• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in South Africa***

open365

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I agree - it's like a team going to Stamford Bridge to play Chelsea, going 10-0 down at half-time and then coming back to win in the last minute. It's insane.
Not really.

Ot was a belter of a pitch,against mediocre bowling,with the best batting side in the world.

Then South Africa had the same pitch, against dreadfull bowling, with a fantastic batting line up, and knowing that they had to get 434 and that they could get 434.

Swervy

International Captain
open365 said:
Not really.

Ot was a belter of a pitch,against mediocre bowling,with the best batting side in the world.

Then South Africa had the same pitch, against dreadfull bowling, with a fantastic batting line up, and knowing that they had to get 434 and that they could get 434.

I think what you said detracts from the sheer scale of what both teams accomplished today.

Sure, South Africas bowling wasnt too good, but it wasnt 434 runs worth of bad bowling,that was astonishing batting by Ponting and co.

SA's effort was certainly aided by probably some of the worst Australian bowling I have seen since the mid 80's (why did Lewis bowl 10 overs???)...but it wasnt 438 runs worth of bad bowling. The last half of Gibbs' innings is probably about as good a spell of hitting as you will see (up there with Astles double hundred, and Ponting in the World Cup final)...I think Gibbs was 'in the zone' and I would say probably any bowler in the world would have got the same punishment.

In the future, I think this game today will be looked back upon as a further stepping stone for ODI....teams will now think that it is possible to get way beyond 400 without wild slogging (and there was infact very little of that in this game), and more importantly teams will realise that it is possible to chase down such a score.

It kind of reminds me of when NZ chased down 297 vs England in 83, which was unheard of back then...after that, the scores of 250 plus increased...and then 300's became fairly common. Welcome to the era of mega scoring in ODI's

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I love this australian team to the death & i'd support them throught anything but what i saw this afternoon was the most embarrassing bowling display i've ever seen. Christ 434 bloody f***ing runs and you loose. Mick Lewis should NEVER play for Australia again what a fool he saw Gibbs backing away trying to hit over cover & kept bowling it their, Lee is an embarrasment as death bowler these days could ever get ONE BLOODY ball in the block hole in the last over, Clark is another dunts like Lewis bowling just into GIbb's hands, only Bracken out of all the seamers tried, while the Symo & Clarke were good in the circumstances. An Ponting's stupid decision to bowl Lewis at the end was just gosh one of the worst tactical decisions i've ever seen him make as a skipper.

Without McGrath & non-swinging conditions Australia's ODI attack is as worst as the rest. They need to get Tait into this OD team. But this ignorance is over time for the test & this bloody team better be on the field come thursday:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Kasprowicz
Tait

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
It kind of reminds me of when NZ chased down 297 vs England in 83, which was unheard of back then...after that, the scores of 250 plus increased...and then 300's became fairly common. Welcome to the era of mega scoring in ODI's
Hm. We didn't see too many 400s in English domestic cricket after Ali Brown had fun for Surrey in that C&G match...

Steulen

International Regular
Definitely a freak match. But it might be very significant in that South Africa have The Edge (lame Damien Martyn pun, sorry 'bout that) over Australia for the first time since Herschelle Gibbs dropped the World Cup. I'm very curious to see what the Test series will bring.

open365

Swervy said:
I think what you said detracts from the sheer scale of what both teams accomplished today.

Sure, South Africas bowling wasnt too good, but it wasnt 434 runs worth of bad bowling,that was astonishing batting by Ponting and co.

SA's effort was certainly aided by probably some of the worst Australian bowling I have seen since the mid 80's (why did Lewis bowl 10 overs???)...but it wasnt 438 runs worth of bad bowling. The last half of Gibbs' innings is probably about as good a spell of hitting as you will see (up there with Astles double hundred, and Ponting in the World Cup final)...I think Gibbs was 'in the zone' and I would say probably any bowler in the world would have got the same punishment.

In the future, I think this game today will be looked back upon as a further stepping stone for ODI....teams will now think that it is possible to get way beyond 400 without wild slogging (and there was infact very little of that in this game), and more importantly teams will realise that it is possible to chase down such a score.

I agree,the batting was out of this world,and i say they're probably too of the best innings ever,but what i'm saying is that it shouldn't be any suprise that a match turned out like this.

the_last_rites

Cricket Spectator
Swervy said:

ever heard of "being belted out of the attack" . Well on 2nd thoughts u obviously have, since u think thats what happened with the SA bowlers, but are u too bigoted to conced that the same was the case with the Ozzy attack. How could u know for sure that Lee wouldnt have gone for 113 had he completed his 10 instead of Mick Lewis?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im lost for words. What an incredible match. Firstly for a team to post 438 and then for the other side to beat it!

Australia should definately be concerned that in recent times they've posted two massive scores, only for both to be chased down.

open365

Steulen said:
Definitely a freak match. But it might be very significant in that South Africa have The Edge (lame Damien Martyn pun, sorry 'bout that) over Australia for the first time since Herschelle Gibbs dropped the World Cup. I'm very curious to see what the Test series will bring.
I dunno about that,it might have a survere effect on the aussie pace bowlers losing after posting 434,but then again,it was kind of the same story for both sides,even if south africa scored an extra run,tbh i think they'll both be in shock.

Swervy

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Hm. We didn't see too many 400s in English domestic cricket after Ali Brown had fun for Surrey in that C&G match...

I think the Ali Brown innings game was somewhat of a freak game to be honest..one of the boundaries was stupidly short...and by the way a 400 score happened in the second innings of that game:)

400's will tend to be harder to come by in England though really due to the pitches

Anyway...international cricket tends to develop tactically and technically faster, teams tend to latch onto another teams successful approach in international cricket.(see increased run rates in the second half of 80's, the pinch hitting phenomenon of the 90's etc)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
<Voltman books a front-row seat for aussie’s public hanging>
yall mock me if yall want, i was in my right to believe Australia would defend this total since you dont score 434 runs in ODI's every day and lose.

Swervy

International Captain
the_last_rites said:
ever heard of "being belted out of the attack" . Well on 2nd thoughts u obviously have, since u think thats what happened with the SA bowlers, but are u too bigoted to conced that the same was the case with the Ozzy attack. How could u know for sure that Lee wouldnt have gone for 113 had he completed his 10 instead of Mick Lewis?
pardon???

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Clark is another dunts

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Honestly, you couldn't make that up...

Does anyone here have shares in Australia egg companies? Sales will be shooting through the roof this morning.