• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa

tooextracool

International Coach
It's potentially the worst selection we've made in ages. Onions hasn't been great, but he has been unlucky at times and he's match fit. Sidebottom, otoh, hasn't played for ages and he was never great against decent opposition anyway. Obviously the way we're batting it's probably going to be irrelevant.
Think this is rather irrelevant. The thinking here is fairly obvious. Hoggard swung England to victory here 5 years ago, and England wanted another swing bowler to partner with Anderson.

Onions has done ok, although hes been poor at times this series and whilst I dont think it is justifiable to drop him I can see the logic behind it. However, what I dont understand is the logic behind batting first after picking 2 swing bowlers and I am somewhat worried whether Sidebottom is actually fit.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought it was a kosher ball, TBH.

Different game with these two bowling, looks innocuous, not really that much in the pitch, certainly not for this flurry of wickets. Bounce the only major thing, which Onions would be able to exploit more then Sidey, I'd of thought.

Oh and can we trade in our Saffies for some new ones:ph34r:

shivfan

Banned
Someone describe what happened on the Cook wicket to me please
I've seen the replay again, and Morkel's foot landed with a part of the heel behind the line....

It doesn't matter whether the foot was grounded or not. Otherwise, lots more spinners would be no-balled.

Also, it doesn't matter whether the foot drags over the line or where it ends up. It matters where it lands, and on that basis, Morkel's decision was legal.

For once, Harper got something right, IMHO....
:cool:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
These South African commentators are easily the most one-eyed and biased commentators I have seen in a long time. I mean this is worse than listening to Gavaskar.
Yeah, they were as bad when AUS toured. Daryl Cullinan was the highlight - as Phil Hughes was flaying the SA bowlers around the park, he was still ripping into him. 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Dont think that Australian commentators are quite as bad, I have no problems listening to the likes of Ian Chappell, Tony Greig, Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry etc. Its only really Slater and Healy who bother me in that box because quite frankly neither of them add any quality insight and are particularly pro-Australian.

This SA commentary box has been b****ing the entire ODI series about all the South Africans playing for England and scoring runs. Now that Trott and Pietersen are having a particularly lean time in the test series, they have found other things like Broad and Anderson 'ball tampering'.

It is actually refreshing to listen to Boycott because, hes the only one really who is telling it like it is and in fact I think hes been a bit more pro-England thatn I have ever seen him before just to neutralize some of them.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blimey, Colly hitting two sixes before lunch on the first day of a Test match. You can't say that wasn't an interesting session.:unsure:

tooextracool

International Coach
Poor shot to end the session, but with the exception of that, this has been quite some display of batting from these two. Collingwood is batting like a man in the form of his life, and Bell has batted brilliantly. They need to keep this up, I dont think there is as much in this wicket as is made out to be.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
For the reason Shivfan pointed out, Harper was right about the no-ball.

Law 24.5.
Fair delivery - the feet
For a delivery to be fair in respect of the feet, in the delivery stride
(i) the bowler's back foot must land within and not touching the return crease.
(ii) the bowler's front foot must land with some part of the foot, whether grounded or raised, behind the popping crease.

There was a quarter of an inch of boot behind the line when his foot landed. So it's not a no-ball.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
For the reason Shivfan pointed out, Harper was right about the no-ball.

Law 24.5.
Fair delivery - the feet
For a delivery to be fair in respect of the feet, in the delivery stride
(i) the bowler's back foot must land within and not touching the return crease.
(ii) the bowler's front foot must land with some part of the foot, whether grounded or raised, behind the popping crease.

There was a quarter of an inch of boot behind the line when his foot landed. So it's not a no-ball.
CW < Harper. Who'd have thunk.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Steyn pinging Strauss first ball, meh.

Tuna taking 3-fer, meh.

Corringwood slapping two sixes in the first morning of a test, heyooooo!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The concern is that there isn't really an English equivalent of Morkel at the moment.
Broad's quite similar to Morkel IMO. I'm more concerned about the fact that South Africa's top order is stronger and less likely to get out to similar bowling.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm Broad's a lateral movement bowler. All of his effective spells have involved bowling a full length and looking for swing.

I'd compare him to Chris Tremlett.