• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in India 2019

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
not convinced that bumrah should play in nz

stress fractures don't heal that quick in any of the cases that i have seen in sports

should at least let him skip the ipl

if money is what he is worried about the bcci could do a lot worse than pay him the same amount not to play out of pocket
All cricketers with grade A contracts should skip IPL and BCCI should compensate the players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ashwin was the guy to win us the fourth test in England and keep the series alive, he failed miserably on a track where Moeen Ali ran through us.

Was also bowling with an abdominal strain coz we had no other bowling options in the tank. A bit like Siddle in the last Ashes test. If he called it quits and said he could not bowl, instead of bowling at 25% or whatever, we would have been screwed even more royally. I mean there is a reason he was an obvious pick for the first test in Adelaide.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think you should probably read the posts where i said ashwin should be picked ahead of jadeja and kuldeep before accusing me of petty bias.

But no, i donot think he was very good in the 2nd innings at centurion. In fact, I think his inconsistent and impatient lengths on a pitch offering assistance is what ballooned the target beyond a manageable one. He was even worse at southampton though.

What assistance? How did Maharaj go again? Like I said, it is petty bias to think he was poor when the reality was he was excellent in the first innings and just good in the second innings. Yes he was impatient but I won't say inconsistent, it was obvious he was erring on the side of aggression to get wickets quickly as we were well and truly let down by our batters (apart from Virat) in the first innings. And I already addressed the Southampton point with respect to his injury. When the management were happy or at least content with whatever efforts he had put in during both those tests, I don't see any reason to doubt further or retroactively label something "bad". And my larger point still stands. He is our #1 spinner and therefore, if the choice is for a #8 in NZ, he should be the clear answer. If they want to play Bhuvi as the 4th seamer and Jadeja at 6, then it is understandable. Otherwise, Ash over Jaddu and Kuldeep every day of the week.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
All cricketers with grade A contracts should skip IPL and BCCI should compensate the players.
Why?

The bowlers bowl all of 40- 50 overs in around 45-50 days.

Jofra Archer bowled 42 in one innings in the recently concluded test.

Ah please not about the travel. County cricketers travel harder

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What assistance? How did Maharaj go again? Like I said, it is petty bias to think he was poor when the reality was he was excellent in the first innings and just good in the second innings.
How is it biased though? Where is the bias exactly? Did Ashwin run over his dog?

He can be wrong, but I don't think you want to introduce bias into the conversation here.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Why?

The bowlers bowl all of 40- 50 overs in around 45-50 days.

Jofra Archer bowled 42 in one innings in the recently concluded test.

Ah please not about the travel. County cricketers travel harder
Because IPL is responsible for global warming.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How is it biased though? Where is the bias exactly? Did Ashwin run over his dog?

He can be wrong, but I don't think you want to introduce bias into the conversation here.

The bias is in the fact that he thinks hiis opinion ​ is the reality. It is not. To clarify, he thinks Ashwin bowled crap in a couple of tests. He did not. Just because you expected more from him does not mean his actual output was crap. And that is where the bias comes in.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The bias is in the fact that he thinks hiis opinion ​ is the reality. It is not. To clarify, he thinks Ashwin bowled crap in a couple of tests. He did not. Just because you expected more from him does not mean his actual output was crap. And that is where the bias comes in.
That's not bias ffs. You just think he's wrong and/or arrogant. You've accused him of no actual bias.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But why would I do that? Not like I hate him like daemon does. I maintained Ashwin should be picked as our spinner abroad before the overseas tours and was one of the few here who actually thought he did a great job at Adelaide, there were a fair few (mostly aussie fans) who inexplicably thought he bowled poorly there. I do severely dislike his woeful fitness levels though.

I just thought he was **** a few times at critical moments and you disagree with that. That's ok. You should accuse me of not knowing what the **** I'm taking about and that my opinion is really stupid instead of saying I'm biased.

Last edited:

vcs

Ashwin kind of created a rod for his own back by being so brilliant in 2015-16.

He should have kept the expectations low, like, let's say, Lyon, who gets wildly over praised for going from mediocre to merely acceptable in Asian conditions. :ph34r:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I haven't seen any 32 plus averaging bowler as over-rated as Lyon. His road to glory is being mediocre to plain average everywhere.

Look how much criticism Ishant Sharma had to cope over the years(justifiably) and he averages as much as Lyon now..

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
I haven't seen any 32 plus averaging bowler as over-rated as Lyon. His road to glory is being mediocre to plain average everywhere.

Look how much criticism Ishant Sharma had to cope over the years(justifiably) and he averages as much as Lyon now..
Lyon is a Harbhajan level bowler. Has great series/performances in between but loads of crap. Ashwin is way way better despite what some Australians believe.

Ashwin never has a "bad" series. His last truly bad series was Border Gavaskar 14-15. Post that he has been quality everywhere and hasn't had a single bad series. Even in SA and Eng 2018 he averaged 30.7 and 32.7.

Lyon has loads of series in the last few years where he has averaged 40+ (SA home/away, Pakistan home/away, SL home etc)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bat deep is the most reliable way to win in NZ. The pacers will take the wickets needed.

Jadeja would be better because Ashwin's batting has tanked. Simple as that.

Or take Bhuvi at 8 in a 4 pacer attack.

Bhuvi and Ishant open the bowling
Bumrah as first change
Shami with the old ball
Vihari and Rohit to bowl some off-spin

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But why would I do that? Not like I hate him like daemon does. I maintained Ashwin should be picked as our spinner abroad before the overseas tours and was one of the few here who actually thought he did a great job at Adelaide, there were a fair few (mostly aussie fans) who inexplicably thought he bowled poorly there. I do severely dislike his woeful fitness levels though.

I just thought he was **** a few times at critical moments and you disagree with that. That's ok. You should accuse me of not knowing what the **** I'm taking about and that my opinion is really stupid instead of saying I'm biased.

But I know you better.. :p I am just saying you had this idea that his performance was crap only coz it was Ashwin and had it been, say, Jadeja, you won't have said that. I am really not sure what else I should call it but bias. And he has been injured twice in 1 year but apart from that I don't see what is "woeful" about his fitness levels. He was fine till 2017 and it seems a clear correlation to the time he was dropped from white ball cricket and his fitness issues cropping up. And he has been fine since then and always been fit as far as I have seen. His fielding had also visibly improved (in terms of diving and stuff) during this home season.

And yeah, I never said you hate Ashwin but I am saying you are holding him to a different standard than you would for any other player.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bat deep is the most reliable way to win in NZ. The pacers will take the wickets needed.

Jadeja would be better because Ashwin's batting has tanked. Simple as that.

Or take Bhuvi at 8 in a 4 pacer attack.

Bhuvi and Ishant open the bowling
Bumrah as first change
Shami with the old ball
Vihari and Rohit to bowl some off-spin

Rohit has back issues and that is why he stopped bowling. Else there was a time when he was a very useful pie chucker in ODIs. I don't see him bowling much in tests. 4 paces means we will need at least 10-15 overs out of Vihari and I don't think that is sensible, especially given how most NZ wickets flatten out over time. I will play the same side as the Kolkata one for the first test and take it from there. Unless Bumrah is fit, in which case, he can come in for Umesh. If Ashwin's away record is considered woeful, you have to invent a whole new level for the crap that is Umesh's away record.

Spark

Global Moderator

It's almost as if context matters and dumbly comparing numbers blindly between different players in wildly different conditions is, well, dumb.

Most finger spinners are lucky to average below 50 in Australia. This I thought was common knowledge; apparently not.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Lyon has bowled better than Ashwin in the last 2-3 years imo. Finds a way to do a decent job in every series. It was pretty funny to watch him toil away in the series against India though. The pacers didn't bowl great and Lyon experienced what overseas spinners consistently do in Australia...when the pacers do well, Lyon comes in and chips in with a few nice wickets, when they're getting pummeled it's hard work.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
It's almost as if context matters and dumbly comparing numbers blindly between different players in wildly different conditions is, well, dumb.

Most finger spinners are lucky to average below 50 in Australia. This I thought was common knowledge; apparently not.
The only places Lyon averages sub 30 are NZ(where he has played 2 tests), Bangladesh(again 2 tests) and WI(5 tests). He has a mediocre record everywhere else.

I didn't speak of just his home record by the way.