• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England fans celebration thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
We used to watch the first 40 minutes of Dude, Where's My Car? every term if my memory serves me.
I remember Mrs Thrasher trying to get us to watch the film of A Streetcar Named Desire.

But she kept rewinding it to show the scene where Stanley throws the radio through the window because she "liked this bit".

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
You and me both mate when we went four down. Sods law meant I had prior commitments for the rest of the match which limited me to furtively checking my phone throughout the closing stages.

A wonderful day, especially being old enough to remember the defeats in 1979, 1987 and 1992.

Just to add that Kane Williamson being interviewed afterwards was as impressive as anyone I've seen in a very long time.
I'm going to listen to it again online later on the BBC website ....and probably do the semi-final too while I can .

After we turned the corner with our Test performances in the early 2000s , I thought one Day success would just sorta flow from the decent cricketers we had . It was a source of mounting frustration when we underperformed in 2007/11 and 15 . At least in 2011 we played a few decent games but words cannot express the sorrow of 2015 . It's not like I was seriously entertaining the notion of winning any , but a semi would have been nice . :)

I was one of them that doubted the New Improved England ethos at first ....and this World Cup has kinda exposed its weaknesses in 3 games including today , but it still won us the bastard Trophy ! :D

Big up to David Willey and Alex Hales and Tom Curran and probably others that have helped get us to where we are .There's a few that won't get the recognition they deserve .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think for the rest of my life I will regret not getting to watch this run chase. I hate my ****ing job so much right now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing much to do with anything, or of much interest to anyone. But I moved into the house I live in now on the day of the 1979 World Cup Final. I also discovered that I needed distance glasses on that day.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Congratulations to all England fans. The England LO side has been an extremely likeable one playing a very watchable brand of cricket for a while now and, the odd misstep aside, I think were fully deserving of being champions.

To all NZ fans (and they are the best here at CW in my years of active posting) this is as hard as luck can ever hit you in sports. But you have been part of the greatest ODI of all time IMO and can look back fondly at the part you played in hopefully reinvigorating the game and interest in it across the world where it may have slowly been giving in to other sports. There was only one WC winner but the final was contested by two champion teams who have made the sport richer by their displays.

PS: The same for the Wimbledon final too, but Roger :(

DriveClub

International Regular
Do English fans sing 'God save the queen' to celebrate? Or rule britannica or something along the lines,

Woodster

International Captain
Absolutely unbelievable day of cricket!!! I'm still reliving so much of it again today but there were so many pivotal moments when you thought we were out of it and then surely we can't lose it from here. Huge credit to NZ, many thought they were rightly given the underdog tag for this final but they showed every reason why they should never be ruled out, and not just becuase of their battling qualities but the quality they showed in key periods.

As for England, every single player has played a key role in the side at some point and each one is worth their spot in the team with some very good players unlucky not to be in the XI. But yesterday Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler in particular showed everything you knew they were capable but on the biggest of all one-day stages. Simply unbelievable.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So got home from work and watched the second innings. OMFG, I think I'm glad now I couldn't watch it live.........would have ended up in hospital I think.

Never seen anything like it in any sport in my life. Dead set ****ing insane end.

Groundking

International Debutant
Still can't beleive we managed to fight back so many times from when I thought we were dead and buried, unreal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't quite shake off the feeling the win has a bit of a valedictory air about it.

Archer is the only first XI regular under 28, Bayliss is definitely off, Morgan will be 36 by the next tournament and, as the injury to Roy showed, there's a vertiginous drop in quality outside the playing team.

Happy we got over the line, but, maybe it's my ingrained pessimism, this feels more like a swansong than an inauguration. It was now or never.

91Jmay

International Coach
I can't quite shake off the feeling the win has a bit of a valedictory air about it.

Archer is the only first XI regular under 28, Bayliss is definitely off, Morgan will be 36 by the next tournament and, as the injury to Roy showed, there's a vertiginous drop in quality outside the playing team.

Happy we got over the line, but, maybe it's my ingrained pessimism, this feels more like a swansong than an inauguration. It was now or never.
We certainly had to win this one, doubt we are anywhere close to favourites next time around.

Woodster

International Captain

There are seven players (from yesterday's XI) in the 28-30 age bracket, so you would say that's quite a perfect grouping when you're entering the tournament that has been four years in planning, all have good experience and are peaking around the same time. It's true that there really needs to be some succession planning now ready for the next 50-over tournament as there may be a handful of this team unlikely to be around for various reasons. New younger players need to be integrated but what a time to integrate players into the side around some outstanding players, World Cup winners.

It's also a very exciting time ahead, but right now surely we deserve to just enjoy this current side for how they've entertained us in recent times and what they have achieved!