• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
We're not surprisingly a bit top-heavy on the batting side aren't we?
Yeah... I guess the strongest England batting lineup and weekest bowling line up for a long time...

Combine that with feathery lifeless West Indian pitches you get nowadays, lots of high scoring!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I don't remember being asked this question directly, but what I will say is what I've always said regarding him - when he's performing better than the rest of the bowlers, I do not see why his is the first name on the list of people for the chop.
Considering the bowling attack you speak of included Giles who was playing on surfaces totally unsuited to his style of bowling, and in Australia, Dawson, you can hardly claim that. Yes he has performed better than Hoggard, but only against weak opposition. Now if you claim he's done better than the bowlers he is similer in style to in the squad, then your arguement would have basis, but including the performances of bowlers of totally different styles and not taking any of the conditions or opponents into account, it doesn't exactly lend it's self to a strong case for retention does it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That is not what I have ever said.

I questioned why his is the first name called for when others are performing worse.
It is exactly what you have said - I think his name should be amongst the first (read all) called for if he's averaging 80 and the rest are averaging 90 (and that means he's doing better than the rest).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
My picks :D

+ Good performances!

MP Vaughan
MA Butcher
ME Trescothick
BC Lara
S Chanderpaul
R Sarwan
ARF Giles
R Johnson

- Poor Performances!

N Hussain
D Ganga
Dwayne Smith
S Harmison
J Anderson
F Edwards
C Gayle
I seriously hope Gayle and Hussain swap with Trescothick and Sarwan.
It would be a shame to see two good batsmen fail at the expense of two whose Test averages are already higher than their First-Class ones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
It would be a shame to see two good batsmen fail at the expense of two whose Test averages are already higher than their First-Class ones.
And pray tell why Gayle and Hussain are good batsmen, but Sarwan and Trescothick not?

Why would it be a shame?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
So you're saying that Sarwan doesn't deserve his Test avge? I'm shocked, considering that you have seen Sarwan bat. His technique is better than Gayle's and he's a very good young batsman IMO.

PS - Brian Lara and Viv Richards have higher Test averages than FC averages. What a shame!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I still hope Lara's First-Class average rises.
Because while most won't give a damn, I think it is a shame.
Sarwan's technique is fine, but he'd score a hell of a lot more runs at both levels of cricket if he had better shot-selection.
Technique is important, but shot-selection is what really seperates the wheat from the chaff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And pray tell why Gayle and Hussain are good batsmen, but Sarwan and Trescothick not?

Why would it be a shame?
I never said they weren't good - just that I hope they fail in the Tests to lessen the gap between First-Class and Test records.
As I always do.
I also hope that Gayle and Hussain do as well as possible because their Test records do not, at present, do justice to my perception of their ability.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I never said they weren't good - just that I hope they fail in the Tests to lessen the gap between First-Class and Test records.
As I always do.
And what exactly is wrong with a batsman having a better Test than FC record?

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
ARF Giles
I though it was AF Giles?

Unluss Giles has an unknown brother.

I predict Tino Best to play in this Test series and Ian Bradshaw to make his Test debut.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
I though it was AF Giles?

Unluss Giles has an unknown brother.

I predict Tino Best to play in this Test series and Ian Bradshaw to make his Test debut.
Best likely will. Bradshaw is very doubtful though. I'm pretty certain he'll play ODIs before Tests and he probably should too.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The last time I had seen Tino Best in action, he bowled 140+ rubbish and he was dropped after that. Is he doing any better these days?

Would you recommend Merv Dillon for this series, or would the likes of Lawson, Powell, Taylor, Edwards and Rampaul be better?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lawson - AFAIK still not fit.
Powell - hasn't been in the picture for some time.
Taylor - hardly been impressive in Test-career to date. Only played 2 games, fair enough.
Edwards - been terrible, basically, in South Africa. Clearly nowhere near accurate enough; how quickly that can be changed is key.
Rampaul deserves a chance if he gets one.
I agree that Best is a very, very poor bowler and not one with the greatest temperament either. The Lloyd-Best spat in 2002 was not a savoury incident and I fully supported Lloyd's reaction of throwing his bat at the bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And what exactly is wrong with a batsman having a better Test than FC record?
Domestic FC cricket is of a lower standard than Test-cricket (in general).
It is an opportunity, therefore, for a batsman to do better than he does in Tests.
If he wastes that opportunity it's, IMO, a shame.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
The amount of non-Test FC cricket he'll play renders that extremely unlikely.
Never know - a decent county season averaging 100 (not OOTQ) can do wonders.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Lawson - AFAIK still not fit.
Powell - hasn't been in the picture for some time.
Taylor - hardly been impressive in Test-career to date. Only played 2 games, fair enough.
Edwards - been terrible, basically, in South Africa. Clearly nowhere near accurate enough; how quickly that can be changed is key.
Rampaul deserves a chance if he gets one.
I agree that Best is a very, very poor bowler and not one with the greatest temperament either. The Lloyd-Best spat in 2002 was not a savoury incident and I fully supported Lloyd's reaction of throwing his bat at the bowler.
Lawson - fit but his action is still not legal.
Powell - the forgotten man.
Taylor - not 100% yet, but getting back into match fitness.
Edwards - had several catches dropped off him, LBWs turned down and a superb delivery off a noball. Clearly fatigued in South Africa. Too much too soon.
Rampaul - not ready yet. Should be in the WC instead of SA.
Best - you've never seen him. That said, a brilliant judgement yet again Richard! You just don't cease to amaze me.