• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Darts Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP Jocky Wilson

From the BBC.

The twice world champion & 80s legend passes away at sixty-two. As one understands he hadn't been well for a number of years. Was massive (literally and metaphorically) in his heyday.

Vale Jocky.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP Sid Waddell

From the BBC.

The unquestioned voice of darts, writer of Jossie's Giants, polymath and all round good bloke loses his fight with bowel cancer at 72.

Very, very sad loss. Had an amazing facility with language and seamlessly blended high culture with popular.

Vale Sid.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So Phil Taylor just got knocked out in the 2nd Round by someone 30 years younger than him.

He was paying something like $1.02 to boot.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bet Barney's odds have shortened a tad after The Power's exit.

Kid who beat him is the world junior champ or something, so my paper said this morning, so his #32 world ranking probably belies his darting abilities.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I enjoyed how the commentators of the second semi-final continually said that Lewis had played a really good game, despite the fact that he was thrashed 6-0.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Looked like his bottle went. Scoreline maybe flattered Wright, but Whitlock had plenty of chances to get back into the game and blew most of them.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I enjoyed how the commentators of the second semi-final continually said that Lewis had played a really good game, despite the fact that he was thrashed 6-0.
He didn't play badly tbf. He didn't play perfectly obviously (doubling was poor as we all know) but had he played like that vs 95% of the field he would probably have won. He'd have beaten MvG had MvG played like he did in the other rounds as well.

I don't like Lewis though judging from his interviews and general persona so I'm pleased he's out.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Lewis' averaged over 100 for most of the game, he just couldn't hit a double for love nor money. Just kept giving MvG chances, and you just can't do that. Nice to see MvG win it, very exciting player, love watching the quick players play, they make it looks so easy!

Redbacks

International Captain
love watching the quick players play, they make it looks so easy!
+1

seeing a 180 responded to with another so quickly is such an epic moment in a match between Lewis and MvG. For some reason watching Phil Taylor's ruthless brilliance is captivating also, when usually it's comes more naturally to barrack for the underdog.

andmark

International Captain
The father got Peter Wright at 33/1. I just can't see MvG winning this year as he's too naive and prone to relaxing half way into a game.

cpr

International Coach
And beating MvG tonight

Loving Barney comeback against Taylor - was always my favourite player growing up (diet of BDO only really). My throwing style is based on his.

Dad's been getting a lot of stick over the last week in the pub - as he does every year - as his mates keep recall a near 30 year old quote of my dads after seeing Taylor play in a tournament

'That lad Taylor will probably be a decent player if he ever learns how to ****ing throw properly'. He kinda admits he might've misjudged.

andmark

International Captain
That must be on a par with the people who probably said "Those Beatles are ****."

Rooting for Anderson tomorrow

cpr

International Coach
In my dads defence, Taylor has a rather different style of throwing to many, he almost punches the darts into the board rather than flights them in, the trajectory of his shots is a lot straighter than others. Being short his darts almost fly upwards to the 20 rather than coming down to land in it. It also took him a while to hit his stride, and he wasn't a popular player early on in that Bristow was effectively bankrolling his career whereas others - like my dad - were trying to balance playing darts with a full time job.