• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Mike5181

International Captain
In the last two years of ODIs at home we've won 21 games and lost 4. I know we've lost a few players recently but I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't win every game.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Fizz and Taskin combo along with Rubel, Mashrafe and Shakib is 50 overs of serious testing for these New Zealand batsman. Fizz with his immaculate line and length, Taskin with his pace and bounce, Mashrafe with his cricketing IQ, Shakib with his world class spin, and Rubel for being the fastest bowler in the side: I cannot see New Zealand even scoring above 250 on these small grounds. If Bangladesh can somehow negotiate both Southee and Boult, then they look the likely favourites. Don't forget, there's no Danny Vettori anymore, and Bangladesh will know that. I remember how Fizz destroyed Williamson.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or maybe Bangladesh just played well? From memory Bangladesh were 8 for 1 after 7 overs of Boult and Southee in absolutely helpful swinging conditions. They got through that, and attacked well later on. Guptill was also plumb lbw early on (Not reviewed) and went on to score a century.

NZ are being really overrated here now. On the basis of what I'm not sure, considering their latest limp display against Australia.
Lol, with respect, I don't think any NZ'ders are deluding themselves or overrating NZ to expect them to white-wash Bangladesh in our own back yard. We beat Australia here 2-1 just 9 months ago.

It's not being played in Dhaka mate.

TheJediBrah

This could be the breakthrough series for Bangladesh in my eyes, I still don't really rate them but if they can win an away series against NZ, I'll accept that they're getting there

Even if they compete I'll be impressed. But if they get thrashed, like NZ were against Aus just now, I won't be surprised.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A lot will come down to captaincy and mindset. We saw what happened in the England Test, and the measures they took that resulted in a win. They basically have to adopt a Baz mindset and have intent because I think they have the players and the skills, even if they don't quite have the experience in NZ conditions, to pull off a ODI series victory.

Whether they can take a Test off of us might come down to the confidence they gain or lose from the L/O stuff.

Zinzan

They might sneak a ODI or T20 game, but they're not winning a Test match in NZ unless we suddenly roll out a dried-up piece of mud from banks of Dhaka, and call it a Test pitch.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
I 'd say that Bangladesh now has a much better chance of winning in NZ, than NZ has in winning in Bangladesh right now, let's put it that way.

Zinzan

I 'd say that Bangladesh now has a much better chance of winning in NZ, than NZ has in winning in Bangladesh right now, let's put it that way.
Kind of meaningless thing to say since NZ aren't touring Bangladesh any time soon, let's just worry about this tour for now shall we?

Tec15

First Class Debutant
They might sneak a ODI or T20 game, but they're not winning a Test match in NZ unless we suddenly roll out a dried-up piece of mud from banks of Dhaka, and call it a Test pitch.
So "they might sneak a ODI or T20" now, eh? Already revising upwards from "getting their usual humiliating toweling over here" so that's good to see.

Flem274*

123/5
this thread is why no one supports the bangladeshi underdogs despite them having no winning record to hate

you're captained by a screaming choker and bigged up a bloke who averages about 60 in test cricket with the ball because he bowls over 140. last time round bangladesh were belted by martin guptill. put the boot in after you win a game ffs. you're wanking harder than furball over england or burgey against anyone without the self awareness.

basically you're posting like >censoredbytheantispadepolice<

Howsie

International Captain
So "they might sneak a ODI or T20" now, eh? Already revising upwards from "getting their usual humiliating toweling over here" so that's good to see.
Mate, Bangladesh will get thrashed. Sri Lanka have been given regular hidings in NZ the last couple of years, Bangladesh aren't getting close.

Zinzan

Not in the slightest, I still think it'll be a toweling. I was making the point if they're going to sneak any win, it will be an ODI or a T20 match, not a Test match.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting in NZ conditions.
Yeah very much so. Thing is he does not rely only on cutters or when the ball grips the surface as many thinks of him like that. He can bowl fast whenever he wants and fast means around 145 mark. His biggest weakness is that he's yet to learn how to take the ball swinging away from left handers. I've seen him doing it sometimes but not enough. So I suspect he is not too sure of that. He played 2/3 t20s for sussex in england before getting injured and did well iirc. But NZ conditions/pitches will be different now and a big test for him.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Key players:

Tamim : Test Avg. 50 in NZ in 3 tests. Could not convert 3 half centuries into centuries. Long time ago though in 2008-2010

Mahmudullah : Played 1 test in NZ and scored a century. Also the WC hundred.

Mustafiz : Does not have any experience in these conditions but still backing him to do well.

Shakib : Absolutely crucial that he steps up.

Players who might do well:

Mominul : Stepping into unknown territory for the first time. Likely to edge it to slips within 20 deliveries.

Shabbir : likes the ball coming into the bat and can play pulls better. Likely to chop into the wickets within 20 deliveries.

Taskin : Possibility of trying it too hard given the conditions and losing the plot.

Flop:

Mushfiq :

Surprise:

Nazmul Hossain Shanto

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Easy 3-0 victory for Bangladesh in ODIs. Bowling attack of Fizz, Mashrafe, Taskin and Shakib is of world class standard. The Bangladesh ODI team is the most experienced of all teams as of today: they have more than a 1000 ODI games between them under their belt.
That trio must have the most losses of all time on record.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Happy for Bangladesh they are getting a full proper tour. Hopefully they can acclimatise by the time the tests start.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, Bangladesh will get thrashed. Sri Lanka have been given regular hidings in NZ the last couple of years, Bangladesh aren't getting close.
What right do we have to be ****y? Hardly been a champagne year for us, has it. Bowlers out of form, no one apart from Gup scoring runs in ODIs, Ross possibly won't be back (?) or at least readjusting post surgery...unless they're green seamers, which as you'd well know are not always stereotypical NZ conditions past Xmas, we'll be pushed hard. And their seamers go okay, if they win tosses on green ones there's no reason they can't be successful. Spinners are better than ours, and they can bat.

That's not a doom and gloom post, I still think we'll win and if we can build on the Pakistan Test series + be much better prepared than we were for the CH disaster, we'll probably win well. But saying they'll be thrashed is kinda 'Bangladesh are Bangladesh, minnows that we wipe the floor with' cliched nonsense. They deserve more respect than that.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Bangladesh batsman only need to worry about 2 bowlers – Boult and Southee. New Zealand batsman on the other hand need to worry about 3 bowlers – Fizz, Taskin and Shakib. New Zealand spinners are not in the calibre of Bangladesh's, so Bangladesh batsman should smash them for 6s. New Zealand do have the superior batsman in Guptill and Kane, but the rest are not better than Bangladesh's. Note: I'm talking about ODIs here.