• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Bracken has done his test selection any favours in this ODI series. Yes, he's been economical, but the Saffas have seen him off for one wicket in four games at 93. It doesn't really show any penetration.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Will it really though?. Australia's middle-order was fairly solid vs SA i'd say. Only Hussey was out of form, Symo lacking fitness & off-field situation didn't help him, plus the crazy ol selectors picked McDonald (although he tried) instead of someone like Hodge, D Hussey or even North.

Its still is my personal opinion though. But serious talk who in Hayden's retirement strenghtens the batting more Hodge or Jaques/Hughes/Rogers??. Surely Hodge.

No doubt Hussey has made Martyn #4 spot his own. But he clearly can handle opening the batting in test. The only thing that would hold this idea back is Hussey's current form.
Read my sig.

Take a number.

Why apply a band-aid when we've got two excellent long term solutions?

pup11

International Coach
Hughes now surely has to open the batting with Katich in the first test in South Africa, made 151 today whereas Jaques made 9.

Hughes has solid form behind him and as much as i like Jaques, i don't think he would really be in any sort of touch to comeback into test cricket and do well against a very good bowling attack in their own backyard.

One more thing i noticed, Krejza continues making reverse hundreds even in SS game, apparently has given away 114 runs of 29 overs and has picked one wicket, so not much seems to be changing there.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Read my sig.

Take a number.

Why apply a band-aid when we've got two excellent long term solutions?
Hussey could never be considered a "band-aid" option as an opener. He could very well open & be successful their for another 2-3 years.

Hughes although i have not seen him as yet, is no doubt putting together prodigy like performances. But for the upcoming tours to SA & ENG i am 100% behind the idea of conservatism.

If he fails vs Steyn, Flintoff and co. He will immediately be related from prodigy to another selectiorial error.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Isn't reinstating Jaques, who was the incumbent til injury and avergaes in the mid-40s, a more conservative move than rearranging your existing batting order and taking on a new middle order batsman (because we both know that Hodge probably wouldn't get a call up unless half the team got injured.)?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm well based on the players who will likely be available for the South Africa series, I think we'll be seeing:

Katich
Hughes/Jaques (Jaques really deserves it but the selectors may be keen to "rebuild")
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
MacDonald
Haddin
Noffke
Johnson
Bollinger
McGain

Hilfenhaus
Symonds
Hauritz
Some random fast bowler who will never be picked in an Aus squad again

The only changes that we might see to this are Symonds for MacDonald and Hilfenhaus for Noffke. Even though Noffke deserves his spot more.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I fear that Noffke may have missed the boat a little, given his age and lack of recent cricket, mind you I would still certainly pick him at number 8 for the first test, particularly now that Clark is ruled out, attack needs an experienced seamer who can offer a little more control and he fits the bill, plus theres his batting.

Hopefully the selectors bite the bullet regarding the number 6 spot and revert to 6 batsman and 4 bowlers with either Symonds, D Hussey, North or *gulp* Brad Hodge at 6. I'm not optimistic though, I fear McDonald will tour and play.

After today I'd be pretty suprised if Phil Hughes dosent tour, however I suspect they'll take Jaques aswell to give him a bit of extra time over there to show some form and he'll likely open in the tests.

In South African conditions I really don't see the point in picking Hauritz for the sake of variety/economy. I'd have McGain if he looks half-decent and he'd still be unlikely to get game time in a test match.

I would also have Hilfenhaus in the first XI ahead of Bollinger, I know its a bit inconsistent however my gut feeling is just that long term Hilfenhaus is going to figure more prominently in Australia's plans, has very solid fundamentals quite similarly to Siddle really. Sharp, good control, great stamina, swings the ball.

My Test team for South Africa-
1.Katich
2.Jaques
3.Ponting*
4.M Hussey
5.Clarke
6.D Hussey
7.Haddin+
8.Noffke
9.Johnson
10.Siddle
11.Hilfenhaus

Hughes
Bollinger
McGain

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I don't think Bracken has done his test selection any favours in this ODI series. Yes, he's been economical, but the Saffas have seen him off for one wicket in four games at 93. It doesn't really show any penetration.
Bracken bowls very different in FC Matches to ODIs though. The closest we got to FC Bracken was in the third ODI where he was incredible, with great pace and movement.

Would go

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Noffke
Krejza
Johnson
Bracken

or something similiar. Maybe Bollinger and Siddle in the bowling and someone else at 6.

pup11

International Coach
I fear that Noffke may have missed the boat a little, given his age and lack of recent cricket, mind you I would still certainly pick him at number 8 for the first test, particularly now that Clark is ruled out, attack needs an experienced seamer who can offer a little more control and he fits the bill, plus theres his batting.

Hopefully the selectors bite the bullet regarding the number 6 spot and revert to 6 batsman and 4 bowlers with either Symonds, D Hussey, North or *gulp* Brad Hodge at 6. I'm not optimistic though, I fear McDonald will tour and play.

After today I'd be pretty suprised if Phil Hughes dosent tour, however I suspect they'll take Jaques aswell to give him a bit of extra time over there to show some form and he'll likely open in the tests.

In South African conditions I really don't see the point in picking Hauritz for the sake of variety/economy. I'd have McGain if he looks half-decent and he'd still be unlikely to get game time in a test match.

I would also have Hilfenhaus in the first XI ahead of Bollinger, I know its a bit inconsistent however my gut feeling is just that long term Hilfenhaus is going to figure more prominently in Australia's plans, has very solid fundamentals quite similarly to Siddle really. Sharp, good control, great stamina, swings the ball.

My Test team for South Africa-
1.Katich
2.Jaques
3.Ponting*
4.M Hussey
5.Clarke
6.D Hussey
7.Haddin+
8.Noffke
9.Johnson
10.Siddle
11.Hilfenhaus

Hughes
Bollinger
McGain
I think Noffers criticising the selectors openly is the worst thing he might have ever done, though it was fair enough for him to feel pissed for being ignored, but the wise thing for him would have been to wait for his chance.

Anyways this is what the 15 man squad is going to be
1.Simon Katich NSW
2.Phillip Hughes NSW
3.Ricky Ponting TAS
4.Michael Clarke NSW
5.Mike Hussey WA
6.Andrew Symonds QLD
7.Brad Haddin NSW
8.Mitchell Johnson WA
9.Doug Bollinger NSW
10.Peter Siddle VIC
11.Ben Hilfenhaus TAS
12.Nathan Hauritz NSW
13.Phil Hughes NSW
14.Bryce McGain VIC
15.Ryan Harris/ Ashley Noffke QLD

Can't see them not taking Symonds to South Africa after letting him off the hook with a $4000 fine, so would be there, both Haurtiz and McGain would also be picked, the rest of the blokes virtually pick themselves.

The last bowler' spot is pretty much up for grabs, they might pick McDonald instead, but i don't see much use in picking him, whereas picking an extra seamer in either Harris or Noffke would make a lot of sense, but as i said before, i doubt Noffke would be picked.

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
MEANWHILE...

South Africa are also facing a selection crisis: who will Ashwell Prince replace?

Some people say drop McKenzie, and let Amla open (others would prefer de Villiers to open). Some say drop Boucher, let de Villiers keep and bat him at 7, play Prince at 5 and Duminy at 6. Personally I agree with this. Of course, nobody has even mentioned dropping Duminy.

Then there's the predicament with the bowlers. Many people are saying Botha should take the place of Harris (totally agree! He can bowl tightly if needed but he can turn the ball and flight it better than Harris. Plus his experience leading the team will help - make him v/c). Some say wait for the Pakistani prodigy/mishap Imran Tahir to become eligible in April. Morne Morkel and Steyn are in the team, but some want Ntini replaced by the young gun Tsotsobe. I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in time, but now will be too early.
I reckon this will be the team (though it's not my first choice):

Smith (c)
Amla
Kallis
de Villiers
Prince
Duminy
Boucher (wk)
Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini
12th - McKenzie

I would take out Harris and Boucher for Botha and McKenzie. Any thoughts?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I don't think they'll drop MacKenzie, so Duminy will have to give way.

Not only would replacing Botha with Harris be a better bowling option, but it strengthens that long tail with him coming in above Morkel. Even though AB won't keep wicket, I think SA's best side will be:

Smith (c)
Neil Mac
Amla
Kallis
Prince
Duminy
AB (wk)
Botha
Morkel
Steyn
Ntini

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I see a lot of people picking Dave Hussey in their squads and I always think why, why Hussey?

howardj

International Coach
I can confirm it will be a 14 man squad which will be picked on Wednesday.

Mine would be:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Jaques

Haddin

Hauritz
McGain

Johnson
Bracken
Siddle (if fit, otherwise Bollinger)
Hilfenhaus

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't reinstating Jaques, who was the incumbent til injury and avergaes in the mid-40s, a more conservative move than rearranging your existing batting order and taking on a new middle order batsman (because we both know that Hodge probably wouldn't get a call up unless half the team got injured.)?
If Jaques wasn't out injured, then yes.

But unlike his bowling attack with his equivalent Noffke, given the strenght & depth in the batting. I see no reason why Hussey can't be chosen to open & Hodge come into the middle order @ 4(although its disappointing to succumb to the reality that selectors are treating such a quality player like Hodge with such contempt, who some nations would love to have ATM). Even in Hodge probably only lasts a year.

howardj

International Coach
If Jaques wasn't out injured, then yes.

But unlike his bowling attack with his equivalent Noffke, given the strenght & depth in the batting. I see no reason why Hussey can't be chosen to open & Hodge come into the middle order @ 4(although its disappointing to succumb to the reality that selectors are treating such a quality player like Hodge with such contempt, who some nations would love to have ATM). Even in Hodge probably only lasts a year.
Dodge is out injured at present.

For the Pro20 WC, yes, he should be selected.

For the Test team, however, no.

We don't need another player in their 30s.

34 at that.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think they'll drop MacKenzie, so Duminy will have to give way.

Not only would replacing Botha with Harris be a better bowling option, but it strengthens that long tail with him coming in above Morkel. Even though AB won't keep wicket, I think SA's best side will be:

Smith (c)
Neil Mac
Amla
Kallis
Prince
Duminy
AB (wk)
Botha
Morkel
Steyn
Ntini
Tough ones

Mackenzie was one of SA's few failures in Oz but is obviously highly regarded and dropping him at this stage might signal the end of his career

Prince has been a tremendous servant to SA cricket and Duminy only got a look in because he was injured

Duminy is far from the finished article and I'm not convinced that he's as good as the Oz commentators would have you believe (they were basically filling in air time for much of the one-sided series with ridiculous hype over both he and Warner)

Harris did relatively well in the test series whilst Botha was very good in the ODIs

AB was serviceable with the gloves in the ODIs and the omission of Boucher arguably adds depth to the batting order

However, tests are different to ODIs and I'd be amazed if they left out either Harris or Boucher