• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting that more spinners seem to be coming through in Wellington/CD than usual. Houghton, Patel, Woodcock, Schaw. Pretty average pace attacks at the moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nah don't think they will be that dissapointed. They would only be batting for a day anyway considering its a 2 day match. They obviously tried to score at a decent click aswell. The dissapointments would have come from Strauss and Ambrose. Even though it's a 13 man affair England didn't have the usual 'deep' batting line, it was actually lighter than the batting line up will be on Friday.

Friday's line-up will be interesting as only one of Mustard and Ambrose (hopefully Ambrose) will play and it would be pretty much a shoot out between Shah and Strauss for a place in the side.

My predicted side for Friday

Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Shah
Ambrose
Broad
Hoggard
Harmison
MSP

Gives Strauss another go up top whilst also giving Vaughan some time there in case. Gives Shah a chance to bat where he would be batting if selected..KP and Collingwood will obviously have to come in, but Cook doesn't really need to play. Anderson looks out of the picture at the moment whilst Sidebottom is pretty much gauranteed a spot a could get a rest. Harmison, Hoggard and MSP could do with the practice while Broad gets a chance to push his claims to be ahead of Harmison or be part of an all seam attack if needed.
Pretty much agree with all of that. Anyone know if the 2nd game is going to be a proper one, rather than this two-day crap? Simply can never fathom this. They should be pushing for 4 days, not 2. 2-day games are useless for Test players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha bowled by a medium pacer.

Nah Hiini is good, ODI class maybe but tests I'm uncertain.

How the hell did a bunch of CWers get 400?

Out of interest, how did you convince them to play you?
Sorry Kieran but :laugh::lol:

Don't worry - posts like yours are near-inevitable whenever anyone links to a CW XI scorecard outside CWLand.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much agree with all of that. Anyone know if the 2nd game is going to be a proper one, rather than this two-day crap? Simply can never fathom this. They should be pushing for 4 days, not 2. 2-day games are useless for Test players.
Second practice match lasts three days. :)

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
1. There's no certainty about it. Bell's spot is assured, but Cumming would be playing in this current match if he weren't playing for Otago. Cumming failed in the first test against Bangladesh but hit back with a solid 40 in the second in his only innings. He was also only one of the few batsmen in South Africa to do anything. He should be given at least the first test to perform, before bringing in How.

I doubt Elliott will make the tour of England in any form. We have plenty of bowling in the side as it currently is.
I think you'll find he is on the verge.

6th best bowler in State Shield, 15 wickets at 20.33
4th best batsmen in State Shield, averaging 64.60

Over the past 3 or 4 months his name has been popping up in the thinking of the selectors.

Just to clarify, I would NOT support in his inclusion.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Without wanting to take the thread too off topic, what do you make of Luke Woodcock Heath?

I was in the same team as him as a teenager.
He scored a smashing 170-180 against Taita at Fraser Park on the weekend for Johnsonville.

That's about as much as I rate him.

Woodcock isn't much of a bowler to my mind. Patel and Houghton are both better bowlers, and he isn't a good enough batsman to get into the team on that basis alone.

Good one-day/20:20 batsman once he gets his eye in (if he gets his eye in), but not required for First Class if you ask me (which you did)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think you'll find he is on the verge.

6th best bowler in State Shield, 15 wickets at 20.33
4th best batsmen in State Shield, averaging 64.60

Over the past 3 or 4 months his name has been popping up in the thinking of the selectors.

Just to clarify, I would NOT support in his inclusion.
:wallbash: Just because he is having a good one day domestic season doesn't mean he should be anywhere near a Test side.