• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

thierry henry

International Coach
Kayes V2.0 is awesome. Averaging 40+ since returning to the test side. Is legit good now

And yea I get what you are saying, but it's not like Mushy threw his innings away. If anything, getting hit shows a willingness to stick in there and grit it out
Fair enough on Kayes, I was responding more to a certain hypocrisy in the narrative on Kayes ("he sucks" vs "he would've saved the day if not injured") but the narrative is probably unfair anyway.

And you're exactly right on Mushfiq, it's not a lack of grit but arguably getting injured by the ball while you are batting is related to skill and not just pure luck and hence sort of counts as partial credit to the bowler/discredit to the batsman. I'm not super comfortable with this point but you get what I mean.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone on the Stuff feed just made this comment:

Which is just ridiculous.
Oh jesus, I swear this sort of comment is a lot more patronizing than just describing them as minnows, who are on the rise, & who can now play periods of good cricket :laugh:

That is straight out insulting.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
See I don't know about that. The fact many of us predicted that if NZ could get within 70 runs of that first innings total that the lollapse was on the cards. Lolapases can happen in cricket, as it did with Pakistan when they toured, but what other Test side in the world would people have have actually predicted would completely fall over in their 2nd innings on a flat pitch with a lead of 65 and just 1 day and 1 session remaining?

The fact many of us, including ***** (ironically), actually saw this statistical unlikely outcome happening in advance speaks volumes about the fact they are still a minnow imo.
That describes NZ. Terrible 3rd & 4th innings team in tight games through most of the that I've been around, and before that we were minnow.

In 03 and 04 especially you could see these sorts of things coming even with quite a strong team. Let alone our lollspses v Pakistan from the 90s through the the 00s.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fair enough on Kayes, I was responding more to a certain hypocrisy in the narrative on Kayes ("he sucks" vs "he would've saved the day if not injured") but the narrative is probably unfair anyway.

And you're exactly right on Mushfiq, it's not a lack of grit but arguably getting injured by the ball while you are batting is related to skill and not just pure luck and hence sort of counts as partial credit to the bowler/discredit to the batsman. I'm not super comfortable with this point but you get what I mean.
I suspect Rahim having broken fingers and being subjected to a pretty unrelenting short ball attack may have contributed to his head injury. But yeah if we're only talking partial credit/discredit it's fair.

thierry henry

International Coach
Considering at the start of this match, everyone expected an easy innings victory on Day 3 to the Black Caps, Bangladesh have done exceptional - yes, there has been some piss poor play but that's been on both sides of the coin
They were exceptional in their first innings and awful ever since, hence the record they might be about to set.

Seriously, they conceded 539 and then scored 160. How much worse do they have to be over the second and third innings of a game before people concede that they ****ed up?

Blocky

Banned
That describes NZ. Terrible 3rd & 4th innings team in tight games through most of the that I've been around, and before that we were minnow.

In 03 and 04 especially you could see these sorts of things coming even with quite a strong team. Let alone our lollspses v Pakistan from the 90s through the the 00s.
Exactly this. I agree with Zinzan, in fact if you go back to the discussion pre-tea yesterday and how I in particular savaged Williamson for how meek the batting had been, how they hadn't accelerated or looked to declare, and that ultimately anything near 100 run deficit with 120-140 overs left to play would be a pretty good chance for an NZ victory.

We didn't earn this victory, it's very reminiscent of how we find ways to lose to the likes of England and Australia to be honest.

Zinzan

Yes, I remember some of those lollapses all too well. But can't recall us losing after scoring close to 600 first dig.

thierry henry

International Coach
I reckon there would be a lot of kiwahhing going on if the situation was flipped and we were unfortunate to have a wounded Latham and losing Watling. Particularly in a game they're likely to lose by 10 overs or less.
I thought this post meant kiwahhing as in "NZers complaining about how **** we are" but now realise it probably means "NZers complaining about how unlucky we are".

Oh well, I agree either way and if it was me I would be doing both. I certainly wouldn't be talking about how brave we are.

Zinzan

Exactly this. I agree with Zinzan, in fact if you go back to the discussion pre-tea yesterday and how I in particular savaged Williamson for how meek the batting had been, how they hadn't accelerated or looked to declare, and that ultimately anything near 100 run deficit with 120-140 overs left to play would be a pretty good chance for an NZ victory.

We didn't earn this victory, it's very reminiscent of how we find ways to lose to the likes of England and Australia to be honest.
Exactly, but the most telling thing for me is some of the same posters who were telling us that Bangers are no longer minnows, were pessimistically predicted this lollapse ahead of time, which says something about the sincerity of their claims.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

We haven't won yet.

thierry henry

International Coach
I suspect Rahim having broken fingers and being subjected to a pretty unrelenting short ball attack may have contributed to his head injury. But yeah if we're only talking partial credit/discredit it's fair.
Then you could say we injured him in the first innings and then kept on attacking the injury until he suffered a different but related injury. We basically TKOd him in about the 8th round.

Blocky

Banned
Exactly, but the most telling thing for me is some of the same posters who were telling us that Bangers are no longer minnows, were pessimistically predicted this lollapse ahead of time, which says something about the sincerity of their claims.
Yeah, but if you take the likes of ***** to be anything other than a thinly veiled trolling personality, then it's really on you for that.

39/2 - How laughable would it be if we're having to scrap out a draw here.

We haven't won yet.
And to be honest, I kind of hope we don't.