• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
boult was pretty good in the uae and i think sri lanka. he's certainly not limited to nz/english conditions now and hasn't been for a while.

doesnt make my nz all time team though. hadlee, cowie, bond are my trio.
Hadlee, Boult, Bond.

Hadlee-Boult opening combo would be pretty tasty.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given what happened the last time a racist was anywhere near a cricket team in New Zealand, I'm really not that bothered by some drunk bogan yelling.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Given what happened the last time a racist was anywhere near a cricket team in New Zealand, I'm really not that bothered by some drunk bogan yelling.
Nup,thought all day and still have no idea what this refers to.

It's a very undesirable situation but it doesn't require David White going hysterical and saying it ruined the day for everyone. The story is NZ won, not one ****wit out of thousands is a redneck.

Woodster

International Captain
in our own conditions and in asia england will struggle to get many in a combined side. in england, sa and australia they've got it better. we have a good team, albeit one that will probably still get creamed by average australian and south african sides in their own backyards (as we will see soon).

if these two had to team up to tour aus im taking broad no question. he loves a fight against the aussies. he and wagner are the first two bowlers on the team sheet.

balls

stop going off tired stereotypes.

cdg is 33 and bowls canny mediums, but he's easily one of the most talented, most natural timers and strikers of a cricket ball in the world. he is an immense talent, only held back by his stupidity and inability to read leg spin.

people need to watch this **** actually bat, and this spray is directed at kiwis too. the technique is good, the timing always on point and the power effortless.

old blokes can be talented and play like dumb young blokes. that's the charm of cdg. smartest, trolliest medium pacer in the world and one of the most gifted but extremely stupid batsmen.

i love watching him in a situation where he has to dig in like he did here because i enjoy the pain on his face when he's not allowed to try to hit curran for six every ball.
I'm not sure it's necessarily a tired stereotype, de Grandhomme averages 37 in first-class cricket (which tbf is better than what I thought it would be) and just under 30 with the ball which are indeed decent enough stats but not blow you away kind of figures. He bowls canny accurate medium pace, he shouldn't run through a side but he does a very decent holding job.

My point is he makes the most of the skills he has, that's not to say he's massively under-skilled, don't be too sensitive. It may not look pretty but he squeezes every ounce of skill he has out of himself (especially with the ball). It's a very good thing, it really isn't a criticism!

If he's as super talented as you say with his work ethic and discipline I'd imagine his batting average to be closer to 50 and his bowling average closer to 25.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion...s-innocence-with-racial-abuse-of-jofra-archer

This sort of **** has to stop.

The imbeciles in the media saying it's overshadowed the match are the only people contributing to it even coming close to overshadowing anything. Honestly, this is really ****ing annoying me. Do we have to be hysterical to stop it? How can we ever hope to flush it out completely? It's a societal issue that is becoming far less prevalent. It has **** all to do with sport, sport in this country, Mt Maunganui etc.

Woodster

International Captain
More great analysis from Dobell

Yes, George. Joe Root - one of the 4 best batsmen in the world and a modern great, can certainly play as many shots as BJ Watling. And Jofra Archer can bowl faster than Mitchell Santner. Do you think maybe we're not making like-for-like comparisons, here?

Do you think maybe you were a bit quick to eat up the "I'm just a limited player" comment from BJ Watling? You know, after seeing the range of reverse sweeps to the boundary and ramps over third man he started playing once he wanted to accelerate, or considering the fact he first made the side as an opening batsman, or that he made plenty of age group sides and limited overs sides over his career.

Nah, he's probably just more of a battler. That's probably it.
It's hard work giving compliments to the New Zealand players!

jcas0167

International Debutant
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...e-life-ban-alleged-racist-abuser-jofra-archer
Good to see this being taken so seriously.

It doesn't sound like surrounding spectators did much about it at the time, which is disappointing IMO.
It is. I wondered if the average cricket fan in attendance may not have been familiar with the abbreviation that Archer indicated was used, which may partially explain the lack of response from anyone in the crowd or security. In any case, good on Archer for calling them out. Hopefully they are found and banned.

In terms of the series, I suspect that this kind of controversy will help galvanise England.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Have to applaud NZ Cricket and David White's handling of it. Hopefully the perpetrator is identified, banned for life and referred to the police, as White says will happen.

Only through reacting like this do we stamp it out, and those saying it's no big deal might feel differently if they were on the end of it themselves.

It's been a terrible look for NZ internationally as well ...

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Only through reacting like this do we stamp it out, and those saying it's no big deal might feel differently if they were on the end of it themselves.

Damn straight on the bolded point.

And the poster who claimed that racism is on the wane is wrong, too. It's not. If anything it's on rise. I don't mean NZ (haven't lived there for aeons, so can't judge) but I believe across the globe, and definitely the UK. Or maybe it's just being vocalised by those who are on the end of it, which is obviously a good thing. Though, either way, it's not great.

But Kane has it covered. 'Not part of NZ values' he says. Phew.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to applaud NZ Cricket and David White's handling of it. Hopefully the perpetrator is identified, banned for life and referred to the police, as White says will happen.

If it's a terrible look, it's because people overreact. Why can't we see it in context for what it is? One person. One. I cannot remember the last sportsperson who came to this country and received such vile treatment. It is an absolutely isolated incident. It is not worth saying we're stained by it, it overshadowed the game, there's a black mark on Mount Maunganui. Bull****. One ****wit. Who speaks for none of us as Kiwis. And the mosque shooter wasn't a NZer, just so we're all clear. Yes, there's racism in this country. Far too much. But I truly believe it is declining and I truly believe there are very few countries as diverse and accepting as us. So again,one oxygen thief doesn't change that.

Please don't decipher it as this isn't a big deal. It is a big deal for that guy who should be banned for life. And I'm all for hate speech laws online etc. But there's no requirement for the 'it's ruined everything' crowd. There was a magnificent test win, enjoyed by thousands, and one ****wit should be calmly and strongly dealt with for an incident that has nothing to do with cricket but for the racist underbelly of society that just happened to rear its head at a test match.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
There was a magnificent test win, enjoyed by thousands, and one ****wit should be calmly and strongly dealt with for an incident that has nothing to do with cricket but for the racist underbelly of society that just happened to rear its head at a test match.
I agree with this, and think you've nailed it here.

The rest of your post is seemingly countering a point that not many people are making. Some may be, of course, but most see it for what it is. Which is precisely as you explained in the part of your post I quoted.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with this, and think you've nailed it here.

The rest of your post is seemingly countering a point that not many people are making. Some may be, of course, but most see it for what it is. Which is precisely as you explained in the part of your post I quoted.
Ok, cool. I'm very much at pains to explain I am not minimizing the effects of racism or saying it's a non-issue. It's an issue until it's a zero sum situation. But I have an issue with the article I posted, a sports hack who to be fair knows no better, who made it about sport, about Mt Maunganui, who made it about everything except what it is, which is an underbelly of society. And I believe this writer used it to create an agenda, a wave of reaction and hysteria and to create reaction over and above the on-field situation. Run it in the news section with that angle. And let a more able person write it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Im with SteveNZ on this. It was literally just one **** wasnt it. And yet you have articles saying this is comparable to incidents in european football where 2000 people are making monkey sounds and flinging bananas at black footballers.

I dont see what good comes from pretending this is like what happened with symonds at vadodara for example (I was at the ground that day and I can say with some degree of confidence that it was more than just the 4 blokes who were officially banned), when literally everyone agrees it was just one douchebag. Punish him, move on. Instead of trying to make some tired point about how everyone is is getting more racist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I don't know that it has tbh, because of the reaction by NZ cricket and the statement of the skipper in particular. It stands out because it's such a rare occurrence in NZ. By that I don't mean racism is necessarily a rare thing, I don't live there and have't visited in years so I can't say any more than there's elements of it everywhere, unfortunately. But I think I can comfortably say it's rare to read reports of that sort of thing from an NZ sporting crowd.