• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Commentary Complaints Thread***

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm gonna be watching a lot of this WC in the US, I'm dreading this aspect of it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm gonna be watching a lot of this WC in the US, I'm dreading this aspect of it.
Haha US commentary is fairly tolerable these days, according to my experience with streams anyway.

Much better than what it was about 10-15 years ago anyway.

"He's shot that ball right into the goal sack, scoooorrreeeee" etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha US commentary is fairly tolerable these days, according to my experience with streams anyway.

The ones Bein (I think?) hire to cover La Liga are completely intolerable.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I imagine Simon Hill will be doing most of the play by play and if so he's fine. Most of the colour commentators are fine without being great with the exception of Foster who's awful. Much better than Australian RL commentary.

EDIT: Never mind were getting Martin Tyler. I didn't realise he's still going around tbh.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

They use a lot of English commentators for Prem now so may use some of them anyway.

What I am dreading is hearing either Jonathan Pearce or Alan Green on BBC this time, both are awful.

Spark

Global Moderator
Most of the US EPL broadcasts use the stock global feed with English commentators, don't they?

flibbertyjibber

Most of the US EPL broadcasts use the stock global feed with English commentators, don't they?
No, they have different commentators to Match of The Day on BBC at night and a lot of the ones they use aren't employed by Sky either. Must be individual contracts unless they are using the same feed as Setanta do in Ireland as I know they had their own bunch themselves seperate to Beeb and Sky.

Spark

Global Moderator
No, they have different commentators to Match of The Day on BBC at night and a lot of the ones they use aren't employed by Sky either. Must be individual contracts unless they are using the same feed as Setanta do in Ireland as I know they had their own bunch themselves seperate to Beeb and Sky.
Yeah that's not what I meant. I mean that the Premier League itself has its own broadcast feed and commentary team that it sells around the world (you can usually tell by that green-purple scorecard on the top left). Most of the US broadcasts I've seen (and indeed English-language global broadcasts) use that.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah that's not what I meant. I mean that the Premier League itself has its own broadcast feed and commentary team that it sells around the world (you can usually tell by that green-purple scorecard on the top left). Most of the US broadcasts I've seen (and indeed English-language global broadcasts) use that.
The US ones I have watched on rare occasions have had links from studio to the commentator so not sure. Those are only 3pm on a Saturday though and the Yanks do a big programme on it hosted by an English woman. The US pundits are terrible, make Robbie Earle seem like a brilliant one.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The UK one is usually Linekar, Shearer and somebody ''foreign'' to try and make it look balanced. ITV's usually has Ian Wright shouting. Cannot remember who presents it?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Does anyone remember when they gave Freddie Flintoff some spot with the drunk England fans, or did I just imagine that? They packed him off to World Cup 2006 as I recall, not bothered by the fact that Fred hates football.

Uppercut

Does anyone remember when they gave Freddie Flintoff some spot with the drunk England fans, or did I just imagine that? They packed him off to World Cup 2006 as I recall, not bothered by the fact that Fred hates football.
Yeah that hasn't stopped them employing Lawrenson for 20 years either.

Burgey

Fair dinkum. What are Aussie commentators like?
Simon Hill I find really good as a main commentator. Craig Foster I find terrible.

SBS usually have Martin Tyler do WC games for them, so for someone of my generation that's bloody fantastic as I always thought him wonderful, though he's well into his 70s now and I haven't heard him for a few years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Has been the best for the best part of twenty years tbh, though he's not as good as he once was imo.

Alan Parry another excellent commentator for mine. Quite like Rob Hawthorne as well.

Ian Darke and all of the ITV/ex-ITV mob are absolutely horrendous.