• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

thierry henry

International Coach
Taylor seems to have reverted from "can't see it properly and is trying to hit his way out of it" back to "is seeing it huge and is therefore pouncing on the opportunity and trying to smash everything". Not sure how to feel about it.

thierry henry

International Coach
Nude pitch, no threatening bowlers, everyone getting themselves out rather than being gotten out, type of wicket that Steve Smith despite his obvious inadequacies would have double tonned on, you're stuck on the "500 is a good score" rather than what the match situations were.
I'm not stuck on anything, 539 is just a good score in the second innings of a test when you're staring down 580. Like, always. Even if I was bowling to them from both ends.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taylor seems to have reverted from "can't see it properly and is trying to hit his way out of it" back to "is seeing it huge and is therefore pouncing on the opportunity and trying to smash everything". Not sure how to feel about it.
In terms of today, I'm not totally behind it. But jeez, does it feel like a reassuring sign for the next few years. Taylor struggling to find the ball was still able to grind out runs, hopefully this will see him be able to get back to his 2013-2014 best in the next few years.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm not stuck on anything, 539 is just a good score in the second innings of a test when you're staring down 580. Like, always. Even if I was bowling to them from both ends.
Blocky's one of those people whose view on cricket is that runs and wickets just come to you if the conditions are right.

He has more FC wickets than Mark Craig you know

jcas0167

International Debutant
Great comment on Cricinfo:

The Goat: "Williamson and Taylor will definitely be able to shoulder the responsibility of bringing home the result. They both appear to be striking the ball well almost like Phil Horne and Trevor Franklin in their prime

Blocky

Banned
Blocky's one of those people whose view on cricket is that runs and wickets just come to you if the conditions are right.

At least I know the difference between a popping crease and the bowling crease, despite not undertaking umpire training, you know.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I never managed to play FC cricket, did you?

cnerd123

likes this
Kane too good, but Taskin not handling it well.

Time to take a break and reasses. Mirage after the break, maybe give Kamrul a go, and then Shakib through to the end.

Disappointing but they gotta come out in this final session and keep on fighting. No point giving up now.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah exactly. It's just an objectively good score.
And in the circumstances of this game (and in most games where the team batting first have made 600-odd) by the time the team batting second have made 540 they've avoided the perils of a big first innings deficit and played themselves back into a position of relative safety, putting the onus on the team who batted first to either play out a draw or set them a target. Any runs beyond what NZ made would be almost redundant and would just be cementing the certainty of a draw. It's almost impossible to envisage a situation where 540 isn't a decent response to 600.

cnerd123

likes this
And in the circumstances of this game (and in most games where the team batting first have made 600-odd) by the time the team batting second have made 540 they've avoided the perils of a big first innings deficit and played themselves back into a position of relative safety, putting the onus on the team who batted first to either play out a draw or set them a target. Any runs beyond what NZ made would be almost redundant and would just be cementing the certainty of a draw. It's almost impossible to envisage a situation where 540 isn't a decent response to 600.
They also bowled well to BD in the second innings. Short and quick for the most part, found swing.

It's been a good Test.

thierry henry

International Coach
In terms of today, I'm not totally behind it. But jeez, does it feel like a reassuring sign for the next few years. Taylor struggling to find the ball was still able to grind out runs, hopefully this will see him be able to get back to his 2013-2014 best in the next few years.
Yeah, there's always give and take with Taylor. You either get the ungainly but grinding and gutsy Taylor who can't play big shots, or you get the Taylor who looks a million bucks but plays one shot too many. Best example of the latter was that lightning fast test century he made against Australia in 2009/10.

2013/14 was probably peak Taylor but even that version seemed less capable of playing explosive limited overs innings than he was earlier in his career.

On balance though I'd prefer the version of Taylor who at least has another gear to go to and who can add value to the T20 side or at the death in ODIs.

(all versions of LRPLT are pretty good btw)

viriya

International Captain
Oh man it's just like Bangladesh to break new ground then revert to their old self right after to give fans false hope.

cnerd123

likes this
It's hard to contain batsmen looking to score runs on this surface.

Which is again why it's hard to get too mad at BD's 3rd innings performance. They had the right idea. The executed it badly. The only real braindead thing was the runout at the end of Day 4. The rest can be attributed to simple failure to execute. Risks not coming off.

You could argue they should have shut up shop, but I kinda admire them actually looking to attack and potentially chase a victory rather than try and block out for the draw tbh.

Blocky

Banned
This is the only line Bangladesh have a chance of holding the run rate with, choking up that leg side and hoping that the slog sweep doesn't come off.

Blocky

Banned
Why does Williamson bother with those risky little pokes outside off when he's so capable with all of the other shots. I don't recall many situations of him getting out to the drive, pull or cut recently, most of his dismissals is that "soft hands" attempt to run it to third man.