He put on 120 with Trego and scored 80 when staring down an innings defeat against Middlesex. Oddly he was better in Championship cricket this season than he was in one-day cricket.

His wicket keeping has also improved massively, while Kieswetter has been very inconsistent, letting through 18 byes from Leech and Chawla yesterday when we were defending just 106.