• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** County Cricket 2020

Tom Flint

International Regular
Essex were on top, until Overton came out to bat. There have been 2 really close (bad) umpiring calls early in this partnership, but since then craig has upped the scoring rate and somerset now dominating. Byrom has played very well none of the chances has been against him but this is his first score over 50 this year so great time to find form. Still chance for Essex to open this game up I wouldn't put it past harmer and co to take quick wickets and bowl somerset out for a reasonable score just over 300.
Although they can hold a bat all the way down with Gregory in next and leach at 11

Tom Flint

International Regular
This could well be the last time Alistair cook plays live on tv in a competitive game. Hope to see him at the ground next year but making the most of today incase we cant

tony p

First Class Debutant
Sir Alistair Cook currently 123no, can still bat a bit, he should keep on playing while he still enjoys it.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw some of this earlier and he was batting really well. Middled several cover drives in non-archetypal Cook fashion.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Should be a good finish, weather permitting.

Somerset lead by 191 with 3 wickets left. Would either score a quick 20 runs or declare overnight. No point batting on to long and having Essex 8 or 9 wickets down at the end.
You need 10 wickets, give yourself the best chance.
If Essex score the runs, so be it. If they get Cook for less than 30, Essex may get the wobbles.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So what happens if the match is drawn? Do Essex win by virtue of their first innings lead or does it go back to their group results?

Tom Flint

International Regular
It's doubt its going to rain but it's very overcast. Somerset will be confident looking out the windows this morning

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Cook didn't seem to like that decision. Somerset certainly haven't been short of an appeal when Cook is on strike.

Would it be better if after 5 days if it was drawn the title was shared?

I haven't thought too much about it but those sheffield shield or indian finals are often terrible. 500 in 200 overs v 550 in 225 overs.

Team winning on first innings sucks. IF you can't get a result in 5 days then so be it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook's "If I just look down and not at the umpire I can't be given out" tactic was very good

Tom Flint

International Regular
There were lots of good good appeals but a couple of terrible ones from the keeper and slips for caught behind when he was no where near it. Definately trying to convince the umpire by weight of appeals

Jack1

International Debutant
Good game so far. I still don’t agree with the forceful declaration at 120 overs in a five day game. Essex should have been allowed to keep batting.