• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

Flem274*

123/5
remember that really creepy kane/boult fan fiction dan found a few years ago?

now imagine the author throwing sheeran into the mix

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
When was the last time a player batted in his same innings on the each of the first four days of a test as Nicholls will do unless KDub declares overnight?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I'm confidently predicting a full day's play tomorrow and Monday. Will that be enough for a result? It should be.
Hope this is the case, if only to keep David White convinced that tests need not be dispensed with from the calendar.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I'm confidently predicting a full day's play tomorrow and Monday. Will that be enough for a result? It should be.
If it's not it'll have to involve some seriously incredible defensive play from England (presuming an early declaration today). And seriously incredible is the only level they can play at if they want to redeem this game and possibly this entire demoralizing five month tour (test level any road).

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm thinking bat normally for the first (extended) session, go hard in the middle session, then declare at dinner and have a crack at them with the new ball under lights. That will give NZ four sessions to bowl England out.

Of course the tricky part is batting another two sessions.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Another quick hundred and then declare NZ
Don't really see what the point of the extra hundred would be really, especially given that time is becoming a factor. The pitch wasn't meant to detiorate so take the six sessions to bowl England out (especially as the weather seems unpredictable and you could easily lose one of those), it'll be hard for England to claim a draw then and incredibly unlikely that they'll put up enough to give NZ anything they can't chase. Draw or an NZ win are the only possible results here realistically so stack the numbers in your favor.

BeeGee

International Captain
Don't really see what the point of the extra hundred would be really, especially given that time is becoming a factor. The pitch wasn't meant to detiorate so take the six sessions to bowl England out (especially as the weather seems unpredictable and you could easily lose one of those), it'll be hard for England to claim a draw then and incredibly unlikely that they'll put up enough to give NZ anything they can't chase. Draw or an NZ win are the only possible results here realistically so stack the numbers in your favor.
That's nuts. That would give England a chance to win. Absolutely no need to do that.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Would be great if Nicholls can get a century with BJ, CDG, Astle and the seamers playing shots at the other end. Bat for another 50 overs I reckon

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
That's nuts. That would give England a chance to win. Absolutely no need to do that.
A chance? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Even if it wasn't 'this' England I really doubt six sessions is enough for you, on a pitch that has barely been played on remember, to erase a defecit of 180 odd then put up another couple of hundred then bowl NZ out for less than that. I'd take the declaration and bowl any day and be confident that even if England can creep into a lead it won't be enough to win. I think that gives you the best odds of forcing the result without really giving much away.

BeeGee

International Captain
A chance? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Even if it wasn't 'this' England I really doubt six sessions is enough for you, on a pitch that has barely been played on remember, to erase a defecit of 180 odd then put up another couple of hundred then bowl NZ out for less than that. I'd take the declaration and bowl any day and be confident that even if England can creep into a lead it won't be enough to win. I think that gives you the best odds of forcing the result without really giving much away.
Well, let's see what actually happens and then we'll know who's thinking is more in line with Williamson's.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Can I request the mods temporarily close this thread until the second test?

Nothing to see here and we really should (it's the duty of all cricket fans) be all focusing on Australia and the inherent problems with them (shamelessly plagiarized from Howezat)