• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia Squad discussion thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not giving Hauritz enough T20 games has seen Aus left with a substandard spinning option in a tournament where spin will be vital.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hauritz being dire the main problem iirc.
Yeah, well, obviously he had to be given first crack. But because they never played him enough, he hasn't had a chance to either improve, or be exposed, and play a spinner more suited to the format.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not giving Hauritz enough T20 games has seen Aus left with a substandard spinning option in a tournament where spin will be vital.
The funny part is that people have been saying spin is vital in the WI for some time. Yet big dumb OZ pick 4 quicks; one is crocked and was out of form anyway, the other is likely to pop something any day, another is a pretty average T20 bowler and has just had a lay-off (but has a really cool tatt) and the other is, well, Shaun Tait. But dey is really fast!!

I'm with Social, I wonder whether the selectors have actually been watching cricket. Picking Lee was comfortably the worst idea and probaby the worst thing for him too because, as in England, he busted a gut to get back early and injured the same damn arm again.

FFS.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The funny part is that people have been saying spin is vital in the WI for some time. Yet big dumb OZ pick 4 quicks; one is crocked and was out of form anyway, the other is likely to pop something any day, another is a pretty average T20 bowler and has just had a lay-off (but has a really cool tatt) and the other is, well, Shaun Tait. But dey is really fast!!

I'm with Social, I wonder whether the selectors have actually been watching cricket. Picking Lee was comfortably the worst idea and probaby the worst thing for him too because, as in England, he busted a gut to get back early and injured the same damn arm again.

FFS.
Whoa, just saw that. Looks pretty average.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He should have got a cricket-ball red one down the length of his bowling arm, imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Paine's on the tour I think - correct in thinking he isn't exactly shabby?

Haddin I feel is too reliant on the straight-down-the-ground shots IMO.

Hit_Wicket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Despite being a mainstay of the 20/20 side, Haddin has really struggled to contribute much at all, as shown by an average of 18 and strike rate of ~113. Always found it a tad strange that he hasn't been able to make the necessary adjustments in the shortest form given his often unwarranted spontaneous flamboyance in tests. Paine isn't a stand out in 20/20's as far as I'm aware, but injecting some youth into the team wouldn't be the worst roll of the dice, especially considering Haddin's persistent struggles.

andyc

Think a lot of it has to do with him coming in so far down the order, late in the game, which doesn't really suit his style.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Despite being a mainstay of the 20/20 side, Haddin has really struggled to contribute much at all, as shown by an average of 18 and strike rate of ~113. Always found it a tad strange that he hasn't been able to make the necessary adjustments in the shortest form given his often unwarranted spontaneous flamboyance in tests. Paine isn't a stand out in 20/20's as far as I'm aware, but injecting some youth into the team wouldn't be the worst roll of the dice, especially considering Haddin's persistent struggles.
Paine is a gun in T20s. Opening for Tassie in the Big Bash I saw him score around 50 (might have been high 40's) off around 22 balls including some massive sixes. I agree that putting him in the T20 side and keeping Haddin for tests and ODIs would be a good move. Less workload for Haddin, experience for Paine, everybody wins really.

andyc

The opening spots are sewn up with Watto and Warner though. Whoever is keeper is normally going to be coming in later down the order and swinging from word go, without the luxury of field restrictions.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The opening spots are sewn up with Watto and Warner though. Whoever is keeper is normally going to be coming in later down the order and swinging from word go, without the luxury of field restrictions.
Bat Paine at 3 then.

inbox24

International Debutant
After much trial by fire, the selectors have finally found the right team. They are due no credit though because this team should have been picked last year and there were virtually no other choices.

The only change to be made is for Callum Ferguson to come back in for Clarke but still have the latter around the squad for his captaincy skills.

andyc

After much trial by fire, the selectors have finally found the right team. They are due no credit though because this team should have been picked last year and there were virtually no other choices.

The only change to be made is for Callum Ferguson to come back in for Clarke but still have the latter around the squad for his captaincy skills.
Clarke's captaincy skills aren't needed with White in the team. And Hodge should be the one in there for Clarke, hands down.